the modern distiller

all grain wheat batch

all grain wheat batch

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:58 am

hello everyone today i tried a mash with a new wheat sample the mash went perfect quick conversion good yield but when i pitched the yeast it went nuts foaming huge mess had to split it into 2 barrels to contain it . i added vegetable oil before pitching at same time as i adjusted the ph hopeing this would make up for being out of anti foaming agent ..no luck . does anyone have any home remedies until more anti foam gets here in the mail . thanks
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Re: all grain wheat batch

Postby Tassie Tiger » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:23 am

Hi Tim, I usually put a bit of olive oil in the pot when doing an AG stripping run but I have not heard of it being used when adding the Yeast Bomb.
After a few similar experiences & learning the hard way why it's called a Yeast Bomb !
I now leave plenty of Head Space in the fermenter before adding Yeast.
Had a batch of mash a few months ago that sat idle for a few days so put a band heater on the outside, still no bubbles.
Decided to give it a stir & aerate it a bit more. Bang it went off & ended up loosing about a 1/4 of it when it settled down.
Head Space didn't help me that time.
Cheers TT
Tassie Tiger

Postby just sayin' » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:23 pm

A block of ice may slow it down with out killing it...
just sayin'

Postby Swedish Pride » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:53 am

I've done all malt wheat and all unmalted wheat, never had the issue you describe, I just went with plain old bakers though
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby crow » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 am

I heard of em using soap powder to stop foam ups and crazy caps years ago but really I think ya just need to learn what head space ya need for the wheat ya using. Could be hi protein , could be high nitro, it doesn't matter really as the vigorous ferment is indicating a health and robust yeast activity. I can't see how hindering that will improve your result and may even stress the yeast enough to produce some esters you may not want.
Like where ya going though, bit of a fan of Makers Mark and W L Wellers.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Return to All Grain