the modern distiller

running a plated colmun for flavor

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

running a plated colmun for flavor

Postby Chicken Feed » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:03 am

Is there a difference in how one runs a plated column when running rum or whisky vs how its run for a neutral? Best I have been able to figure out is use 2 or 3 plates for flavor and more or add a packed column above the plates for a neutral. Any input would be great. I currently run a 3 plate bubble cam 4inch column for rum but plan on running some rice vodka soon and wanted to know if I should add more plates or a packed column.
Chicken Feed

Re: running a plated colmun for flavor

Postby Copperhead road » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi chicken feed,
I am only learning with a pot still but I have ordered a 5 plate 4" modular copper column. From what I have been told you can run 4 plates for brown spirits or 5 plates with a packed section for a nice neutral.
Apparently you can run product twice through 5 plates without a packed section and you will still have a half decent neutral. This is what I will do for vodka until I get a packed section.

Hopefully one of the very experienced lads will chime in but the above is what I have been told. Hope that helps :handgestures-thumbupright:

Happy stillin, Copperhead :obscene-drinkingcheers:
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
Copperhead road

Postby Swedish Pride » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:24 pm

you picked a good grain for vodka, give a very mellow almost floral taste to it, I prefer wheat for voddy but rice is nice too.
I've made voddy on two plates, but I had to run super slow and very tight cuts.

If you want neutral I'd add a packed section too, I just did cuts on a faints run through a packed section, got 2.5l of neutral at 92% and 1 liter off mixing vodka at 90% from a 12 l 72% faints charge, prob would have got more but i was fed up with running and shut down when it was still chuggin gout at 95% and really strict on the cuts.
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby Chicken Feed » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:59 am

Thanks I did not have the ceiling height to add the packed column but was able to get 90% right up to the tails with 3 inch plates. The rice mash did smell great and was very smooth. I used no sugar so the yield
was a little less than I normally get but wow is it smooth
Chicken Feed

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:30 am

Rice also works well in a pot still. I did two runs with a thumper attached and got a good smooth neutral. Makes a good gin base too.
S-Cackalacky

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:41 pm

The best way is to use 4-5 plates and a packed section.
SBB

Postby Fraser » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:07 am

I run 6 bubble plates with a big packed section on top of that, and it works like a charm. I think if your packed section is big enough you could get away with less plates if you take your time. I also really believe that airing out your jars overnight, or even for a full day, greatly helps in making your cuts. I rubber band coffee filters over my jars and let em be for awhile, and it makes it pretty easy to sniff out the best of it.
Fraser

Return to Plated Columns