the modern distiller

G'day from Hooky

Say Hi...and let us know a bit about your world.

G'day from Hooky

Postby Hooky » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a brief intro from me. I'm based in Tasmania (I see there are a number of others on the forum too). Have been playing around with my brothers 5L reflux still for a while now, slowly learning bits & pieces. Lots & lots & lots of reading :?. Have just ordered a 30L T500 Boiler & Lid & will soon build a 'Pelican' for this (only have 30L fermenters, which fit nicely in my old fridge which has an Ebay heat/cool controller on it). Keeps it at 30 degrees nicely for TPW. I am a Sparky of ~35 years so have no problems with wiring this sort of gear :grin: .
Will build a controller for the 'Pelican' too. All takes time :angry-banghead:

Thanks for having me.

Cheers,
Hooky
Hooky

Re: G'day from Hooky

Postby JayD » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Welcome to the forum, there's a number of lucky folks living in God's country (Tasmania) that will guide you through your journey, what type of tipple do you like?
JayD

Postby Hooky » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Yes, originally from the 'Wild West', but now in the Central Coast area.

A bit partial to a nice Bourbon or Scotch.

Have graduated from essences :puke-huge: & have been trying just the TPW (fairly harsh cuts) aged on chunks. Much better, but once I get a pot going want to try a Corn Flake Wash & see how that goes for flavours coming through. After that, ...................

Have a pretty good array of tools & welding gear (not in your league with welding JayD :lol:, my dear old Dad was a Boilermaker, I'm strictly an amatuer) so it's just time now.
Hooky

Postby the Doctor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi Hooky welcome aboard.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby Tassie Tiger » Mon May 01, 2017 1:33 pm

Welcome to the forum Hooky.
I'm a sparky too, been a motor winder for the last 37 years though.
Since I've had Fusion surgery on lower back in Feb I've been a bit quiet but have been filling in my days over the last few weeks cooking single malt in my HERMS.
I could quite easily do that for a change of life or early retirement plan.
Keep at it, it gets easier once you get it down put.
Cheers Tassie Tiger
Tassie Tiger

Postby Lowie » Tue May 02, 2017 5:21 pm

:text-welcomewave:
Lowie

Postby Hooky » Sat May 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Tassie Tiger wrote:Welcome to the forum Hooky.
I'm a sparky too, been a motor winder for the last 37 years though.
Since I've had Fusion surgery on lower back in Feb I've been a bit quiet but have been filling in my days over the last few weeks cooking single malt in my HERMS.
I could quite easily do that for a change of life or early retirement plan.
Keep at it, it gets easier once you get it down put.
Cheers Tassie Tiger

Thanks for that TT. Motor Winding is almost a lost art these days. I just had 5 months off work for a Shoulder Injury/Surgery, thank God it was a work injury :grin: (let me catch up on getting a bit of TPW ready & just have a play around). Nearly have my pot ready now, just some soft soldering to go, I silver soldered the flanges with some old ProSilver 45 I have (not in the vapour path so I can get away with using that, 45% Silver :lol: Good luck with your recovery, it all takes time :handgestures-thumbupright:

Cheers,
Hooky
Hooky

Return to Introduce Yourself