the modern distiller

Falbygdens Bränneri AB

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

Falbygdens Bränneri AB

Postby harley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi to you all!

Now I'm back and I 've been invited by Doc !

I also apologized for my behavior last when my thread was locked for various reasons , which I and Doc has cleared and it's history now!

For those of you who do not know, I am a lawful manufacturer of equipment and spirits here in Sweden and I let build all my equipment locally here in Falköping where I live and operate.

I have to date not sold any equipment to someone else, but inquiries are from potential customers here in Sweden and should someone buy something from me , they have to have all the permits etc ...
Sweden is the country with probably most rules in the world, but it is just to adapt ...

I intend in the future to produce single malt whiskey and also single malt vodka for it the only thing that you can get paid for here where I live and is effective ...

For the moment I'm working on and build and develop my equipment so it is as perfect as I can get it to start with , and I will be completely honest , I have " snowed " in a bit on this to develop the equipment in front of the alcohol production ... but that is more interesting and less work...

Vodka , I will produce on an 8 " 20pc plate sieve plates for the fastest in relation to their column diameter and sieve plates are self draining when I wash it after finishing distillation .. and who wants to climb up 4-5 meter in the air and open the taps at each bubbelcaps plate at each washing , not me with my bad knees anyway.

Whisky will be manufactured at 3pc 12 " bubbelcaps plate with a larger number of small bubbelcaps per plate to begin with , later you'll even an 8" / 20cm giant bubbelcaps be manufactured and assembled at a new 12 " 3 plates copper column to compare the taste transport and speed ..

I will also produce 1pc 8 "3 plates whiskey column to stand on a 300liters bolier so I can sell a 30-liter whiskey barrels and that includes even the production of the / those who purchase this package , with any grain that they want. and "they/ the guest" shall produce this whisky together with me..

Next larger projects is to produce a so-called " malt robot" so I can buy my grain directly from the farmer and malting it myself and even smoke some of it ..
Price of unmalted barley directly from the farmer here in Sweden is about 1.5 skr per kg and if I buy malted barley from the big manufacturers, it costs about 5-6 skr per kg ... so you see that the profit becomes large and also traceability / local production is important in the board, all the steps.

My English is not so good but I use Google as translation software, and sometimes things get a little crazy for those who read this ...

I hope that you all to be patient with my bad English and question rather a time for much of anything is unclear and possibly misinterpreted ...

Therefore it is easier for me to post pictures with little text than to write much ...

Cheers
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
We are also on Facebook under our name
harley

Re: Falbygdens Bränneri AB

Postby harley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:27 pm

2 " 54mm single bubbelcaps to a 4pc plate test unit for Whisky!

A Swedish 4 " copper tube is 104mm internally and these 2 " single bubbelcap has a low serrated milled pattern with 24pc a 5x5x7mm corresponding almost exactly 5% of the inner column diameter .

I'm thinking of making a small test facility with a 4 " copper column and a50liter mash vessel for whiskey with 4plate of these and I have made 12st so a number will be over for now.

Well I think / believe that plates with these single bubbelcaps corresponds to plates with 5 small bubbelcaps in 4” is much better in Taste transfer ... yeas am hunting maximun taste transfer…

Now I will try to explain how I think ...
Here I have 5% of the column diameter in these 24pc coarse triangular steam output and this means I will get a much, much faster speed in the steam / flow in/thru the reflux licuid on the plate than what I get with 5pc small bubbelcaps which has about 16pcs small slots of steam on every bubbelcaps x5pc bubbelcaps .... are you with me, this a think and hope shall transfer much More Taste with this big singel bubbel caps and with this low pattern then the foreshot shall go away very fast becouse all bubbels shall always tuch/reach the bottom of the plate…

One can say that this is a greatly scaled down version of Kothes "aroma " single bubble caps plate.

Now I have already 2pc 4" flute (offcourse in copper) so I just need to build the column to test this side by side ....

cap1.png

cap2.png

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
harley

Postby harley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Update:

Little copper candy...

