the modern distiller

A new Coolant System for the Doc

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

A new Coolant System for the Doc

Postby the Doctor » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:09 am

I thought I would share some photos of our new coolant sytem for our twin head 8 inch column we are currently building. The Still will be a 6 plate bubble cap 8 inch 5 Star still with a twin head capable of being valve diverted to either a vodka head or a carter head both with their own condensers. The idea that we can run either vodka or gin or even both on the same run. The coolant requirements are reasonably big, So I have designed a pre-cooler for the return water... We have a high capacity ice making machine so if we get a couple of hot days in a row we can quickly cool the tank by running over night through the heat exchange with an ice bath. Apart from that, it is all pretty simple, a 12,000 liter per hour DAB pump heat rated to handle the temperature of outgoing water, plastic fittings for coolant side, brass and SS fittings for hot return. Domestic reinforced hose for coolant side and Barfell boil rated hose for hot return side. The total heat output for our two stills is 32,400 watts.
Doc

wide-shot.jpg

manifold-(-cold-side).jpg

pump.jpg

Detail-heat-exchange.jpg

heat-exchange.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Re: A new Coolant System for the Doc

Postby MacStill » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Ahhh yep! I think that should do the trick just nicely, doubt you'll have too many dramas with that cooling set up.

Cheers.
MacStill

Postby JayD » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Nice to see this coming together Doc...great work, we will put up our little set up once its finnished for you to see... :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby the Doctor » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:44 pm

I must admit I am sure getting excited about the new still getting up and running. At last a real professional still. We are talking about putting a solar farm in next year to help power expansion. Electricity is still my preferred path but in the future we may have to start thinking about steam generators.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby skow69 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:44 am

Looks great Doc! When do we get to see the still?
Distilling at 120f and 100 torr
Rectificato ergo sum.
skow69

Postby Bushman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:18 am

Congratulations it looks great and your always thinking ahead to the next step!
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby Maheel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:25 am

can you reclaim some of the "heat" and use it to warm fermenters / cleaning water etc

i was looking at a interesting brewery setup the other day where they were re-claiming heat from the boil to preheat the HLT etc
they were using the wort chilling system and reclaiming what they could and using the water as a pre-heater for the "cleanup" water heater
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby the Doctor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:31 am

Maheel wrote:can you reclaim some of the "heat" and use it to warm fermenters / cleaning water etc

i was looking at a interesting brewery setup the other day where they were re-claiming heat from the boil to preheat the HLT etc
they were using the wort chilling system and reclaiming what they could and using the water as a pre-heater for the "cleanup" water heater

Yes mate we already do reclaim heat for our hot room and ambient heating of our workspace in winter. We have heat hydronic heaters under our desks in winter run off the still.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby myles » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 am

the Doctor wrote:I must admit I am sure getting excited about the new still getting up and running. At last a real professional still. We are talking about putting a solar farm in next year to help power expansion. Electricity is still my preferred path but in the future we may have to start thinking about steam generators.
Doc

Solar furnace to generate steam?
myles

Postby the Doctor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:42 am

myles wrote:
the Doctor wrote:I must admit I am sure getting excited about the new still getting up and running. At last a real professional still. We are talking about putting a solar farm in next year to help power expansion. Electricity is still my preferred path but in the future we may have to start thinking about steam generators.
Doc

Solar furnace to generate steam?

Myles we have thought about a vacumn tube solar furnace to generate steam, I am concerned that we may not have sufficient sunshine hours though. I am leaning towards solar electricity as when it is not in use for the distillery we are selling power back to the grid which will generate some income to compensate for the overcast days where we have to draw from the grid...we are lucky to be near a college town and a CSIRO research facility...so I have some good brains to pick...a long way to go, but hey we have taken the first step. A number of properties near us have already set up tracking solar farms, with some success.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby SBB » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Nice going Doc, all the posts you have made about progress for the distillery side of things look excellent, Seems your powering ahead. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:
SBB

Postby emptyglass » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Well done Doc, looks impressive!
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby rickyd » Sat May 03, 2014 10:19 pm

man I have seen nuclear power plants with less thought put into the cooling :p a step in front it seems u r
The Stillin Villain
rickyd

Postby halfbaked » Sun May 04, 2014 12:33 pm

I gotta say Doc you really gotta start sharing more pics. That's good stuff.
halfbaked

Return to Plated Columns