the modern distiller

side by side test of different bubble caps

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

side by side test of different bubble caps

Postby the Doctor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:10 pm

I did a test today of the new 5 star bubble caps versus my old bubble caps, I placed the two different cap plates into my 4 inch still for a whiskey run with a total of 3 plates. And I must say that the difference was imediately evident. The new 5Star plates held more product in an active bubble state. It balanced beautifuly and was just so much better. I will do a side by side video to show just how much better. I am going to replace all my plates now. Not only do they perform better they are all stainless and copper...NO BRASS. which is an essential for me. Very happy.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Re: side by side test of different bubble caps

Postby SBB » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:26 pm

I have a feeling those plates might work best cause the bloke who designed them learned how plates work the hard way........trial and error and making them himself by hand in the learning phase, then running those plates in a still to see what the results were. When he was happy with the results he had them manufactured.
A lot of people seem to be trying to make stills with very little hands on experience of how plates work.
As for me , I live in the dark ages and have a perforated plate bubbler that I can only say preforms as well as I could want.
Were did I get the details /measurements/plate hole sizes?
The same place you got your plates Doc.
SBB

Postby hard times » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 pm

I'd like to know more about this product,
do you have a site address or more info?
Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Postby SBB » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:52 pm

I think "5 star distilling" should get you there HT. ;-)
SBB

Postby the Doctor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:02 am

SBB I just could not believe how much difference a plate could make... I just ordered another 5 plates, could not be happier.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby hard times » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:50 am

SBB wrote:I think "5 star distilling" should get you there HT. ;-)

It did, and I Thank you!

I'm in the US and some aussie things don't readily
show up in a google search.
Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Doc you are comparing the old style SD bubble cap the new ones are all copper with a ss bolt....

No lead free brass has been used for almost a year... when i got my bubble caps a year ago they were all copper even then...

here is a link and photo...http://www.stilldragon.com/caps-plates-and-downcomers.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FullySilenced

Postby the Doctor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Fully within 3 months of buying my SD still they admitted that the risers were drilled to the wrong size holes...Instead of a product recall and fixing the problem. They simply suggested that I have to drill out all the risers. Which is unacceptable behaviour... I bought it new and paid full price...warranty? what warranty. So these are the caps I have to compare with...they were sold to me as the right caps for the still...I bought them in good faith. They did not back up the product, and replace the caps as they should have. Are they now saying that they sold a faulty still to everyone in the first year. They dd not fully develop their ideas before releasing the product. They sold a faulty product. Then did not back the product...so as they are the caps I bought new from SD and they have not been replaced I will have to use them for comparison. And I thinks it serves as a warning to others that if you deal with these guys you may not recieve any back up...I sure didn't.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:47 pm

The latest versions of the bubble caps even have milled slots in them instead of holes... so i guess its still a developing growth area as the use, and technology changes ... for more speed or purity...

I don't own any of the slotted ones... just saw a picture...

I was around for the hole size change, it supposedly increased the output of the columns and reduced vapor speed a bit by equalizing the area of the small holes to that of the bore of the risers or downcomers...

I thought you drilled your risers and downcomers out to the new size long ago? For the additional production rates...

Does not matter what you produce there will always be production changes, engineering modification or changes due to customers needs... always the search for the better mouse trap... it's called progress...product development... or simply a model change, if that was not the case we would still be driving model T automobiles...

Doc I am not saying anything was defective or not defective... I know you've made some great whiskey and vodka using your 4" column, I have been reading about your success for over a year now...

I look forward to your video of the bubble caps....

FS
FullySilenced

Postby the Doctor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:20 pm

This was not a new model release, it was a fault that was discovered and bought to light by an independent distiller...this was a defective ill thought out piece of engineering. That in any other industry woulod have been a product recall...arrogantly refused. By a company who values profit over customers...defective...definately. It cost in excess of $200 to get a 3 month old still repaired to run properly, at my cost...that to me is unacceptable corporate behaviour.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby emptyglass » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:57 am

Good news doc :handgestures-thumbupright: .
Glad its floated your boat. Just goes to show attention to detail pays off.
I wish you all the best with the new plates/caps.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Return to Plated Columns