the modern distiller

plated column still pics.

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

plated column still pics.

Postby emptyglass » Wed May 29, 2013 12:50 am

In an effort to keep the forum moving, I thought I'd share.

Just for your pleasure, I hope.

I know harley won't be posting, so he can't say too much about the size of the holes in these plates.

Although I would be interested to hear what he thinks about how they performed...
Damn shame he's got his head buried in the sand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Re: plated column still pics.

Postby Bushman » Wed May 29, 2013 1:01 am

Did you cut those by hand or use a machine, dang nice work.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby SBB » Wed May 29, 2013 1:10 am

How well did it work with holes that size Empty???
SBB

Postby Bushman » Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 am

I will add a few pictures of what I did a while back. Now retired I still have access to a small CNC machine.

First picture shows cutting the parts using the CNC machine.
image.jpg

Second picture shows the 3 parts cut top and bottom of the dephlagmater and a part I cut to connect to the ferrule on my column with a tri clamp shown on third picture.
Note: that there are 2 more holes in one of the dephlagmater parts. These are my holes for the water in and out as the dephlagmater drops in at the top of the column.
The third part has holes for the two water lines in and an opening for the vapors to continue to the shotgun condenser, also has a groove cut to match that on a 4" ferrule for the gasket to seal.
image.jpg

Third picture shows the parts assembled. Notice there is a gap between the gasket and the condenser, my thought was to hang a gin basket here but haven't done it yet.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

Bushman

Postby emptyglass » Wed May 29, 2013 2:12 am

All things told, they didn't work too bad.
It was essentially a mis-communication between old dog and myself, I reckon I got him on a bad night.
He said 3/16" but meant 3/32".
I've made worse mistakes than that.

Oddly enough, they still worked, and went against the grain. Some plates didn't seem to work properly, but I still pulled good figures running them. Some people told me that they would catergoricly wouldn't and cant work (how you going Harry?)
But they did :confusion-shrug: .
Some guys say that over 2mm and surface tension wont hold fluid on the plates, but they did'nt explain why my still worked while using plates with 3/16" holes.
I'm still waiting for the theroretical boffins to explain this, as I'm too dumb to understand. I cant even understand how to calculate the area of a circle, as far as the boffins are concerned
Maybe they just need more heat, I dunno.

Hey bushy, a gin basket is only good if you drink gin. Nice looking work btw.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby Bushman » Wed May 29, 2013 2:16 am

I was told the same thing on size of holes, interesting! I live by the old saying "1 test is worth a 1000 opinions" :text-coolphotos:

PS: my wife likes gin "Happy wife happy life".

Bushman

Postby drinkingdog » Wed May 29, 2013 4:40 am

emptyglass wrote:
Oddly enough, they still worked, and went against the grain. Some plates didn't seem to work properly, but I still pulled good figures running them. Some people told me that they would catergoricly wouldn't and cant work (how you going Harry?)
But they did :confusion-shrug: .
Some guys say that over 2mm and surface tension wont hold fluid on the plates, but they did'nt explain why my still worked while using plates with 3/16" holes.
I'm still waiting for the theroretical boffins to explain this, as I'm too dumb to understand..

I would say the reason they held fluid was the fact you had enough heat to create vapor speeds fast enough so that the plate didn't collapse.
My Grandpa used to say don't argue with an idiot because, he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience. DD
drinkingdog

Postby SBB » Wed May 29, 2013 11:29 am

Might as well add my build to this thread as well, I had very little experience in building stills when I when I started this build in Sep 2011, and felt way out of my depth at times. Im glad I built it as it gave me the confidence to have a go at building any sort of still now.
Some of you will have seen this build on other forums. It was all done using very basic hand tools.
The plumbing work for water flow to the condensers was done by Stubby Drainer, I didn't think I could do that job as neatly as he could. Hes much better at bending pipe than me.
I'm more than happy with the way it turned out and the spirits it produces.
The whole Build thread can be found here if anyone is interested http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=653

SBB

Postby Dfitz » Wed May 29, 2013 12:42 pm

emptyglass wrote: I'm too dumb to understand. I cant even understand how to calculate the area of a circle

I asked Siri. She's a pretty smart ole gal. :lol:
Dfitz

Postby FullySilenced » Wed May 29, 2013 3:17 pm

FullySilenced

Postby FullySilenced » Wed May 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Did you mentioN HOLES.... i'm a tellin... :grin:
FullySilenced

Postby jonnir » Wed May 29, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm thinking of giving a go to build a still like yours SBB. How is it sliding the plate tree in and out?

