the modern distiller

COBWEBS

the place for UJSM, corn wash's etc

COBWEBS

Postby big woods » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:45 am

I have a third generation sour mash going. It developed cobwebs.
Will it hurt anything?
big woods

Re: COBWEBS

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Are you describing how it looks, or does it have actual cobwebs on it? A picture might help.

Lactobacillus (lacto infection) sometimes appears as a spider web pattern on the surface of a ferment. If that's the case, it's OK to run.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Fraser » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:59 am

The first time I saw it on one of my ferments I thought it was ruined. Turned out just fine. no worries.
Fraser

Postby big woods » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:08 am

Its not actually cobwebs i was just using the term. i thought it would be fine just making sure.
Thanks for backing that up.
big woods

Postby Copperhead road » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:56 am

I just had a fermenter that had milky cobwebs on surface, it had been sitting for 4 months.
I ran it and got half the yield I usually would from that size boiler charge, apparently the infection turns the wash to vinager which eats the alcohol away while sitting.
It still turned out fine but yielded half the product that I normally collect :handgestures-thumbupright:
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
Copperhead road

Postby big woods » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:22 am

good info copperhead. the mash is less than 2 wks old.running it tomorrow.
Hopefully it hasn't had enough time for that to happen.
big woods

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:43 pm

Be careful about making assumptions. This is how distilling myths are started.

I've had lacto infections and they never turned the ferment to vinegar and never depleted the amount of alcohol in the wash. Did you check ALL of the factors that may have contributed to a lower yield?
S-Cackalacky

Postby Copperhead road » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:48 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:Be careful about making assumptions. This is how distilling myths are started.

I've had lacto infections and they never turned the ferment to vinegar and never depleted the amount of alcohol in the wash. Did you check ALL of the factors that may have contributed to a lower yield?

I
Well it had finished to 990 and then sat for 4 months, when I ran it I had no leaks...
My assumptions came from my questions I asked in regards to this on the other place we frequent often.
What would you put it down to cackalacky :confusion-shrug:
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
Copperhead road

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:24 am

Not enough data to make a good guess (assumption). You've never mentioned a starting gravity. I've never heard of anyone with a lacto infection producing vinegar. Did you taste it to verify that there was vinegar? Your fermenter sat for 4 months - was it possibly open to the atmosphere so that there could have been evaporation of some of the alcohol? Seems that there are other possibilities that could attribute to the absence of some alcohol. Not saying that you didn't have lacto, and that you didn't have vinegar, and that you didn't lose alcohol. Just sayin' that it might be a far reaching assumption to connect the three.

Assumptions can be an easy trap to fall into without analyzing all the facts. It does you no good in your understanding of the processes and it's a disservice to the new guy coming along who reads it as fact.
S-Cackalacky

Return to Partial Grain