1st 12, "" whiskey "column entirely in copper with 3 distillation plates with a large number of small cups bubble caps fitted through these large 4" sight glasses. More photos on this 12 "whiskey column comes as it becomes ready, it must also be installed CIP head over each plate and evacuation / drainage via drainage pipes ...
col1.png

col2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harley

Postby harley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:29 pm

12 "reflux condenser is ready and standing by 2x 8" reflux condenser and my long 8” produktcooler all these 3 pc refluxcooler with 2 "side exit to build the smallest possible height and then it is much better looking too .... Better looking piping draving also ...

reflux1.png

reflux2.png

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:31 pm

This is how it looks today, and how far I've come.

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:37 pm

cap.png

1pc 2" bubelcaps and allso 1pc 4" bubbelcaps and they both have more steam output than 5% of the 4" and 8" column size.

This a personally think is the future for best taste transfer to lowest cost and with higest speed.. and yeas it,s a down scaled "kothe" singel aroma bubbelcaps, and you can forgett any problem with a "puke" when you have this pattern...

Cheers
Last edited by harley on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
harley

Postby harley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:42 pm

mcboiler.png

Here you can se my old insulated milktank that is now a boiler that a can put in about 600liter but a shall only put in about 500liter( 1000liter /2pc destillation) and a have 6pc 5500watts electric heater element in the back of it..

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:32 am

I read that some of you have problem to cool down the cooling water to yours plants… :-o
This is how it looks in my garden after only 2 days of snowing… so it is easy to drag out the cooling pipe in the snow and then it,s relly cold when it come back…. 8-)

outsided.png

And this is outside of my bränneri/distillery.
outside2.png

Cheers from a cold Sweden, land of clear and pure vodka.
harley

Postby harley » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:29 am

8” plate with a 4” bubbelcaps “typ aroma” bubbelcaps with over 5% low steam outlet of the column diameter…

cap1.png

The only thing that is note there so far is a ss m6 treaded rod and my 28mm returnpipe
cap2.png

Cheers
harley

Postby the Doctor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:12 am

Firstly welcome back Harley.. Your craftsmanship is extraordinary. And I must say that I envy your cooling system... So much snow. All I have is water. The Whiskey column is really impressive. I am sure that we will all enjoy your journey. Good to see you here.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby harley » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:12 am

Tanks Doc, that am welcome!

I shall try to get back some foto and info

This is what postman delivered to me today...

sitglaspunch.png

6pc stans/ punch 2pc 1,6mm 2pc 1,8mm and 2pc 2,0mm so now a relly can puch and test sieve plates to max in 8" size.. yeas thats my size in sieve plates.
and allso 4pc 4 1/2" big sight glass

Cheers
harley

Postby the Doctor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Nice mate...hopefully my new boiler will get off the dock and into a truck this afternoon or tomorrow morning... The new column is built and ready just waiting for the boiler now.
Cheers
Doc
the Doctor

Postby harley » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:03 am

Sound relly good,
What size is it in the boiler and what type of heating is you going for!

Personally a have 1pc 500liter and 1pc 300liter and´1pc 60gallon (that a dont now how many liter of mash that is good for yet) but they all are insulated so a think that a shall saw some power there, and alos not get it so heat in the bolier room...
They all are direkt heated with 5500watts electrik heater element.
I looking forewads to se some foto yours plant/bolier and allso with the big column on it.

Cheers from a cold Sweden
harley

Postby the Doctor » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:27 am

300 liters with 6 x 3600 watt elements driving a 8inch column ...I can't wait to get it up and running.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby harley » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:40 am

This sound relly good,
21600watt to 300 liter, that is much power a shall have 3pc 5500watts element to my 300 liter boiler and that is 16500watt and a think that is what a shall need to drive a 8" bubbelcaps column to max.

I relly looking forewards to se yours boiler and column togehter.

Now a have test puch my 1,6 1,8 and 2,0mm kina punch and the funktion wery good and the punch hole is 100% perfect...

punchmac.png

So now a can start to punch out a lot of differents hole size and hole % for testing in the future.

But for tasted products a relly think that this with 1pc big bubbelcaps typ Kothe "aroma" bubbelcaps is the future... much ceaper, faster destilling and shall transport more tast if a shall belew Kothe salesmen... but a shall test this allso later..

