the modern distiller

Glad to be apart of the group.

Say Hi...and let us know a bit about your world.

Glad to be apart of the group.

Postby C2H6O » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks for letting me join the forum. I am a beginner for sure. Been reading up for a couple of years and decided to jump right in. I start with a 15.5 gal keg with a 2in copper column, doubler and a 3/4 over 1/2 jacketed condenser. I enjoy AG corn whiskey. So far everything has worked out great. I hope to learn more on aging and oak. That seems to be the biggest issue I have. Thanks again
C2H6O

Re: Glad to be apart of the group.

Postby JayD » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Welcome to the forum :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JayD

Postby Copperhead road » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Welcome aboard buddy, reckon ya carnt go wrong with a good medium charred oak barrel for aging :handgestures-thumbupright:
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
Copperhead road

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:21 am

welcome and while ur experimenting with aging on oak try adding oak inserts into your barrel then pressurise your barrel to as much as it will take hold it there for 24 hrs then depressurise it to create a vacuum for the next 24 hrs ...keep doing this till you think its done , helps if you leave a bit of head space in the barrel .
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Postby Tassie Tiger » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:58 am

Welcome C2H6O,
Plenty of info about accelerated ageing too if you want to try microwaving in small quantities.
Cheers TT
Tassie Tiger

Postby just sayin' » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Welcome! I am glad you have joined us! The newer way to step up aging is with a micro wave, many posts are on the forums. A decade ago the freezer was popular. You put a toasted and charred white oak stick in a jar and put it in the freezer overnight, the cold shrunk the liquid and gas in the jar and pulled a vacuum, you pulled the jar out in the morning and cracked the lid, the air rushed in and once chilled you sealed the lid and put the jar on top of the freezer, as it warmed through the day the contents try to expand creating pressure. That night you release the pressure, open the lid add let the jar breath, reseal and refreeze. Repeating the daily cycle of alternating pressurization and vacuum forces spirits in and out of the oak. I first experimented with this with a cheap corn "moonshine" from Heaven Hill distillary, it amazed me how quickly the white dog started to morph into whiskey. Oaking whiskey is not the same as actually aging whiskey. Start up distillerys use small barrels to mimic aging, the results I have sampled are usually dissappointing compared to whiskey that has spent years or decades in an active cask. It takes time for the complexed chemical reactions that truely tame firey new make into sublime old whiskey, but forced oaking does improve the smell and taste of the new make quite a bit. It is worth your time. Give it a try for a week or two and let us know what you think.
just sayin'

Return to Introduce Yourself