the modern distiller

Falbygdens Bränneri AB

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

Re: Falbygdens Bränneri AB

Postby harley » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:46 am

Then I started with my 12 "3 plates copper column with 1pc single bubbelcaps and first so made it 3pc approx 220mm bubbelcaps .....

bild.png

bild1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
We are also on Facebook under our name
harley

Postby harley » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:47 am

bild947.png

bild946.png

And some work with 4 "column with 54mm single bubble caps was fixed also

bild943.png

Cheers från Falköping
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JayD on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
harley

Postby Zombie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:37 am

Hey Harley... Do you have a single sister?

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby harley » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:02 am

Sorry my friend,

My little sister is dead in cancer in about 5 years ago, she was very pretty but she smoked to much….

That’s life and this is one of the reasons to why a am building and building to I am self happy with the end result… because that is the only thing that is left after all of us!
The stuff we made…

Now a am sitting and thinking of a “Swedish made” destilations boiler and a think that a shall let build 2pc..

1pc insulated with the electric heater element strait in the mesh for fastest reaction to the control panel and best performance and 1pc boiler with bain marie/ oil around it an no insultation, sorry but this is the way it shall be and some people want to have in “hole garden” in the boiler, then bain marie/oil bath is the way to go….

I am not sure if a shall let this boiler be made in copper or stainless… if I go for copper then a can made it all from plan copper sheet in 2-3mm…

If a go for stainless a can by finished/ stansed round bottom end and also top end with a cone in 45 degres and in about 3mm thickness.

About 80cm shall it be in diameter and about 90cm height + cone and if a loaded it with about 300 liter then it shall be about 60cm mash height then a have about 30cm left for the foam+ cone before column come…

http://www.buktens.se/index.php?option= ... 7&Itemid=6

Here you al can se some “easy made” copper model that a relly like… but am note sure that copper in the boiler is so easy to clean after everytime you have use it.. ss i think is much easier to clean and a have all rest parts ( in stem part) in pure copper so i think that is enought copper alredy..
copboil.png

still.png

Here can you se howe the finished cone in ss looks like…
rebel.png

Cheers from Sweden.
Last edited by JayD on Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please upload to our server.
harley

Postby Zombie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:21 pm

I am deeply sorry for your loss Harley. I apologize for my poor humor as well.

You are 100% correct. There is NOTHING we can leave behind except for our work. Be it instilled values that we pass to our children or the physical things we make. Like I said before your work stands for itself. It will be here much longer than any of us, and I hope it is remembered as yours.

I was going to link you a US company that Pre-Fabs stainless so all you have to do is the welding but I see (as always) you have it well under control. There are just a few people that impress me. You are one of them.

Ögon som inte gråter, inte ser

Zombie

Postby harley » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:42 am

It,s okey. No problem that’s life.

Issnt this little 4” lovely with both drain and ciphead, a relly like it and soon a shall test both pc1 with 54mm caps and 4mm pattern and this pc2 with 63mm caps and 4,5mm pattern of this test column with 5500watt power to about 50 liter of mash..

stilcol.png

My 220mm single bubbelcaps is finish, now a shall fix 3pc plate to this in 12”/30cm also this weekend and a go for 4" as riser so a dont need to have so much licuid to fill this 12"plate....

bubl.png

bublcap.png

And a shall go with bolted conections in all size over 8" becouse this is the limit for me with clamps and ferrules conections...

Cheers from Sweden
Last edited by JayD on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please upload to our server
harley

Postby Zombie » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:52 am

Beautiful still. First class materials, and workmanship. You have set a high bar for the rest of us looking to build but I thank you for that.

I have a question on the Pict. of the Rebel still you posted. Perhaps you will know... The coil of copper that is shaped sort of like a worm connecting the product condenser to the reflux condenser... I assume that is there to cool the water between the to interconnected condensers. I would think something like a finned radiator tube would be more efficient.. Do you know why they used a heavy coil full of water vs any other method? Is that there for cooling?
More importantly would you use something like that? Everything inside me says no.

Zombie

Postby harley » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 am

Thank you, :text-welcomewave:

I think it has the rolled tube so here mostly for stylish look.

I only see the problem with having such a long distance between the column and the product cooler and it is clearly visible in this small rolled water cooling tube construction ...
I am close to the optimum plate design for maximum taste transfer and also maximum separation….
Only one thing is left.. the Optimum height of this low saw tooth pattern…
It shall ended up some were between 4-5mm so am going for 4,5mm to start with… :confusion-confused:

bild966.png

The distance that the reflux licuid Must travel before it can go down to next plate is More than 2x plate/column size.... in all column size.... :handgestures-thumbupright:

That is a Pro plate :lol:

Nuts.... :obscene-moneypiss: "pro" 36 crap

Cheers from Sweden
Last edited by JayD on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: uploaded photos to server.
harley

Postby Zombie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:02 am

I can see where planning that pattern can be a major bitch. You either have to change the circumference of the cap or the angle of the tooth.
I would also assume the only way to know the true effect is to make multiple caps to compare to each other... Are you planing any chemical analysis or are you trusting you pallet to determine the results of you cap design?

