the modern distiller

Falbygdens Bränneri AB

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

Re: Falbygdens Bränneri AB

Postby Zombie » Sat May 17, 2014 8:25 pm

:shock:

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby harley » Tue May 20, 2014 5:16 am

An 8 "column entirely of copper with 4 plates, CIP head in the back, the drain on the side and 5 pcs 4" sight glasses are emerging from a 1.5 mm copper plate!
This column will contain a large number of small bubbelcaps.
bild788.png

I have 2pc more 8" colum to build before a go into the mash stage/build!

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
We are also on Facebook under our name
harley

Postby rickyd » Tue May 20, 2014 2:11 pm

you guys aqre all artists
The Stillin Villain
rickyd

Postby Zombie » Tue May 20, 2014 3:09 pm

It looks like you formed the plates into the column, and then welded the column seam?

Zombie

Postby harley » Tue May 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Yes, we are puting in the destill plate before and then hardsolder it all together with hard copper solder.

We have also made I “wall” so the plate relly is going to end up 100% right/straight from beginning.

Look in this small “test” foto/pictures of the “wall “
bild476.png

bild474.png

Of course a have drain on the side and a cip head in the back so a can both clean every plate and also drain it after every time a have use this copper column.

This is note so difficould to made as it looks like!

So come on and build big column in pure copper :text-welcomewave:

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
harley

Postby harley » Tue May 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Todays work!
bild789.png

bild792.png

Tomorrow we shall start with a new 8" copper column but this time with my own made big singel bubbelcaps :shock: but the outside shall look the same as this column...

Cheers
harley

Postby Zombie » Wed May 21, 2014 10:19 am

World Class my friend. Perhaps your columns, will be in use 200 years from now?

Zombie

Postby Sungy » Wed May 21, 2014 11:40 am

WOW .man that big boy is gonna rock ... wish I could see this one running...
To quote my sister " Why cant you use your powers for good and not evil !"
Now what Kinda fun would that be.....
Sungy

Postby harley » Thu May 22, 2014 2:53 am

Kolonn NR 2 started!
Will be equivalent to column nr 1 but with a different type of plate with the 1st self made giant bubble caps insted of many small bubbelcaps

Today was even a 5 meter copper pipe, pipe which is 70mm outside and 66mm inside for column nr3 that shall be 1,25m hight and have 4pc 70mm copperpipe filled with SPP...

So ODIN ... soon a need about 20 liters ss SPP ... :handgestures-thumbupright:
bild796.png

bild797.png

bild798.png

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Fri May 23, 2014 1:34 am

Todays work is to made the 8” Copper column nr 2 finnish with 1pc gigant home made bubbelcaps sprayball in back and drain on the side...
bild800.png

bild799.png

Both this 8" column have 4pc plates and a sightglass and allso sprayball that clean it below the last/bottom plate so a can se if any foam is coming up to hight....

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Sat May 31, 2014 9:06 am

Little 4”column with 1pc 2” single cap with low saw pattern that is 6% of column diameter to my 50 liter testpant/boiler is made from 5pc 4” copper pipe sections and also with sprayball in back and drain on side and 2” sightglass also below last plate.
bild808.png

bild813.png

bild814.png

bild818.png

bild823.png

bild824.png

bild8280.png

bild805.png

Cheers from Falköping
harley

Postby Zombie » Sat May 31, 2014 2:44 pm

I have no words to describe how impressed I am with your talent, and quality of materials. I also think it is appropriate to thank you sincerely for sharing what you are creating.

Howeverrrrrr. I have two old buckets, and some pipe that make a mighty fine Scotch. :mrgreen:

I wish I had the inclination to build like that. World class for sure. :bow-blue:

Zombie

Postby harley » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:42 am

8 1/2" singel copper bubbelcaps in a 12" kopperkolumn.

The low saw pattern is finnish...

More foto is coming later...

b1.png

b2.png

b3.png

Cheers from Falköping
harley

Postby harley » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:20 am

This is made in Sweden from Pure new copper :grin: and Note china made from recycling....

Cheers from Falköping
harley

Postby Zombie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:27 am

I would not expect anything less. It's a 200 year build.

Zombie

Postby harley » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:59 am

Today's work consisted of rolling 8 x 8 "bubble caps rings and then braze them together.
Became part spills over so possibly it could be a new 4 "column with Maximum size of a single bubbelcaps ... now when I roll them from a strip of sheet metal instead of cut 2" pipe and I must have little to do on Saturday, Sunday also ...

