the modern distiller

Livestock feed barley.

Livestock feed barley.

Postby vita19 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:27 pm

just got this from local Farm Supply store , paid $11 CAD. What the hell is steam rolled barley? :confusion-confused: Is that safe to use?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vita19

Re: Livestock feed barley.

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:56 pm

Never used it, but I think it's good to go. I think it's steam rolled to make it more digestible. Be careful with seed barley. It's sometimes treated with fungicide. But, the rolled stuff is meant for eating and should be safe. If there's an ingredient tag, check it for additives.
S-Cackalacky

Postby vita19 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:00 am

no more info or tags on bag. now I am scared ( ....treated with fungicide).
vita19

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:49 am

No, you misunderstood. It's some of the seed grain (for planting) that may be treated. The steam rolled stuff is probably OK. Use it!
S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:53 am

BTW - what are you planning to do with it?
S-Cackalacky

Postby vita19 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:26 pm

I Will try to ferment it.
vita19

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:07 am

Well duh. Will you grind it and mash it with malt/enzymes, or maybe do a sugarhead mixed with other grains?
S-Cackalacky

Postby vita19 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:22 pm

i am using 20L Braumeister.
vita19

Postby Swedish Pride » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:49 pm

it will not convert on it's own, you need to add enzymes.
Malted barley converts itself, unmalted needs help from enzymes in some form.
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:56 am

im sure not a expert on different types of barely but we have mashed steamed rolled feed barley before and the yeild is poor , it does have some starch to convert but it seems its mostly proteins . some times good malting varieties like harrington dont make the grade to go as malt and are sold as feed and they mash really well but have a low diastetic power .
you can buy good pale malt barley for 32 bucks a bag from the malt plant and mix it with unmalted grains if you dont want to use liquid enzymes and want to stretch your malted barley . our favourite is harrington barley malted or un malted seems to convert easy with good yield .
as far as steam rolling goes it is a good way to get ur grains smashed open but stay relatively in tact . for us we dont steam roll we cold roll because we ferment and distill on the grain so keeping the kernels in tact doesnt matter to us .

tim
hudsonbay distillers

Postby Clickeral » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Hey I also just picked up some unmalted grain from the feedstore

20kg of Steam rolled Barley, 20kg of Steam rolled Oats and 20kg of Whole wheat

You will need some malted barley to help convert it

I'm using 2kg of pilsner malt with a 280 Diastatic Power per 10kg of unmalted grain

You need roughly 31 lintner per kg of grain for conversion I have 249 lintner per kg more then I need to convert the pilsner malt meaning I can convert roughly 8kg of unmalted grain per kg of Pilsner if I was pushing it

With the Bm I would probably put 1kg of Malted barley with a high lintner and the rest as unmalted steam rolled Barley

Be careful as it may go quite thick (think porridge out of rolled oats) I would do a step mash, add your steam rolled Barley to cold water and let it heat up to mash temp in the BM then add your base malt and it will start to get thinner as the enzymes go to work :)
Clickeral

Postby vita19 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:41 am

don't waste your time, livestock feed grains just a ..., no taste ,no starch to convert . I dumped 200 l. of wash, will never try again. Only the reason I bought its price. Local " Malteurop" sells for CAD 50/50 lb. bag of brewers malt.
vita19

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 pm

vita19 wrote:don't waste your time, livestock feed grains just a ..., no taste ,no starch to convert . I dumped 200 l. of wash, will never try again. Only the reason I bought its price. Local " Malteurop" sells for CAD 50/50 lb. bag of brewers malt.

I think it depends on the produce store, my local one Capalaba produce is fantastic, good quality and cheap. Barley is 14 bucks for 20 kg bag :handgestures-thumbupright:
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
Copperhead road

Postby Swedish Pride » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:27 am

vita19 wrote:don't waste your time, livestock feed grains just a ..., no taste ,no starch to convert . I dumped 200 l. of wash, will never try again. Only the reason I bought its price. Local " Malteurop" sells for CAD 50/50 lb. bag of brewers malt.

you're the only one I've heard of reporting this as an issue, No idea what they could do to the feed barley to devoid it from starch.

you sure about your mash protocoll? how much malt did you add to the mash?
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Return to All Grain