the modern distiller

Dephlegmator Plumbing

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

Dephlegmator Plumbing

Postby myles » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:03 am

I know there are many ways to do your coolant flow through the dephlegmator, but basically you always need 2 configurations.

1. Ideally you would like an easy way to put it into 100% reflux (quickly?)
2. It would be nice to have a variable and less efficient dephlegmator during the run.

If this was a lower coolant capacity to increase the response time to changes then that would be even better.

Now some folks manage No 2, by using warm water and use cold water for No 1. However, this can get a bit complicated.

So I was wondering do any of you do this? I have been told before that this is overkill - but it is what I intend to do on my own rig.

variable flow dephlegmator.jpg

By using a 3 way valve the middle port can be either an input or an output.

For No 1 - 100% reflux - the valve position feeds full pressure coolant into the middle port and the drain is the top port. You still have a reduced flow into the lower port as an aid to mixing although it should not be needed. However, there is no need to adjust the flow control valve as the extra input does not do any harm.

For No 2 - during the run - the valve position configures the middle port as the drain. You have a reduced flow via the control valve and the condenser contains less volume of coolant for a faster response.

You still have the option of increasing the input flow until the water flows in faster than out, at which point the condenser backs up and fills towards the top port. In theory you could increase your reflux rate towards 100% although I can't see why you would ever need to.

Typically you run at either 100% reflux or over a range of values that are significantly lower than that.

What do you think? Please add in your own configurations for comparison - there are probably a few different versions in use in this forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
myles

Re: Dephlegmator Plumbing

Postby heartcut » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 am

If I was going to use a shotgun dephlegmater, that's the configuration I would (steal) use. My current is a 1/4" ss double coil that knocks down all the propane burner can put out, but responds very quickly.
heartcut

The reason lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place is that the same place isn't there the second time.
Willie Tyler
heartcut

Postby Zombie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:48 am

This is something (else) I need to learn. Wouldn't an adjustable valve alone do the same as using two valves?

Or are you draining the top half of the shotgun using the "T" valve?

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby WVSHINER » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:02 pm

I'm thinking that the knock down power will remain the same irregardless of the addition of an extra valve and its placement as the internal volume of the deflag remains constant.

Now if you were to build a deflag with zones independent of each other or connect two in series with the appropriate valving it might be what you are trying to achieve .

WVS.
Black labs know stuff.
WVSHINER

Postby Zombie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:18 pm

I think I get it.
With the three way in one direction you will get full water pressure, and a full shotgun. in another direction you will get metered pressure, and a full can. in the last position it will act as a dump valve, and you will have metered flow with less coolant volume inside the can. So the idea is... once it is "tuned" you simply change position of the "T" valve to get the condensing action you need.
Cool idea! I certainly am not qualified to comment on performance but I like the idea of one valve control (when running).

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby Aussiedownunder » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:02 am

On my setup water in to the shotgun then out to the dephlegmator on both in bottom and out the top I just control the water flow via the tap [I use mains water ] to about 2 litres a minute that gives approx. 40 deg on the pc
yesterdays tpw 4 litres per hr at 94 %
Yep took the advice of others and slowed down a bit
If its free pick it up
Aussiedownunder

Return to Plated Columns