I would think 0.5mm differences could be quite subtle, and almost subjective.

Ps... If the coil was there for style... It missed the mark. Just my opinion tho. It's a beautiful looking still but that coil just looked unfinished like an after thought.

Zombie

Postby harley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:52 am

Bubble Caps are really easy to size/dimension for maximum taste transfer ... only you know if the input power to the column ...
If you have too much / too high / flow discharges through bubblel caps slots then you build up pressure and then you have to increase the return pipe diameter Very much/powerful if you don like to flood the plate ... and if you have to little input power to column so probably not all slot shall work and press the steam Down to the bottom plate...

look relly carfully/close to Stilldragons video of theres Old pro caps 36... then you se that the bubbels/steam is only coming out at the top of this caps... and 50% of the height is note in use of theres slots height :angry-banghead: .... foreshot shall be there for a long time, and the distans for the reflux liciud is about 1,5cm to travel ... Nuts... :angry-banghead:

The Thing is to keep all the steam emissions at all times so they really Press the steam to the bottom of the plate and the optimum would be if you could get them to travel farther/longer through targeted 10mm lips that went out horizontally across each low triangle ...

The triangel shap is what a think is optimum for slots... becouse then you can relly ceep the height down of this slot pattern and also have it wery close to the plate bottom all time even if you go with low power.... Think and think again... then you all shall get to same conclusion ;-))) :text-welcomewave:

And off course the travel distans and time that the reflux licuid can ceep/stay on eath plate level ( with out flooding) is wery important to get maximum of this plate......

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby Zombie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:23 pm

For the first time I was able to understand the entire post in one read.

You are on a different level than the SD guys Harley. I wouldn't compare your designs to theirs for any reason. What you are doing is creating a commercial still that is designed from you heart/head/hands. You have a true passion for what you are doing, and your work reflects that. In fact it will stand tall long after all of us are gone.

Those fellas are aiming for market share in a retail world. Their parts are CAD designed for machines to produce. The Human factor is not involved. I am in no way denying their right to design/build/sell anything they want, and I do give them credit for being an ambitious group of fellas but their goal is money.
Your goal is a great finished product (spirits).
It's not really fair to compare the two. It's almost like you get to play a round of golf w/ top notch equipment, and they have to play with a pool cue, and a bastket ball. See what I mean?

Everything has it's place. For the fella that can't afford a $100,000.00 build, I'm sure a SD will suit them fine. For a fella that wants one of the finest stills in the world he would be wasting time there. We all get that.

You're a top shelf builder Harley. I'm proud to be able to say I talk with you on this forum. That actually means something to me. I believe everyone that is following your build(s) will agree. :handgestures-thumbupright:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Zombie

Postby harley » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:32 pm

This bubbelcaps pattern worked perfectly according to my calculations, so I'm very happy with this result, see for yourself, the steam have Always contact to the bottom of the plate... This is Wery important!

5500watt effect and from a 10-14% sugar mash ... but which I was quickly found that the bubbelcapsen must be round for at the top becouse the reflux drop is controlled by the rising vapor stream and pressed toward to the center of the column and also the cup / steamlock should be further down / closer to the plate/bubbelcaps under so this phenomenon becomes less so as it looks in the movies, the reflux can get across the flat bubbelcapsen and it's Certainly not good, the reflux should ALWAYS have such a long road that permit to transport himself before falling to the next level ...: idea:

Now I have tilted the steamlock / cup so that the reflux would stick to the column wall all the time but this did not help when the upward steam flow is as strong as it is at 5500watt and from such a strong mash ...
and walk / climb from bubbelcapsen outside of the plate center over of which is the entrance hole for the steam ...
so the recipe / solution to overcome this is both round / domed bubbelcaps top and lower vapor lock / cup / closer to the plate/bubbelcaps ...

Now learn this problem reduce/get smaller the larger column diameter you have .......

bild1.png

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Cheers från Sweden
Last edited by JayD on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: all photo's uploaded to our server to preserve the future integrity of thread.
harley

Postby Zombie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:36 am

I cannot see the Vids from my browser but I think I know what you are saying...
Have you considered turning over the tops of your caps, and lowering them as you said to force the liquid out in front of the vapor?
I understand the high domes you have are allowing the reflux to settle under the vapor. If you made them much flatter the vapor can make a "wall" that the reflux will be pushed by.

I wonder if a cyclonic effect to the vapor can be achieved to spin the reflux out?
Like this inside the cap? Perhaps several of them set in stages?

