the modern distiller

Very new to distilling

let us know how we can support your journey into distilling

Very new to distilling

Postby Grumpy Dwarf » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Hi, I am looking at getting into distilling. I really have no idea what unit is the best. I have looked into the T500 unit .
Is this going to suit a complete novice. :confusion-confused:
Grumpy Dwarf

Re: Very new to distilling

Postby JayD » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Welcome to the forum, the still you have mentioned may suit you lnitially you will quickly outgrow and regret buying it. Have a good read through our how to build forum and you may find an easy build that will be worth the money you invest in building it. :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby res » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:11 am

Welcome aboard GD :obscene-drinkingcheers:
It's also worth thinking about what type of spirit you mostly want to make. Most stills can be adapted to make a wide variety but some are just better suited to some tasks more than others. Modular stills on keg boilers are very popular around the forums and can usually be built or purchased at a reasonable price, then upgraded with little to no waste of components.
Happy researching. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
Winston Churchill
res

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:38 am

To distill, you first need two things - knowledge and the proper hardware. Learn the fundamentals first by reading the forums and then go about doing the research you need to build or buy a proper still. You can certainly build one for a lot less money than purchasing one ready made. There are extremely easy builds, extremely difficult builds, and everything between. Depends a lot on your skills and the tools you have available. That said, if you have zero skills, you can build a decent still.

Be aware that, as your interest in this hobby grows, so will the expense. Good luck with it and stay safe.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:33 am

Normally, I don't raise the subject on the forums anymore, but it sounds as if you are in the exact state of startup that I addressed in my book, and you may find the information in that book to be more "concentrated" than that spread across all the forums.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since I wrote it 6 years ago, but the book lets you do some simple experimentation at first, and build a potstill in steps, working up to pretty much the still I run now in a tiny commercial distillery.

It's all about potstilling, so if you're looking at running vodka from a column still, it's not for you.

The link to Making Fine Spirits on my website is in my .sig file.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby Tassie Tiger » Mon May 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Cheers TT
Tassie Tiger

Postby Lowie » Tue May 02, 2017 4:47 pm

Welcome to the forum mate. I've been using the t500's predecessor for over 10 years and have mad enough some pretty good booze. - both vodka and bourbon. A piece of advice, don't get sucked into the sales pitch from the home brew shop like I did in the early days, do your research (there's plenty of forums all with different opinions), decide how much you want to spend and have a crack. If you can pick up an old hbs reflux still on the cheap to practice with then that might be a good start for you. Took me over 10 years to realise that a bubbler was for me! :handgestures-thumbupright: cheers, Lowie
Lowie

Return to New to Distilling