Cheers lads!
jonnir

Postby Googe » Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 pm

I didn't realize that was your still SBB!, seen a pic of that somewhere ages ago and thought hmm I really like the look of that I want to build one!. Didn't though lol, oh well I'm stuck with my little bubbler for now, maybe down the track I might do one just like yours.
Googe

Postby Linny » Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 pm

If i was to build another one i would change a few things , but at my first "real" attempt at building I have been extremely happy with the results... i present the hooker! , doesnt look pretty but works damn hard ! :handgestures-thumbupright:
Linny

Postby Googe » Wed May 29, 2013 10:40 pm

I tried to add these with my last post but didn't work :-|
Googe

Postby SBB » Wed May 29, 2013 10:52 pm

jonnir wrote:I'm thinking of giving a go to build a still like yours SBB. How is it sliding the plate tree in and out?

Jonnir, Ive never wanted or had to pull the plate tree out, it makes what I consider a very nice drop as is, One thing I see on forums is people saying that perforated plates leak down the sides, in my opinion that is from sloppy plate building. Make your plates as tight as you can, they should squeal like chalk on a black board going in dry and be pretty hard to push in. A few thousandths of a inch makes a difference I think. A bit of lube when getting them in stops the noise and makes it easier.

googe wrote:I didn't realize that was your still SBB

Google its on page one or two in "plated columns" over at Aussie, or see the link I posted here.

Linny wrote: doesnt look pretty but works damn hard

Function beats beauty hands down Linny...in my books anyway.
SBB

Postby Bushman » Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 pm

This has turned into a great thread. I am going to put myself out on a limb but if I don't have too many requests I am willing to do some printable drawings or at least drawings with dimensions added for easy layout for those that are stuck. I have a 3d software that allows me to draw solids and calculate area and column, then it allows me to do a roll out for pattern work. What It doesn't do is calculate thickness of bend needed for material or add tabs for soldering later which is an easy add on.

Works great for building copper boilers, calculating the top conical design or figuring out the shape of holes as they enter other pipes at an angle. Also a great software for 2d work doing layout for plates and so on. On HD most of you are aware of Mash Rookies designs for stills as he is a professional artist when it comes to metals and glass work. He helped me build my newest still and in return I have done some layout work for him along with CNC jobs.

PS: Nice link FS, brings back memories of teaching drafting before computers.

Bushman

Postby SBB » Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 pm

Bushman wrote:or figuring out the shape of holes as they enter other pipes at an angle.

This does the same thing, simply enter sizes and angles , print out and wrap around pipe, job done.
http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php
SBB

Postby Bushman » Thu May 30, 2013 12:35 am

SBB wrote:
Bushman wrote:or figuring out the shape of holes as they enter other pipes at an angle.

This does the same thing, simply enter sizes and angles , print out and wrap around pipe, job done.
http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php

Yes it does for pipes and its great for that but does it make the conical opening in a boiler when rolled with the exact size openings? Or say you know you want a 30 gallon boiler what I am offering is the ability to draw 3 d to calculate dimension size and volume then do a roll-out as a cut pattern.

PS: I am not doing this as a business offer just wanting to help if a few members are stuck I am offering my expertise with 33 years teaching experience in the field for free.

Bushman

Postby emptyglass » Thu May 30, 2013 1:43 am

Jeez bushy, I was after somone with 36 years experience ;-)

Mash rookie has made some of the most amazing designs. You are fortunate to know him.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby FullySilenced » Thu May 30, 2013 9:12 am

EG, Bushman, i added a couple of more layout links in my last post... so its all complete now... :handgestures-thumbupright:
FullySilenced

Postby SBB » Thu May 30, 2013 9:57 am

Bushman wrote:Yes it does for pipes and its great for that but does it make the conical opening in a boiler when rolled with the exact size openings? Or say you know you want a 30 gallon boiler what I am offering is the ability to draw 3 d to calculate dimension size and volume then do a roll-out as a cut pattern.