Zombie

Postby Zombie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:07 am

Perhaps a very different idea... Something simple to build.

If you get the engineering right (pressure vs reflux) you may not even need a riser pipe. I think pressure can hold just like a valve design. Make a completely flat cap just large enough for your saw tooth pattern.

Zombie

Postby Zombie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:19 am

" I think pressure can hold just like a valve design. Make a completely flat cap just large enough for your saw tooth pattern."

I believe I just re created the Kothe caps...
Someone here said... "No matter what you think up it has been done already" Yet I refuse to quit... Zombie

Zombie

Postby TheMechwarrior » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Harley,

I've been tracking your thread now across multiple forums to finally find the latest info here :)

Early you mentioned you were going to compare the performance difference of a single bubble cap versus multiple small caps.
Have you managed to do this yet?

Cheers,

Mech.
Together Each Achieve More.
TheMechwarrior

Postby TheMechwarrior » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:50 pm

Harley,

Early you said you wanted to compare single large bubble versus many small caps, did you ever get round to doing the comparison?

PS...love your all your work! and your condenser; it looks like just you, me and Kothe go to the trouble of using baffle plates.

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

Postby harley » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:18 am

My English issnt so god so a need to translate all fack tems/strange words , that’s why a didn’t write so much.
I am note up and running yet with my 8” and 12” column but in 4” a have tested a little and 1pc big single bubbelcaps seem to transfer more taste then 4pc small caps, but that is what some whisky taster people say… my self can note taste the different yeat, but a think the different shall be bigger in bigger columns…
I have a 4 plate with many small sd bubbelcaps in both 8” and 12” and also 1pc big 50/50 singel bubbelcaps column in both this size so in start of next year a shall test this to 100% and some whisky people shall taste the “white dog” and se if they can say what give me most and best taste transfer…
I am most this time on a close Swedish distiller forum: http://arc.forum24.se/arc.html
They made the best/cleanest/purity vodka/neutral in the world this people in this forum
Some updates:

har.png
harley

Postby harley » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:19 am

1h.png

2h.png

Next project is to made 3pc 20cmx100cm copper column filled with pall rings to produce pure vodka and here am testing a combinated packing supportplate and distribuiting plate of the reflux that going down...
I shall have 1pc 300cm hight packed column with 16x16x0,5mm ss304 pallet ring and 1pc of my super reflux cooler on top of this… mayby/hopefully a get out 30-40 liter 96% per hour from a 6-8% mash with this solution…
3h.png

Cheers from Sweden.
harley

Postby TheMechwarrior » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks Harley, I'm also on the arc forum so I'll check in with you there. ;)
TheMechwarrior

Postby harley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:59 am

5931.png

5932.png

5933.png
harley

Postby harley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:00 am

59311.png

59322.png

59333.png
harley

Postby harley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:01 am

593111.png

593222.png

593333.png
harley

Postby harley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:01 am

10x10x0,3mm pall ring in ss 304 compare to SPP 4,5x5,5mm from Poland
701.png

702.png

703.png
harley

Postby harley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:02 am

7021.png

7022.png

7023.png
harley

Postby harley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:02 am

1.png

SPP from Poland in 4,5x5,5mm and Pall ring 10x10x0,3mm and 16x16x0,5mm from Kina.

2.png

3.png
harley

Postby harley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:03 am

Some plate to made the water to zig -zag Inside of 6pc 160cm high product cooler in 4”
1.png

Inside of 2pc 8” refuxcooler
2.png
harley

Postby harley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:04 am

As you see from the above pictures on pallet ring so the next project is to produce a number of 8 "sections in copper “off course” with a height of 100cm for vodka production filled with 10x10x0,3mm pallet ring and some also with 16x16x0,5mm pallet ring so a can compare what size that gives me the best results to 33 000watt power and with my super shoot gun reflux coolers in copper ...
As you also can see I have a combined packing support plate and distribution in bottom of each 1 meter section which has an open area that exceeds the column diameter so I do not get any constrictions where ...

This shall be without any electronic temp/water controll becouse we have EX/ATEX = explosionproof on/in the boiler and about 2 meter around it in Sweden and a think the hole/all EU..... and we must also be below 1 bar/15psi with ours safety valves......

More pictures will what suffers ..

Cheers from Sweden land of pure vodka..
harley

Postby Prunus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:04 am

Hej Harley,

read your thread and like it!
Have you ever heard of "DishedBottoms"? They make constructions much more easier and more stylish.
This is a picture of them.

DishedBottomCopper.jpg
Prunus

Postby harley » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:49 am

Hi,
Yes, a have some dished bottom and also some hemisfärisk/ half ball top, to my next boiler build that shall have about 300liter mash volym and a great space for the foam….
I go for ss in the boiler for this is much easier to clean and copper in all the steam phase for best taste and heat/could transfer…
1.png

2.png

Cheers from Sweden land of Pure Vodka
harley

Postby Zombie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 am

Your threads are wearing out my mouse wheel Harley. Maybe once you get tired of spending $$$$$$$$$'s I can buy a bit of your well crafted labors.

