the modern distiller

fining - after fermentation

fining - after fermentation

Postby CalHiTower » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:37 am

Hi all,

Simple question: does anyone clear their ferments by using the 2-stage (I think it's Ketosol/Chitosan...sp?) finings?

Thanks in advance,

Cal :confusion-confused:
CalHiTower

Re: fining - after fermentation

Postby RefluxEd » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:52 am

I prefer to not add anything to my ferments. Just wait a week and everything should clear.
2 inch BOKA/LM/VM
Bubbler with 14 4x3x4 inch tees and 15 bubble plates under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.
Love it!
RefluxEd

Postby res » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:40 pm

I do most ferments in a temp controlled fridge. When they finish I drop the temp to 0°. Does a really good job at clarifying the wash. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
Winston Churchill
res

Postby CalHiTower » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:52 am

Makes sense...I really appreciate the input.

In all grain brewing since mid 60's...always cleared by gravity and temp control. When refluxing for making gin, I started using the liquid carbon and the 2-stage clearing agents...By StillSpirits...seemed to have a cleaner taste...but the liquid carbon was messy and the brewing fridge always seemed to have a beer in it fermenting away.

I never used them for whisky, but the last whisky striping run I tried just using the clearing agents after the ferment. I use 72g of Whisky yeast w/ AG by StillSpirits at 65oF. Takes about 4-5 days to get down to .995 from 1.068 or so. I'm going to strip it today...I'll find out if I dug my self a hole or not. I'd rather not use this stuff, but truth be told, my children got me 20 packs of the 2-stage and 20 packs of the liquid carbon for Christmas. :-o . I'm feeling like I'd like to use them, but don't really think they're necessary either...even for making gin. The TPW wash really comes out clean using no finings at all...and so does the whisky wash for that matter. ;-) .

Thanks again for the input. As an aside, for those who have been struggling with separating rye whiskey and corn whiskey mashes, I've been using at least 10% rice hulls in the recipe and they can be sparged and separated beautifully. The rye recipe is 70% malted rye, 10% Golden Promise, 10 % flaked corn, 10% rice hulls. For corn whiskey, 60% flaked corn, 20% Golden Promise, 10% rye, and 10% rice hulls. Sparges great...no bags, etc. For my single malt, 1/2 Golden Promise, 1/2 British peated malt, NO rice hulls. You probably lose a bit of flavor by sparging rather that fermenting on the grain, but the trade off is worth it to me. FWIW.

Regards,

Cal
CalHiTower

Postby bigfoot » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:23 am

Mate, the carbon process was developed by the Home brew shop industry to increase profits...
If you want proof, do as I have done - undertake 2 same washes, side by side under same conditions.
Clear 1 naturally and 1 with carbon - then destill...
I doubt you'd ever add in brew shop chemicals again...
BF.
bigfoot

Postby JayD » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:30 am

I really don't think it is necessary for a wash you are going to distill, a wash for beer is another thing. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JayD

Location: Tasmania, home of world class Whisky...jaydboka@gmail.com, Travelling.

Postby CalHiTower » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:59 am

+1 Bigfoot. I don't have to hear that again. The liquid carbon and 2-stage are going bye-bye...maybe a return for store credit??? :lol:

JayD...you're right! Beer is totally another story... :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Cal
CalHiTower

Postby Tassie Tiger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 pm

G'day CHT, I just use time & gravity to clear mine.
All grains seem to ferment out in about 3-4 days then I leave them for a few weeks for all the sediments to settle before I do the stripping run.
I'll then rack the ferment barrel left overs in 35 litre Glass jars & that way I end up with a bonus batch to strip about every 3rd batch.
My Distilling motto "Patience yields for those that can wait".
Cheers TT
Tassie Tiger

Postby Fraser » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:06 am

I can't speak for beer, but we've used Ketosol and Chitosan for wine clarification. But that's really (mostly) just for aesthetic reasons because the public prefers a crystal clear white wine. Cold stabilization helps too. We don't have temperature controlled tanks, so we just throw open the windows back in the tank room in January for about a week and that seems to do the job. In wine it crystallizes out the tartaric acid (wine diamonds) and also drags whatever turbidity is left down to the bottom of the tank.

For a wash I would think it's good enough to just let time and gravity let things settle out, and then carefully rack the clear wash a few inches above the bottom.
Fraser

Return to All Grain