the modern distiller

New still

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

New still

Postby Spud1700 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Well my brother in law has a Still Dragon column with bubble caps and it is nice, I ran it a few times to give him a few lessons etc (I just wanted to play with it to be honest)

Anyway I can get plated columns direct from the factory that supplies them to the US (may look familiar) and thought I might as well get one myself. Also got a new 100 ltr boiler that sells in the US at a couple of places.

I have to say I am amazed how cheap these things are even when you add the tax, import duty, customs clearances etc.

You could sell these for $1000.00 and still be making money,if the dollar was still at parity you could do them for $900 I think. Boilers are awesome, very impressed and cheap as well....

East Coast shipping would be cheap as well....... Why isn't someone selling these for $1000.00? :confusion-shrug: why are they so expensive? It would be worth someone getting a ABN and selling these things, I think they would fly off the shelf for $1000.00.

Anyway I'll give her a run soon, more photos to follow, excuse these photos they are taken with the IPad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spud1700

Re: New still

Postby What » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Wow spud!
Is the column 4" and did it come with plates included?
Reality: The illusion that occurs when you run out of alcohol
What

Postby Spud1700 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Yeah 4 inch, I got the plates cut and put in the downcomers, 6 inch is as cheap as chips as well but I do not need 6 inch or 8 inch. 4 inch is way big enough for me.
Spud1700

Postby the Doctor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:35 pm

As the Stilldragon company have proved themselves less than honourable or true to their word in business ...be warned this forum does not endorse their product. And warn that you deal with them at your own risk.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby the Doctor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Also as a former confidant of SD they make well in excess of 100% profit on these.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Spud1700 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Apologies Doc, just giving an unbiased review from what I have seen of their product. I shall not mention their name again. As for pricing yeah I think ALL companies selling this stuff have very high markups, some of the prices I have seen on some stuff is crazy expensive.

Anyway really looking forward to running this thing :)
Spud1700

Postby the Doctor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:49 pm

I wish you well with it Spud. I run a business based on a 30% mark up ...I find the 100% profit excessive, considering that they spend nothing on product development. I have full set of bubble caps I have paid $200 to have drilled out within 3 months of buying them then totally replace now because the 5 Star bubble caps are significantly better. So once burnt.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Dominator » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Very shiny spud. Looking forward to the results.
Dominator

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Start adding import duty, GST & freight and you'll soon see how little mark up there is.

I also would never purchase from YAYI as they are rough as guts, and sell inferior quality, not to mention the delivery time is unreliable :obscene-buttsway:

When you source gear from reputable "non sweatshop" type companies you will know the difference immediately.
MacStill

Postby Maheel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:20 pm

you got a better camera spud ? lol
gonna have to come out for a drive aint I to have a look .....
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby Maheel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:34 pm

MacStill wrote:I also would never purchase from YAYI as they are rough as guts, and sell inferior quality, not to mention the delivery time is unreliable :obscene-buttsway:
When you source gear from reputable "non sweatshop" type companies you will know the difference immediately.

i dont know Yayi looks a pretty honest fellow to me but he is next door to Nigeria

VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby Spud1700 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 pm

MacStill wrote:Start adding import duty, GST & freight and you'll soon see how little mark up there is.

I also would never purchase from YAYI as they are rough as guts, and sell inferior quality, not to mention the delivery time is unreliable :obscene-buttsway:

That is including GST, import duty, Freight.......

Obviously no-one would get anything as good as your stuff and that is why your stuff is ridiculously expensive :handgestures-thumbupright: people have to pay for "quality" as you say and "pay" they do.

Yeah has to be a sweatshop, all your stuff is made in Australia hey?
Spud1700

Postby Spud1700 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Looks pretty crap to me, bloody Asian sweatshops........ and at well, well under half the cost of what you would pay for quality stuff from a "quality" Asian sweatshop, oh I mean quality Asian factory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spud1700

Postby emptyglass » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:13 am

Maheel wrote:i dont know Yayi looks a pretty honest fellow to me but he is next door to Nigeria

With a face like that, couldn't be anything but honest.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby the Doctor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:53 am

Spud1700 wrote:Looks pretty crap to me, bloody Asian sweatshops........ and at well, well under half the cost of what you would pay for quality stuff from a "quality" Asian sweatshop, oh I mean quality Asian factory.