I wasnt suggesting it would do any of the other things you mention Bushman, it is however a useful easy to use tool for those wishing to join pipe of different sizes at different angles. Just an alternative for those who wish to use it.
SBB

Postby Bushman » Thu May 30, 2013 11:09 am

SBB wrote:
Bushman wrote:Yes it does for pipes and its great for that but does it make the conical opening in a boiler when rolled with the exact size openings? Or say you know you want a 30 gallon boiler what I am offering is the ability to draw 3 d to calculate dimension size and volume then do a roll-out as a cut pattern.

I wasnt suggesting it would do any of the other things you mention Bushman, it is however a useful easy to use tool for those wishing to join pipe of different sizes at different angles. Just an alternative for those who wish to use it.

Agree totally, sorry if I came across abit strong, when I do layouts it's just easy for me with my software to add it all in. I've viewed that software and agree it works great. I also know that not everyone has access to the software I have. I was named Teacher of the Year in my State because of the work I did training teachers on the 3D software. Because of that, the software company gave me my own software free to have at home. It would cost over $1000 dollars. I enjoy doing what I did so that is why I made my offer to this forum.

For most your link is probably the best option :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Bushman

Postby SBB » Thu May 30, 2013 11:58 am

A very generous offer it is to Bushman, If I ever need a boiler plan made up I will contact you. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
SBB

Postby emptyglass » Thu May 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Found these pics today.

I agree with you SBB, the plates have to be a tight fit. A bit of olive oil or other food based oil helps with assembly and stops that toe curling screech they make.

I made one a perf plate with the plates too lose once. It still worked well, but needed a lot more power. Oh well, live and learn.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Thu May 30, 2013 9:57 pm

I was only kidding mate. I can layout a square to round transition or the frustrum of a cone, but anything more complex I'd use some software. Its just too easy to type some stuff into a computer and have a template printed off, even though it can be done the old fasioned way with effort.
I did find it odd that they quoted Pi as a decimal. Its much easeir to use 22/7, particularly if the calculator in the workshop dosn't have Pi as a button.
Good links none the less.

This would be what I'd have if I was rich.
still onion.jpg
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby FullySilenced » Fri May 31, 2013 12:36 am

I never doubted your skill set... i just thought you might need the references.... :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:
FullySilenced

Postby SBB » Fri May 31, 2013 12:59 am

emptyglass wrote:that toe curling screech they make.

Christ Empty , please refrain from being so descriptive , my toes are curling just from the memory of getting those plates in and out when i was trying them for size.
SBB

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:02 am

EG Thanks for these awesome pictures ... I love seeing the insides of your beautiful pieces of work ... I love these pictures!! You are a true still artist :handgestures-thumbupright:
Tim

Postby skow69 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:26 am

Holy bubble caps Batman, just how many plates does a guy need? How do you read the alcometer in that parrot? With a periscope?

But seriously, if you were starting over, and knew then what you know now, what size would you make the holes?

Beautiful work, eg, and excellent design with the modular trip. 3, 5, or 8. Perfect.
Distilling at 120f and 100 torr
Rectificato ergo sum.
skow69

Postby skow69 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:30 am

How do you get to that coolant valve? Extention ladder or jetpack?
Rectificato ergo sum.
skow69

Postby Googe » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:52 am

Empty is an ex basket ball player, 7'9 :lol:
Googe

Postby skow69 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Har!
Rectificato ergo sum.
skow69

Postby emptyglass » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:38 pm

skow69 wrote:Holy bubble caps Batman, just how many plates does a guy need? How do you read the alcometer in that parrot? With a periscope?

But seriously, if you were starting over, and knew then what you know now, what size would you make the holes?

Beautiful work, eg, and excellent design with the modular trip. 3, 5, or 8. Perfect.