The compression mold to push the roof around / vaulted to these 8 "Ordered in beechwood in 2p pieces of a friend who also will manufacture my oak casks / barrels for storage later ..
b1.png

b2.png

b3.png
harley

Postby harley » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:59 am

b1.png

b2.png

b3.png
harley

Postby harley » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:00 am

b1.png

b2.png

Cheers från Falköping
harley

Postby harley » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:41 am

Today's work in the shop made from "Spill bits" left over when we have made them larger columns!
4x 2.5 "bubbelcaps is rolled round and soldered together and even roof is made and soldered.

4x 108mm bottoms of plates is the next project to manufacture.
Then a have same pattern min 1pc singel bubbelcaps in 4” 8” and 12” Column
b1.png

b2.png

b3.png
harley

Postby harley » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:42 am

b1.png

b2.png

Cheers från Falköping
harley

Postby Zombie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:44 am

That is a huge commitment in materials. Have you tested any of these caps yet? I think I read you are modeling the free space after Kothe?

Zombie

Postby harley » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:05 am

Zombie wrote:That is a huge commitment in materials. Have you tested any of these caps yet? I think I read you are modeling the free space after Kothe?

Well it is after kothes single aroma column and I have not tested this myself yet...
(a am legal and once I begin to distill first drop, everything is running but a " homedestiller" that are my very close friend ) have tested my little 2 "/ 54mm single bubbelcaps, yes I have donated away some stuff .. and it worked better than expected but this was the small / 54mm with little lower 4mm pattern now a build 1pc more 4 "column with larger caps approx 63mm instead of 54mm and with about 0,5-0,6mm higher patterns that give more of the effect I strive for (and can allso recive/take more power) ... maximum flavor transfer at the expense of smaller/less % ...

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby harley » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:15 am

The entire column volume! count up all the steam output in the bubbelcaps total volume and this amount should not be less than 5% of the column total volume,but it also works under 5% but you can not use the same high power becouse it can built up pressure and then the plate can floded... ( same as in sieve plates)

Dont fogett to calculate the size of the riser pipe also so you dont get any restrictors there and also between ceiling in caps and to pipe end !

Then you realize that a 2 "bubbelcaps is a bit too small / too low throughput area on a 4" plate and a 2.5 "bubbelcaps would be optimal because then you can have a lower serrated pattern.

it is very difficult to figure out how many low serrated triangles as you can fit ! becouse the height of the judgment will determine how many you will fit around a pipe / caps. so draw up the pattern on a piece of paper first ... :idea:

I have decided to put me on 4.5-4.6 mm height with my low serrated pattern ( this a have in 4” 8” and 12” column but also relly Big singelcaps) and big single bubbelcaps as I can fit, so in next 4” column that am build now a have 63mm singel caps insted of 54mm before..

It is very important that the distillation plate is 100% in wave especially when you have 1pc big singelcaps ... and all slots are equal in height / steam release and make sure the entire plate relly/ Truly is 100% tight as in a bath when it works best ... solder everything ...!

But remember that this is my personal thoughts and opinions, everyone does that they want and believe in! :idea:
bild868.png

Cheers
harley

Postby Zombie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:56 am

I completely understand what you mean. If everything is not precise you will be chasing dragons if there is an issue.

One thing I am unclear on... You stated 5% of the column as the free space area of the caps. How did you arrive at 5%?
Being very new to column designs I have never heard or though of a ratio between column space, and plate free space. I have been working on the area of the plate percentages vs area of the column percentages.

I do understand the actions/reactions due to that ratio. I am simply curious how you came to use 5% as your base.

Zombie

Postby harley » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:39 am

We'll see if I have understood you correctly!
You say you want to have about 50% slots and 50% tray liquid on the plate!
So I thought also before ... now I seek a very fast vapor passage through the liquid in the pan and it'll look like a washing machine inside the column and greater steam output of to thereby get with me more flavor than the old way but I will even get some lower% of the product ..

5% of the column total volume should all slots (total / total steam output through all triangles) not be less than for otherwise you can get a build up of pressure, which in turn results in the need to increase returrörens diameter more than nögvändigt ...