Geez spud ...is that flour putty in that weld...a sanitary weld is judged by the internal surface. Not the external surface. It is the quality of the weld in contact with the product I worry about. As a commercial member you have a vested interest and a priveledged position. I think it up to those who use the gear day in day out to assess the quality. Keep this topic temeperate or I will lock it. Also I consider it somewhat disingenuous to disparage "chinese sweatshops" when you probably are typing that comment on a computer made in China, sitting on a chair made in China. In a household of goods made in China...The Chinese nation is in a place of economic cycle as it emerges from an agricultural base to an industrial base, just as Japan and South Korea have done before it. The result of that forging of a new economy, is the building of the industrial base to sustain it.
The reward to us is that the hunger for growth fuels incredible competition. Resulting in cheaper prices.This is very basic economics. The result of which is the children of those who you are refering to who inhabvits the sweatshops of today, will attend university and drive the Mercedes of tomorrow. If that ain't better than staring at the arse end of an ox all day as you plow your 1/2 acre plot of rice...what is. Personally I would trust the integrity of the weld shown over flour putty any day...just call me old fashioned, but I like to see an engineering answer to an engineering problem...not something out of Julia Childs "world of cooking".
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Kapea » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:08 am

Cheap prices on products from China also have a lot to do with currency manipulation by the Chinese government; keeping the exchange rate artificially low.

Not politics - economics.
Up is away from Earth.
Down is towards Earth. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:
Kapea

Postby Spud1700 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:09 am

My referring to "sweatshops" was sarcasm in response to Mcstills comments about this item and sweatshops. I have no issue with China, you can get product out of China that is as very good quality.

Flour paste? You lost me Doc, if you can see a white compound that would be what is called "polishing rouge" they use it on a polishing wheel and they use it to polish the stainless steel and make it shine. We use the same stuff here in Australia.
Spud1700

Postby the Doctor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:17 am

I was talking about the stuff you see on this still.
Doc

What I want to make clear to yourself, empty and mac is that this forum is not for disparaging other competitors. If such comments come from independant users fair enough. But not commercial members. As manufacturers you are judged by what you produce and not disparaging rhetoric.

d5e87b9bf7c0a8f86d0444ad002b2c12.jpg
the Doctor

Postby Dominator » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:21 am

Spud1700 wrote:
MacStill wrote:Start adding import duty, GST & freight and you'll soon see how little mark up there is.

That is including GST, import duty, Freight.......

Obviously no-one would get anything as good as your stuff and that is why your stuff is ridiculously expensive :handgestures-thumbupright: people have to pay for "quality" as you say and "pay" they do.

Yeah has to be a sweatshop, all your stuff is made in Australia hey?

Spud I don't want to take sides but here is something to consider for those who are thinking of selling these.
The thing with cheaper suppliers is they do not have the quality control of the more reliable companies. While the still you purchased may be great, 1 in 20 may not be up to scratch, all it takes is for one weld to leak on a condenser. As a retailer that 1 in 20 will cost you, not only in warranty replacements but also in reputation. Is your supplier going to replace faulty parts? Who is going to wear the cost of freight backwards and forwards for said parts? I can tell you now, it wont be the consumer.

If you want to sell these you need to build up stock, that cost money, then you need somewhere to store it, that will cost money. You should then consider insurance for the thousands of dollars of stock you have, are you seeing a pattern here?

Now spend hours on your phone and computer every day, dealing with suppliers where there is a language barrier, transport company's who seem to take some kind of pleasure in losing/damaging/delaying your deliveries and customers who not only ask the same questions every day but also seem to be having a competition for who can ask the stupidest question.

All this is if you just want to supply what is already out there, if you want to develop a new product or advance the ideas that are already out there you need to spend time playing around with ideas, coming up with new ideas, building prototypes then sending designs to your manufacturer, paying for moulds and casts to be made, all this costs time and money.

Then tell me you don't want to put a mark up on your product and make some money for your effort. Then once you have come up with your final price, add on another 10% for GST.
Dominator

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:44 am

Ever wondered what the mark up on a airstill or T500 is?
kiwikeg

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:35 am

Sorry to clarify above post a airstill can be bought for under $? them repack it with some turbo yeast and voila $??? automatic alcohol maker...
Now that's a crime.
I myself have suffered for trying to be a smartarse and save a few bucks. I won't try that again. At least I know where I can find the Aussie based importer if something goes wrong.
With hindsight it was so stupid to try to save a few bucks.
Macs triclamp prices are 75% cheaper than the cheapest available of the shelf in NZ even with my trade discount.
How much cheaper were the one I tried to source from China? Enough to sucker my to part with my cash.
But now I am getting the big finger I regret ever sending money to China.
I guess I had become used to FSD's outstanding customer service and rapid shipping and thought very wrongly that other companies would be the same.
I don't even know where to start looking for my missing money.
kiwikeg