Cheers
harley

Postby sup-bro? » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:52 am

Been following your thread for some time Harley, very nice work.
You are a craftsman after my own heart.... only you are better. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Keep the photos coming and all the best for your distillery.
Sup-bro?
sup-bro?

Postby harley » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:18 am

Thanks,

A have calculate some time in this weekend and a have come up with this:
cap1.png

This pattern for steam outlet/ slots that a have on this 4"/ 108mm singel bubbelcap give me about 6,6% of the column diameter that is about 8"/ 200mm.
I have place for a 133mm big singelcaps ( that is max) and with same pattern then this shall give me about 8,8%.... but am note relly shure that a need so hight slots % when a only shall "feed it" with 16,500watt max...

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:17 am

Update:

12 "/ 30cm 3 plates whiskey column with CIP and drainage of the plates cleaned and ready for installation and it is for commersiell use.

column12.png

Cheers
harley

Postby the Doctor » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:27 am

That looks great mate... very cool.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby harley » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:59 am

Thanks Doc, it is wery heavy thats for sure, lots of copper...

But a relly don’t need so big as 12” are, a only build it because a want to test this size with many small bubbelcaps also with many small steam outlet in the cap ( the old style) and compare it with a 8” big single bubble caps column with a 133mm single bubbelcaps in a 8” with low rough saw pattern ( the new German style) this shall give more taste and less distillation time and also less foam on the plate, they say....

I personally think that 8” column size is good for up to about 500liter if you have more than 6% of column diameter thro all steam outlet together.. and this I think is the future with I pc single big bubbelcaps with a low rough saw pattern that have a steam outlet about 6,5%/104mm cap and 8.8%/ 133mm cap of column diameter with same pattern...

Yes, this is "the secret" to build a good wourking destillations coumn that you have more than 5% in all steam outlet together, 5% is the bottom line and i think that 6% is relly on the "safe side" of the column diameter :idea:

Look at Kothe “aroma column” and Carls and more Germans manufactures and a think thay all today is going for 1pc big bubbelcaps with this low rough saw pattern and they call it "aroma plate", this must be for a reason more than it is cheaper and faster to build like this with only 1pc big caps…

For vodka a still think that a good sieve plate is outstanding in performance and it is also self draining, that a relly like for my body dont like to go up in about 4,5 meter in the air and open all drain crane on eath plate after every time a have use it...

But i am still in my building/constuction time for my equipment and a dont destill anyting yet like you are doing, so maybe a change thinking later when am upp and running like you are doing.

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:29 am

Some more foto from the build time of this gigant...

rollseem.png

spraycol.png
Last edited by harley on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
harley

Postby harley » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:30 am

colay1.png

colstand.png

I think that a have about 37pc 16mm hole for bubbelcaps and dovncomers per plate.
Everyting is hardsolder with copper plumbing solder with about 2-5% silver in it to copper to copper and 55% pure silversolder when a solder ss to copper.

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:50 am

Copper flute comparison on youtube…. Worth seeing and worth considering… :confusion-confused:

Look at the sight glasses thickness in 3” size that is about 12mm and 2” sight glass is about 5mm thick in this film and some sellers of Chinese stainless steel flute has only 3.8 mm thick glass in 3”, this feels safe ... no, no… A ticking Time Bomb in front of your eyes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml_QahSo3L4#t=136

Merry Christmas and a happy new year and distill safely and do not forget the safety valve! :idea:

Cheers from Sweden. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
harley

Postby harley » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:44 pm

Merry Christmas to you all from Falbygdens Distilleries Ltd in a no snow Falköping.

Copper is a very nice material, easy to shape and affect the taste very positive.
Here you see how simple it can shape the copper so it can clamp plates in this track before hardsolder together the rolled plate to the pipe in the back and then the plates are 100% flat and has again "ugly" threaded rod visible ... a tip just use stainless hose clamps around the tiles outsides and not galvanized when you are putting together the "package" before brazing the back of galvanized discolor the copper off the heat ...
1.png

2.png

3.png

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:45 pm

And so we must have a picture of a Zündapp ks 125 as well, otherwise it is not the wheels ( crismas in swedish = jul/ hjul/wheel) complete;-)
Zündapp, Whisky and pure Vodka thats life...
zundap.png

Cheers
Last edited by harley on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harley

Postby harley » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Some of my own free thoughts on the future and what I think I will build in the ( soon) future.

