the modern distiller

Yummys Bubbler build

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

Yummys Bubbler build

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Its Official .I've done a stock take and I have just about everything now.
After almost a year of toing and throwing between designs I have finally decided to go modular.
4" with easy flanges .Bubble caps rather than perf plates due to available boiler power at present.
2.5" PC cause I like the look of them :handgestures-thumbupright: .
Sight glasses will be 2" cap and liners .Because I have them and although 3" windows are cool, I won't be spending all night looking at them .Also Brass is cool.Kinda over all the SS .

So I have started this build a few weeks ago.I had this Idea of an adjustable Reflux Condenser after seeing Tickles dual outlet one and a crazy idea Googe had where he had a pic of a pipe coming out of the RC and said adjust the angle to set the level in the RC.

So heres my take on it.I think this thing should be able to have full adjustment of RC water level .Note that the water must be allowed to run freely from it,If there is a valve in the outlet ,then it will not work The Valve is on the inlet .

I have had several Ideas on how to adjust it .The first was with a Rack and pinion ,I couldn't get it to work mainly due to the odd bits I was using.
This is My second Option which uses an adjustable screw to raise the level .There are many other ways to do this but I have done it this way just to save wasted time with what I had built already
CCF17062013_00000.jpg

This is it so far

Heres a close up of the Adjuster

Adjustable RC 013.jpg

It looks like this inside

Adjustable RC 015.jpg

Still got to make cork gaskets for the top plate and side cover plate.And screw on.The whole thing will be sweated onto the side if the RC.I have Brazed most of it so it won't all fall apart .

Now I have almost finished this ,I need to build a bubbler to stick it on :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

Re: Yummys Bubbler build

Postby Googe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:52 am

Wow!, that was totally unexpected :shock: lol. That's a work.of art mate, you've sure been thinking about it :handgestures-thumbupright: . How did you build the frame part of the reservoir thingy?. Have you got build pics of it?. That's some really good thinking!. What's the square looking hole in the back of the condenser?. good stuff mate, I hope it works for you.

Cheers
Googe

Postby emptyglass » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:18 am

Yeah, another WOW here.
Looks like a steam chest on a steam train.
Very cool looking, but whats it doing that a valve cant?
I tip my hat to you sir, fine work!
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby crow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:23 am

Outstanding workmanship dude 8-)
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Postby fifan74 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:01 pm

good stuff,looks like you have some time into designing that. Keep the pics coming.
fifan74

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Cheers guys ,thanks for the comments.

Now while handing out the awards for inspiration.I mentioned Tickle and Googe but forgot include bt1 ,it was his Tuna Can RC that also got me thinking on this and Sungry over on HD who made that crazy pillared dual outlet RC.

Also Thanks to Emptyglass because if it had not been for your suggestion to "mask up" with liquid paper ,I'd still be grinding braze off now .Mate ,that is fucking amazing at stopping the runs . :handgestures-thumbupright: How can it be sitting on red hot copper when everything else has vapourized ,yet when its cooled down ,it just dusts off ...weird

EG I have no idea if this will be any better than adjusting a valve ,I have yet to find out.It all may be a waste of time ,and if that's so,I'm happy to take one for the team.

I just seemed to keep reading from Bubbler users that they had trouble controlling reflux with water flow.It was a fine line between cut-off and full flow.
Those with smaller volume RC seemed to have less of an issue but some said that the smaller ones were pushing it to hold full reflux.
So I got this bee in my bonnet that if I could adjust the level from almost empty to almost full then in combination with water flow, it should make controlling reflux point easier. It probably will happen that I find a suitable height and leave it there.Its all fun and I like building stuff so

Oh yeah Googe and fifan ,got more pics
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:00 am

googe wrote:. How did you build the frame part of the reservoir thingy?
everything that isn't round was made from 3/4" tube that I ripped out of the house during the kitchen reno.
I cut approprate lengths ,split with a hacksaw ,annealed,flattened and made shit out of it .
Annealed copper is nice to work with ,Its soft and does what its told,by the time you've finished with it,its hard again.( well usually)
Just when you braze it,it goes all mushy again ;-)
googe wrote: Have you got build pics of it?
Some .
googe wrote: What's the square looking hole in the back of the condenser?

Well I put a rack and pinion drive in my first attempt.which failed so I had this fucken hole in it .
Adjustable RC 002.jpg

Adjustable RC 012.jpg

So I thought I'd use it to access the pipe to fit O.rings on my Mark 11 model

Adjustable RC 014.jpg

It has a cover plate with a guide that meshes with the adjustable 3/4" tube .
Idea is to that the adjustable tube won't rotate when the screw is adjusted .It should then just move up/down.
In reality I have just discovered that the friction on the O'rings is plenty enough to hold the 3/4" and stop it rotating :angry-banghead:

Adjustable RC 016.jpg

And those little 1/4" tubes hanging out the side will have a sight-glass tube on it so I can check the level inside .
The reason there is such a large gap between the RC and the adjuster is so I have plenty of room to fit a Tri-clamp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

Postby Googe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:07 pm

You've certainly put alot of thought and work into it mate!!, you've got pretty good skills by the look of it :handgestures-thumbupright: . Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build and the rc working.. Good luck.
Googe

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:32 am

Got the sight glass made and fitted Just got to get a nice knob and cut the shaft down to right length.

The Sight glass tube came from Reeces.It was for a 10 Liter Urn and came with O rings.
When it arrived ,I found out it was made from plastic so I just cut it to the length I wanted and filed the grooves for the O rings where I needed them .It attaches with 1/4 in compression fittings which were cut and filled to fit a piece of 1/2" copper that go over the sight glass tube ends.
Adjustable RC 020.jpg
Yummyrum

Postby emptyglass » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Looks cool yummy, very steam punk!
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks EG .

Wasn't going steam punk ,infact I had no Idea what steam punk was until a few weeks ago ,Just kinda ended up that way :laughing-rolling:
Yummyrum

Postby Googe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:29 pm

Awesome mate, its gunna be a nice build when your done :handgestures-thumbupright:
Googe

Postby emptyglass » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Aww, crap. I should have seen this earlier.
Your going to have some truble yummy, you need more flow through the product condenser when you have less flow through the reflux condenser.
And vice versa.
Soin full reflux, you will be fine, but as you reduce the flow tothe reflux condenser to start colleting product, your product condenser will possibly be overwhelmed.

I'd love to be wrong, as you have put a lot of work into this, and it looks way cool. You're so close now, it would be a shame to not find out.
I hope I'm wrong.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Been awhile so thought I should update .

4 modules so far.jpg

There will be 6 modules eventually
Instead of putting the down comer on the plate , I have put it in the module The plates have the weir on it ...just have to add the holes ,or bubble cap, still deciding

Modular OD MK2 downcomer.jpg

Weirs on plates.jpg

Bottom 4-2" reducer with bottom J trap

Finished Bottom module.jpg

will look something like this so far

Fantisy Time.jpg
Yummyrum

Postby Woodsy71 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:21 pm

Looks the business Yummy

Good to see you over here :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Woodsy71

Postby Zombie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:46 am

First rate. No doubt about it sir!

I love the engineering work you have done. There is a lot to be said for individual "styling" in a still.

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Thanks Woodsy , don't I know you from the Darkside

Thanks Zombie, Just wanted to do it a little different ...probably wont be any better or faster or anything really ...but its mine :obscene-buttsway:
Yummyrum

Postby Woodsy71 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Not sure about that Yummy...... :confusion-confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmf9UdPiyYA
Woodsy71

Return to Plated Columns