Postby 8-ball » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:26 am

I was paying $5 for 2 ferrules clamp and silicone gasket in 2in to the door
4in $12
6in $18
But there was 6 months of communication with the company before I parted with money
8-ball

Postby Dominator » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:48 pm

8-ball wrote:I was paying $5 for 2 ferrules clamp and silicone gasket in 2in to the door
4in $12
6in $18
But there was 6 months of communication with the company before I parted with money

Like you said, 6 months of communication to get it to that point and even then you were taking a gamble sending them your money, and then how long does it take to get delivered? Weeks? One email to Mac, you get one back with a quote and payment details, send your money and the gear (if its small) is sent in an express bag. That's 3 of 4 days max from initial contact to receiving your product, provided he has the stuff in stock, and it will be even quicker and easier when he has the website completed. If you pay by paypal you have buyer protection, not that you need it. If you have any worries with your order it is fixed quickly and easily! The after sales support and peace of mind is worth the extra few dollars if you ask me.
Dominator

Postby the Doctor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Dominator wrote:
8-ball wrote:I was paying $5 for 2 ferrules clamp and silicone gasket in 2in to the door
4in $12
6in $18

Like you said, 6 months of communication to get it to that point and even then you were taking a gamble sending them your money, and then how long does it take to get delivered? Weeks? One email to Mac, you get one back with a quote and payment details, send your money and the gear (if its small) is sent in an express bag. That's 3 of 4 days max from initial contact to receiving your product, provided he has the stuff in stock, and it will be even quicker and easier when he has the website completed. If you pay by paypal you have buyer protection, not that you need it. If you have any worries with your order it is fixed quickly and easily! The after sales support and peace of mind is worth the extra few dollars if you ask me.

That is my experience too. easy to order, quick to deliver, great quality. I have recieved much better service since swinging my purchases over to mac. Very professional supplier.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby 8-ball » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Dominator wrote:
4in $12
6in $18

had them within 4 days of payment dhl express payed Monday received Friday the six months of communication was my end it was to make sure that i was going to get my gear
second time round they sent the goods before i payed i had them the next day
8-ball

Postby crow » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:51 pm

Look its he same story no matter what your endeavour is. As a builder I've seen time and again customers bulk at our 10% mark up on materials and then get us to work on set rates and get there own shit to save a few bucks. In 30 odd yrs of building I've never seen a happy ending from this yet, coz when it costs them 40 % more they bitch and moan and some of the more honest ones will realize the value of your trade relationships and the behind the scenes time and phone calls that go into it. It seems some old prejudices come out in theses sorts of threads, fine no one can ell ppl how to think and feel but they should not allow that to distort the facts :handgestures-thumbupright:
If you think ou can save some money and are willing to do the foot work and take the risk good luck it might work out just swell cause it might not to, thats the nature of "Risk"
Hmm the Betty Crocket solution, Had this argument a few times over yonder and yes it works and for slip fittings I can see its worth (one reason I wouldn't use slip fittings) but I think there are some serious inherent risks sealing a highly flammable vapour path with pastry bakes not to mention the very often reported flavour contamination, reported even by proponents of this krusty method. granddad might have used flour paste but sure as hell I wouldn't (maybe I'm just a scaredy cat)
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Postby Spud1700 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:44 pm

The photo in question was not a slip joint, the ferrule is TIG welded on, still was being run over a wood fire. Gasket was not in properly and was pinched between the keg and the ferrule. You can't turn a wood fire off when the run is up to temperature. Easy way to fix it without trying to remove the column and move the gasket???????