A relly don’t need so big as 12” are, a only build it because a want to test this size with many small bubbelcaps also with many small steam outlet in the cap ( the old style) and compare it with a 12” and a 8” big single bubble caps column with a 133mm / 200mm single bubbelcaps in a 8” with low rough saw pattern ( the new German style) this shall give more taste in less distillation time and also less foam on the plate, they say....

I personally think that 8” column size is good for up to about 500liter if you have more than 6% of column diameter thro all steam outlet together.. and this I think is the future with I pc single big bubbelcaps with a low rough saw pattern that have a steam outlet about 6,5%/104mm cap and 8.8%/ 133mm cap of column diameter with same pattern...

Yes, this is "the secret" to build a good working destillations column that you have more than 5% in all steam outlet together, 5% is the bottom line and i think that 6% is rely on the "safe side" of the column diameter...

Look at Kothe “aroma column” and Carls and more Germans manufactures and a think that thay all today is going for 1pc big bubbelcaps with this low rough saw pattern and they call it "aroma plate", this must be for a reason more than it is cheaper and faster to build like this with only 1pc big caps…

cap.png

Follow this link and look at the bottom of the page so you can see what it looks like inside a Kothe column, it foam nothing on a kothe plate with 1pc giant bubbelcaps and a coarse low sawtooth pattern ... Worth thinking about ...
http://www.nerconsult.com/kothe.htm

For vodka a still think that a good sieve plate is outstanding in performance and it is also self draining, that a relly like for my body dont like to go up in about 4,5 meter in the air and open all drain crane on eath plate after every time a have use it...

But i am still in my building/constuction time for my equipment and a dont destill anyting yet , maybe a change thinking later when am up and running...
Cheers
harley

Postby sup-bro? » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Looking good Harley.
:handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

How thick is the copper sheet you are using?
It looks thick.
Sup-bro?
sup-bro?

Postby harley » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:22 am

sup-bro? wrote:Looking good Harley.

It looks thick.

Hi, thanks,

My copperplate/sheet is only 1,5mm thick that a use for all copper column and plates.

Cheers
harley

Postby Finespirits » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:05 am

Do you have any pics of inside your condensers? We are building an 8" whisky column with a bit of packing in it and I'm trying to figure out my condenser size. I like what you have done.
Finespirits

Postby Zombie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:37 am

I never saw this thread... It's like Penthouse! I'm all ,,,never mind! Amazing!

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby harley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:25 am

Hi, here com som foto of my refluxcondensor inside.
The space betven all pipes in the middle is for my temp sensor to my reflux controller.
It is IMPORTANT THAT THE HEIGHT IN THE WATERPART IS 2 TIME THE DIAMETER.... and you dont have to small pipe for the wapor to trawel becouse the refluxlicuid is going down there and the wapor stem is going upp...

I have many, many 20mm copperpipe...

1.png

2.png

3.png

Hope that this help you and you get some idea from it.
Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:27 am

bild392.png

bild422.png

My produkt cooler below.
bild394.png

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:33 am

This is what am doing now, a 4” 100% pure copper sightglass ( in waporphase) and working port… so a can get in my big hand in there and work with the plate if a need it…
4” 108mm sightglass and working port all steam contact in pure copper and fast and easy to take apart and put together again…
bild740.png

bild739.png

Cheers
Last edited by harley on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
harley

Postby harley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:39 am

Here is i link to swedish brewery forum and there it is more foto/picktures if you want to se more of my work.
My English issnt so good so a dont wright so much here, but a shall be better to send more foto/ pictures here.

http://www.bryggforum.nu/viewtopic.php? ... &start=555

Cheers
harley

Postby Finespirits » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:40 am

Awesome! Do you have any tips to building the product cooler. Like I said before, we are building our 8" whisky column and I'm trying to figure out the product cooler size.
Thanks
Finespirits

Postby harley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 am

bild702.png

bild730.png

bild732.png
harley

Postby harley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:48 am

Finespirits wrote:Awesome! Do you have any tips to building the product cooler. Like I said before, we are building our 8" whisky column and I'm trying to figure out the product cooler size.
Thanks

I like to go relly LONG and allso big in the produktcooler becouse a must pay for my water here were a live!
So for an 8" 4 plates sieve ore bubbel a personally shall go for a 6"/125mm and about 40"/1000mm produktcooler and them a relly now that this is more than enought... but it it wery important that you have "shet, plates" inside so the water must zig-zag all time.. look in my 8"/40" produktcoler...

