the modern distiller

Hybrid wash???

the place for UJSM, corn wash's etc

Hybrid wash???

Postby Mr Z » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:48 am

First off I wanted to say Thanks for the great forum. I have been doing a lot of reading and a few runs of neutrals pretty good stuff.
Tried my first run of partial grain now and have some questions. I think everything is ok just checking.

My recipe:50 gals.
start with 5 gal bucket cracked corn add 2 gals 110degree water and enzyme let sit overnight. Next day boil 5 gals of water add corn temp drops to 150 add more enzyme heat to 190 stir with drill hold for 45mins. (corn paste sucks) let cool to 165 more enzyme. In fermenter add 30 gals of 110F water 50 pounds sugar add cooked corn and 5 gal bucket of uncooked corn mixed all add cool water to get 80F patched in EC-1118.

Question are I hear of the cap on the wash I never got one more like a slow boil fizzing nicely at day five. I think everything is good just checking with the pros.

SG:1.062
Day five 1.03 ish. and still fizzing

Thanks Mr Z
Mr Z

Re: Hybrid wash???

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:18 am

Good effort, but seems like a lot of work to produce a sugarhead. You would get good results by following the UJ recipe, found here - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69. It's basically what you did without all the starch conversion (mashing) steps. It's a simple and easy recipe for someone new to distilling and produces a good drop.

On the positive side, you probably learned a bit about mashing. I would suggest looking at some proven recipes for AG (All Grain) mashes and work on some experiments to hone your AG skills. One important thing that will help with conversion, would be to mill the cracked corn into a coarse cornmeal consistency. The enzymes don't work on cracked corn very well.

Good luck with it and stay safe.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Copperhead road » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:46 am

:text-goodpost: after all the reading I have done cackalacky that's the conclusion I have come up with and you have just confirmed my thoughts :obscene-drinkingcheers:

God its good to have you experienced lads to guide us :handgestures-thumbupright:
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
Copperhead road

Postby Mr Z » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks Cackalaky
I kind of knew that going in just wanted to try and get my feet wet with AG biggest problem I have is 15 gal keggle for cooking.
Hoping to be around 1.00 by next weekend and see what I have made.
Should I worry that the mash never got a cap on it?

Mr Z
Mr Z

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:54 pm

im not an expert but its my observation that the cap on ur fermentation is formed from fine grain particles as its carried up with the co2 . if there is little or no fine particles in the wash there is nothing for co2 to float to the top . any non grain wash i have ever made never had a cap during fermentation .
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Return to Partial Grain