Put flour paste on it and problem solved :handgestures-thumbupright:

Happy for anyone to critique me on welding dissimilar metals...... No penetration on the weld on the inside either so it is a food grade weld, anyone who has any pointers I am happy to listen :smile:
Spud1700

Postby Googe » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:45 pm

all of this is about wanting a shinny stainless steel still, never seen any workmanship issues with local copper built stills :think: . I build my stuff from local suppliers, buy my tri clamps 2 mins from my front door for $10 for 4", all my fittings are local, solder, flux ect. Best way to bend Australia over and ram it hard is buying direct from over seas. Ever since theses shinny stills from over seas have entered forums it's been a.shit fight, doc, with SD, and now sd has gone someone else has seen an opening for cheap/free advertising/ photo shoots/videos/ websites. Makes me.feel sick seeing people get used and abused. I'm totally sick of all this talk and zapping my energy I can be using to learn more.about the great hobby I love. I won't be visiting this site anymore.
Googe

Postby the Doctor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:50 pm

I am entitled to my opinion, as are others...bye
Doc
the Doctor

Postby crow » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:51 pm

@ googe : A difference of opinion is not a shit fight , it is a difference of opinion. News flash not everyone likes the same thing and their opinion is worth the same as those who's opinions align with yours. Very obviously a lot of ppl like and want stainless steel stills and that is their prerogative. A lot of ppl prefer copper, hell I like copper but I'm not about to start telling everyone they should prefer copper as there's no issue with ss that has some copper in the vapour path. I really don't see your issue with this thread as if you have no interest in stainless steel why read the thread when the first post says its about that :confusion-confused: just avoid threads that discuss things you have no interest in , its that simple (see how many comments I've made in electrical controller threads ;-) )
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Doesn't anyone think it's a bit sad that this Alibaba seller is selling any hobo a still design that belongs to another customer of his ?

The same supplier has recently changed his user ID on alibaba, and also goes by the name Lilly for the Tianma sister company of Yayi light industrial, who also is using the the Docs art work to sell SD's bubble caps & other parts.

He's even shown me invoices that belong to others like SD and Hillbilly stills.

I've had samples sent from this person & also made a couple of small purchases with a promised delivery date that ended up 35 days late, so I've blocked him and never want to speak to the dishonest twat ever again.

I know if my supplier did any of this to me it would be the last time I ever spent a dollar with them, I'm just lucky I found an honourable company that concentrate on quality of service and product.

And for anyone else who think taking on this type of venture is an easy gold mine awaiting, it's easy to find a sleaze and buy someone else's design, but try designing your own gear and marketing it, well yeah good luck & I hope you like 18 hour days 7 days a week with a laptop chained around your neck. :laughing-rolling:

Cheers.
MacStill

Postby Spud1700 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:51 pm

the Doctor wrote:I was talking about the stuff you see on this still.
Doc

What I want to make clear to yourself, empty and mac is that this forum is not for disparaging other competitors. If such comments come from independant users fair enough. But not commercial members. As manufacturers you are judged by what you produce and not disparaging rhetoric.

??????
Spud1700

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:42 pm

googe wrote:all of this is about wanting a shinny stainless steel still, never seen any workmanship issues with local copper built stills :think: . I build my stuff from local suppliers, buy my tri clamps 2 mins from my front door for $10 for 4", all my fittings are local, solder, flux ect. Best way to bend Australia over and ram it hard is buying direct from over seas. Ever since theses shinny stills from over seas have entered forums it's been a.shit fight, doc, with SD, and now sd has gone someone else has seen an opening for cheap/free advertising/ photo shoots/videos/ websites. Makes me.feel sick seeing people get used and abused. I'm totally sick of all this talk and zapping my energy I can be using to learn more.about the great hobby I love. I won't be visiting this site anymore.

You have no idea how far off the mark you are googe, and if you have a problem with two people working at stopping all the arguing, well you and your venom are a part of that problem.

See ? you and guys like you and others here that keep throwing grenades inflaming things, like a dog on a dirty rag.... are the root of all the drama.

The sooner you lot let go of the past, and your grievances caused by yourselves, the sooner it all ends and people can get on with what I think is a great hobby worth pursuing. However until people accept their differences & stop bitching at each other like you do, well it's never going to end.

Take a look at all the vultures like yourself & others that just cant let things go, everytime someones name gets mentioned the vultures are circling ready to kick people in the guts, be nasty for the sole reason of hurting someones feelings, well if that's what forums and distilling is all about... stuff it! I'll shut shop and go fishing.

Good luck to you all.
MacStill

Postby emptyglass » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Are we quite finnished now?

Can we get back to Spuds still yet?
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:19 pm

emptyglass wrote:Are we quite finnished now?

You mean the mile hi still he bought from their supplier ?

Yea sure, why not ?
MacStill

Postby emptyglass » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:26 pm

the Doctor wrote:What I want to make clear to yourself, empty and mac is that this forum is not for disparaging other competitors. If such comments come from independant users fair enough. But not commercial members. As manufacturers you are judged by what you produce and not disparaging rhetoric.