This is what a am doing...

Cheers
harley

Postby Finespirits » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks!
Finespirits

Postby Zombie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:21 pm

There are simple formulas around to figure your condenser size. Use the vapor temp at the cooler input, convert to BTU's.

The energy flow into the coller is:

Qin = flowrate*heat_capacity*Tin

The energy flow out of the cooler is:

Qout = flowrate*heat_capacity*Tout

The amount of heat you need to remove is:

Q = Qin - Qout = flowrate*heat_capacity*(Tout - Tin)

For water: heat_capacity = 4.18 kJ/kg-C
8 oz = 0.24 L => 0.24 kg
The flowrate is 0.24 kg/42 s = 0.0057 kg/s
Tout = 0.5 C <-- will be hard to get this low (freezing), maybe aim for a few degrees higher
Tin = 70 C

Now you can calculate Q:

Q = 0.0057*4.18*(70-0.5) = 1.65 kW
This is about 94 BTU/min

Figure your ideal flow rate for the water, and size accordingly

Zombie

Postby Finespirits » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:14 am

Awesome!!
Finespirits

Postby Zombie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:13 am

I thought stillin' was easy... :laughing-rolling:

Zombie

Postby harley » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:19 am

A number of 4 "sight glass (same as in my drawing) is now manufactured and will go on anodizing. Vapors will only have contact with copper as both column and sight glass consists of for the best final results.
With this size "104mm inside 4" pipe" it is allso possibel to work on the plate throu the sightglass hole....

bild750.png

bild751.png

Cheers
harley

Postby Zombie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:56 am

Man... Big boy toys! I love it!

Zombie

Postby myles » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Harley I am sorry that I am being so slow to understand this point.

Are you saying that the total surface area of all the vapour slots added together, should be about 6% to ??% of the plate area?

So the area covered by the cap itself, is not that critical, but the area of the slots is. What are the typical ranges?
myles

Postby myles » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:36 pm

I am too late to edit the above comment. Are you applying the same plate area %ages to slotted caps as you would to a perforated plate, or are you using different ranges?
myles

Postby Finespirits » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:11 pm

harley wrote:
sup-bro? wrote:Looking good Harley.

It looks thick.

Hi, thanks,

My copperplate/sheet is only 1,5mm thick that a use for all copper column and plates.

Cheers

For a 36" high 8" diameter column, what thickness would you go with?
Finespirits

Postby harley » Sat May 17, 2014 4:42 am

Hi Myles!
What I have come to is that you must have at least 6% flow volume, (together exists emissions volume of all small or large steam slots in capsen) of the column volume ... then functions return pipe maximum .. this is therefore a lower limit when you have bubbelcaps on the plate and want to take out MAX of what the column diameter can produce......

Hi Finespirit
Many of the major established manufacturers just seem to have a thickness of their columns of 1.0 mm copper plate but then the column is also 12 "or larger and some of them are more than 4 meter hight.... but in 1meter sektions....

Some uppdate:
bild787.png

bild782.png

This is 4” ferule specially made to fit inside a swedish 4” copperpipe that are 104mm inside and 108mm outside.
bild781.png
harley

Postby harley » Sat May 17, 2014 4:53 am

4" 108mm sightglass with 12mm thick pyrex glass
bild780.png

bild779.png

bild778.png
harley

Postby harley » Sat May 17, 2014 4:54 am

bild777.png

bild776.png

bild775.png
harley

Postby harley » Sat May 17, 2014 4:55 am

bild774.png

Cheers
Last edited by JayD on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: all photo's uploaded to our server to preserve the future integrity of thread.
harley

Next

Return to Plated Columns