I used 2mm holes. about 200 each plate from memory for that still.
I used a stepladder, and I wont make the mistake of that again. Add ladders and drinking and the situation becomes uneasy.
But a jet pack would have been handy.

C'mon guys, there is heaps of you out there with plated columns, post away!
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby cacticlayton » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:09 am

rps20130609_110810.jpg
I wanna play
cacticlayton

Postby cacticlayton » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:15 am

rps20130609_111355_852.jpg
rps20130609_111238.jpg
rps20130609_111017_537.jpg
cacticlayton

Postby cacticlayton » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 am

rps20130609_195541_606.jpg
cacticlayton

Postby cacticlayton » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 pm

rps20130609_200114_368.jpg
Not really sure what this is going to be yet.
cacticlayton

Postby emptyglass » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Good job cacticlayton, looks the goods.

Can't wait to see what you do with the still in the bottom pic :handgestures-thumbupright:

I enjoy seeing all these hand made copper flutes. The craft is still alive
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 am

googe wrote:Empty is an ex basket ball player, 7'9 :lol:

Oh yeah mate, I'm only 4' 8", the rest is my high heels.
Gotta love platform shoes.

I always wondered why the other guys on the team teased me, with their flat soled shoes and all....
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby cacticlayton » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:47 pm

rps20130617_214439_488.jpg
rps20130617_214317_211.jpg
rps20130617_214212_897.jpg
New build, I dont know if I like the deflag with clamps on both sides but we will see when its finished. Also I trying smaller tubes in the deflag, any thoughts on this?
cacticlayton

Postby Kapea » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:13 pm

I think you got yorsef a mighty fine still there CC!
Up is away from Earth.
Down is towards Earth. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:
Kapea

Postby Googe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Nice work mate, you seem to have been bitten buy the building bug having only just finished another bubbler? :lol: . Is there much difference between this one and your other, plates and size ect?. are they 1/2' inner tubes?, I think someone did 20 like yours not long back, can't remember which site though :confusion-shrug: . My next deflag will be smaller, I want less volume, sick of waiting 10 minutes for a change when I start closing the valve off.
Googe

Postby the Doctor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Jeez CC that is beautiful...just beautiful...congratulations.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby Aussiedownunder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Heres the start of my new build
If its free pick it up
Aussiedownunder

Postby Aussiedownunder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Been shopping
If its free pick it up
Aussiedownunder

Postby cacticlayton » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:05 pm

There are a few differances in this one googe, I to im looking for better reaction time with my deflag. So Ive made it 4" tall and instead of 3/4" inner tubes im using 3/8". Also Im going to experiment with the cooling manifold. Plates have 1/8 holes instead of 3/32 and will have a deeper flood level. You guys are right about that damn "bug" though, my wife thinks im nuts.
cacticlayton

Postby Googe » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Good.stuff Aussie :handgestures-thumbupright: , is that a inline.Thumper with 4 plates and maybe a packed section in the gap between the rc and the bend?. Did you do the work yourself?. Nice looking sight glass furelles and condenser!!.

Deflag sounds good cacticlayton, be interesting to see how it performes :handgestures-thumbupright: . I need to stuff around with my manifold to, not enough hours in the day!.
Googe

Postby Aussiedownunder » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 pm

googe wrote:Good.stuff Aussie :handgestures-thumbupright: , is that a inline.Thumper with 4 plates and maybe a packed section in the gap between the rc and the bend?. Did you do the work yourself?. Nice looking sight glass furelles and condenser!!.

Deflag sounds good cacticlayton, be interesting to see how it performes :handgestures-thumbupright: . I need to stuff around with my manifold to, not enough hours in the day!.

Hi Googe 5 plates 4 fixed 1 removable packed section above the plates , condenser my work 2 in furelles made by emptyglass
If its free pick it up
Aussiedownunder

Postby Googe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Sounds like a good combo Aussie , should be able to make anything on that :handgestures-thumbupright: . Nice job on the condenser, I thought them furelles looked familiar lol. You gunna do a build thread?. Good luck mate.
Googe

Next

Return to Plated Columns