Zombie

Postby harley » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:54 am

Some update and copper porn.

har1.png

har2.png

har3.png
harley

Postby harley » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:55 am

har4.png

har5.png

har6.png
harley

Postby harley » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:56 am

har7.png

har8.png

har9.png
harley

Postby harley » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:57 am

2pc vodka set is finish with 2 meter 8” column all in copper for 10x10x0,3mm pall ring is finish.

har10.png

har11.png
harley

Postby harley » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:57 am

har12.png

har13.png

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:10 pm

That is simply amazing work. :clap:
TheMechwarrior

Postby Zombie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:55 am

Just lost for words... Amazing!

Zombie

Postby harley » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:32 pm

Many thanks for this nice words.

Have just started to rebuild an old insulated 300 liter milk tank to boiler.

Here you can see 3pc 4 " inputs to 70cm long ATEX / EX immersion heaters ( with certificate) with as low surface effect as 3,41watt cm2 to meet the requirements and have ATEX / EX demand in the EU.

There will be a 3mm stainless steel top “hemispheric” On top for the foam expansion space.

hboiler1.png

hboiler2.png

hboilerdome.png

Cheers from Sweden.
harley

Postby Zombie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:26 am

Ahhhh Getting to the Boiler. It's almost Party Time!!!

That boiler is very similar to the materials I purchased to build mine.
I used a conical base but the dome, and dimensions are very similar. I also looked at retired dairy containers, and found them too pricey for my budget. Can't wait to see your project up, and running.

Zombie

Postby harley » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:12 am

My bolier ”bullet” is soon finish, some people call it R2D2……

hboilerfin.png

I have also stansed out some 8” sieve plates specially designed for my conditions in mash volym and power, but this time for best taste transfer with less smearing, note % this time….

Next is to made 3pc 2plate sections with this sieve plates so a can easy and fast change from 2pc plates to 4pc ore 6pc plates and of course with cip head in the back over every plate and all in copper…,

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:45 am

Loving this thread harley!

I just noticed your stainless to copper brazing, is that a silicon bronze filler metal?
TheMechwarrior

Postby Zombie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Can you share the plate specifications?

Hole percentage, and the down-comer percentage? If not I understand.

Thanks for sharing the picts. It keeps me off YouPorn...

Zombie

Postby harley » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:04 am

TheMechwarrior wrote:Loving this thread harley!

I just noticed your stainless to copper brazing, is that a silicon bronze filler metal?

Yes, CuSi3 is the right "name" of it... and it works 100%..

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby harley » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:58 am

What are you doing Saturday night ...

Self so I sit and count and sketches on a product cooler in 4 "x100cm stainless to match my 8" reflux condenser in copper and designed for the maximum 35 kilowatts ...

Stainless is no fun materials to build the product cooler :crying-yellow: of the because it "leads" far too little to copper, which is reflected in the extremely low gas velocity that you must have to copper ......

Cheers från Fkp
harley

Postby harley » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:08 am

Some copper porr….

Cheers from Fkp
harley

Postby harley » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:14 am

My 15pc ATEX/EX heaters have arrived at last…. :grin:

Here are 3pc 240 volt 5500 watt heating elements .... but it is only 1pc that is approved to ATEX / EX ( explosion proof) for use in distillation plants in the EU and of course so is everything in the wet part of stainless ... .. and now maybe you all understand why I have 4 "connections in the boiler to the electricity cartridges. ....

Of course, these are manufactured within the EU for the EU's demands ...

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby TheMechwarrior » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Do you have an online link to where one might be able to buy the super low density elements?
TheMechwarrior

Postby harley » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:37 am

TheMechwarrior wrote:Do you have an online link to where one might be able to buy the super low density elements?

Here you have some links to company that sell ATEX/EX electric heaters with certificate for use inside EU..

They are not cheap but you Must have it inside EU if you are legally manufacture/ User….

My own have 5500watt 240 volt 3,1watt cm2 and are 700mm long with 10cm cold part in beginning... and 2,5" BSP tread so 4" conections is a good size.

http://www.acim-jouanin.fr/anglais/ATEX ... _ATEX.html

http://www.exheat.com/

http://www.cetal.com/en/hazardous-area- ... -area.html

http://www.fati.com/fati_eng/prodotti.html

http://www.athex.eu/en/contact.html

https://www.atexdelvalle.com/en/catalogs

Cheers from Sweden.
harley

Postby harley » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:09 am

Som up dates:

There is a reason way all Germans manufactures have same typ of free space over the mash bed in the boiler…. And of course a have this " right" type of manhole….

Cheers from Sweden.
harley

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Columns