Does this not apply to you mac?
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:37 pm

emptyglass wrote:
the Doctor wrote:What I want to make clear to yourself, empty and mac is that this forum is not for disparaging other competitors. If such comments come from independant users fair enough. But not commercial members. As manufacturers you are judged by what you produce and not disparaging rhetoric.

Does this not apply to you mac?

Yeah it does actually, but as long as this topic remains here I feel I have the right of response....

Don't you ?

Do you have a problem with facts because they're not sided with you ?

I've copped enough crap here on this site by plenty, been gagged, shut down while the attacks are allowed to continue... fairs fair hey :obscene-drinkingcheers:
MacStill

Postby Spud1700 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:46 pm

MacStill wrote:

Yea sure, why not ?

You said these stills are shitty quality, cheap and all the rest of the stuff you carry on about???????? Milehigh stills are shit then? Your saying they are the same? Supplier is the same? I heard that a lot of people are very happy with them?

You said the stills come from sweatshops? So by that you are saying Milehigh source there stuff from sweatshops?

Same still from the same factory? So if I was to get say 50 of these columns and then sell them for say $995 that would be unbelievably cheap especially compared to a still that was selling for $1750? Not quite half the price others charge but very close hey? I can see why you are so annoyed lol, kind of the last thing you would want hey?

If someone was selling boilers around the 100 - 120 ltr mark for $1200 and then someone started selling these 100 ltr milk cans for say $650 that would really suck for you wouldn't it.......

You must be super pissed off? Do you think $995 would be to expensive? Maybe a bit cheaper would be better?

If I was you I would try and bad mouth me and say how crap they are........ You need to do something.
Spud1700

Postby the Doctor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:50 pm

OK enough, let it go guys...you disagree I get it. But please move on. I do not locking threads but this one is now serving little purpose. Please all of you.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Spud1700 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Fair enough Doc
Spud1700

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Spud1700 wrote:
MacStill wrote:

Yea sure, why not ?

You said these stills are shitty quality, cheap and all the rest of the stuff you carry on about???????? Milehigh stills are shit then? Your saying they are the same? Supplier is the same? I heard that a lot of people are very happy with them?

You said the stills come from sweatshops? So by that you are saying Milehigh source there stuff from sweatshops?

Same still from the same factory? So if I was to get say 50 of these columns and then sell them for say $995 that would be unbelievably cheap especially compared to a still that was selling for $1750? Not quite half the price others charge but very close hey? I can see why you are so annoyed lol, kind of the last thing you would want hey?

If someone was selling boilers around the 100 - 120 ltr mark for $1200 and then someone started selling these 100 ltr milk cans for say $650 that would really suck for you wouldn't it.......

You must be super pissed off? Do you think $995 would be to expensive? Maybe a bit cheaper would be better?

If I was you I would try and bad mouth me and say how crap they are........ You need to do something.

You're right about everything Spud, except the fact you think you know my emotions... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Worried ? nah, upset ? doubt it, I hope your future is bright and you do well selling other peoples gear.... good luck & best wishes.

I hope you're honest about your future dealings with this supplier, I know you're going to end up disappointed by him, but dont listen to me mate :handgestures-thumbupright:
MacStill

Postby What » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:55 am

Hey spud
Regardless of what the minions say, she is a beauty, good pickup!!

Are the sight glasses 3" or 4"
Cheers
Reality: The illusion that occurs when you run out of alcohol
What

Postby midcarolina » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:00 am

Macstill, I sit back all too often and watch instead of taking action.... But googe has been a great member here and has always been well tempered honest
and straight up..... you will apologize to him for talking down to him with no respect like he is some kind of child! Or you will wake this sleeping bear :angry-cussing:

I will not sit by and watch you attempt to run off more members that where here before you............
Three can keep a secret..........if TWO are dead!!
midcarolina

Postby the Doctor » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:42 am

Guys I have asked for temperence...please, If you can not respect that I little option but to lock this discussion. I am getting worn by this.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 am

OK I have set back and just listened... this is enough... time to lock this one up and Spud post your best photo's links and pricing in your commercial section.

Doc I am locking this one if you want it unlocked do so... its way off track and we don't need the anger here... Let the parties got back to their own forums and the ones who make MD their Full Time Home have some peace...

FS
FullySilenced

Return to Plated Columns