This is what is needed and Found if you have small and many slots, but I do not know if the conditions change with fewer and larger slots so you could maybe go down to 4% now and is still working at max power ..
harley

Postby harley » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:48 am

[quote="harley"]We'll see if I have understood you correctly!
You say you want to have about 50% slots and 50% tray liquid on the plate!
So I thought also before ... now I seek a very fast vapor passage through the liquid on the pan and shall look like a washing machine inside the column and greater/bigger steam output/slots shall give me more flavor than the old way but I will also get some lower % of the product then a get from the "old way"

5% of the column total volume should all slots (total / total steam output through all triangles) not be less than for otherwise you can get a build up of pressure, which in turn results in the need to increase returnpipe diameter more than nessesary ... this is if you go for max power...

This is what is needed and Found if you have small and many slots, but I do not know if the conditions change with fewer and larger/much bigger slots so you could maybe go down to 4% now and it is still working at max power .. :confusion-confused: so this a must tested out for my self later...but i think that it should be possible to do this with bigger steam hole.... but a dont now yet..
harley

Postby Zombie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Ok. I do understand.
I have been working on 7-10% for Perf plates, The reason is to keep the plates loaded with pressure under the plate.
You are the first person using Bubble plates I have seen using these low numbers, and I wanted to understand why.

I assume this will slow your take off rate but in the return for extra flavor I can see why you are doing this.

I can not wait till you have this still running to verify your thoughts. Thank you for sharing your work.

Zombie

Postby harley » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:53 am

This is bubble caps ... not bubble plates = sieve plates ...

This is todays work and a hard solder everyting with pure copper for plumbing and for the pipe joints I will tig weld them with pure copper wire later.
b1.png

b2.png

b3.png
harley

Postby harley » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:54 am

b1.png

b2.png

b3.png
harley

Postby harley » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:55 am

b1.png

b2.png

b3.png

Cheers från Falköping
harley

Postby harley » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:01 am

Zombie wrote:Ok. I do understand.
I have been working on 7-10% for Perf plates, The reason is to keep the plates loaded with pressure under the plate.
You are the first person using Bubble plates I have seen using these low numbers, and I wanted to understand why.

I assume this will slow your take off rate but in the return for extra flavor I can see why you are doing this.

I can not wait till you have this still running to verify your thoughts. Thank you for sharing your work.

These 63mm single copper bubbelcaps in a 4 "column is intended to receive 5500watt as max input power in a 50-liter vessel and by 5-8% in the mash, we'll see later hut theory match practice when I should try .. .

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby myles » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:21 am

Zombie wrote:Ok. I do understand.

Zombie I may be wrong here - not the first time :lol:

Perforated plates 7% to 10% of the SURFACE AREA of the plate. This is partly to do with the pressure required to get the vapour to support the liquid so it wont drain out the holes. Perforated plates will work with fewer, big holes, provided everything else compensates and balance is maintained.

On the bubble cap plate, the liquid is retained as a fluid bath on the plate. It can't (usually) drain. The slots in the caps probably should still be a percentage of the SURFACE AREA of the plate. ie counting the free area outside the caps and excluding downcommers etc. This is a slightly different scenario from the perforated plates, so the %age can be different.

A lower total slot area will lead to faster vapour speed passing through the liquid bath, and more turbulence. Thinking rationally, slow, fizzing, tiny bubbles are more likely to result in a cleaner product, but bigger, faster, turbulent bubbles are more likely to carry flavour through.

I think!! ;-)
myles

Postby Zombie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:34 am

That is the way I take Harley's design, and comments.

I suppose I did confuse the issue by comparing plate percentage to column percentage.
Right now is not the time for me to do the math but I will figure how/what the open area of my plate idea relates to what Harley is doing in Column area.

I brought it all up because I have seen 50% of the plate area as the "standard" for bubblecaps. Perhaps in reality Harley is close to that number.

I'll keep this in mind for when I have a few free moments to figure it out for myself. I never thought I would say something like that... A few moments to do MATH? LOL!!!

Zombie

Postby harley » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:35 am

Then it's about time to tig weld together this little 4 "column No.2 entirely in copper that shall be a test Column!

That is seen as one uses what one has to support / repair bench to get a straight line to pick up the severed pipe / modules with 1st plate between them, and of course so is every other plate is rotated 180 degrees so the return pipes will alternately ...

b1.png

Since then, I use a clamp / jack to hold together "package" and since I will tig weld this so I attach not confuse it with gas welding and plumbing lood for it is as "black" afterwards ... but I will clip it on 3-4 points in each joint and then loosen the clamp and put it so I can roll the "package" when I tig welds so I am always on the top and tig ...

b2.png

This tig wire that is in Silicon Bronze is what I shall use me of when I will join these copper modules on the outside and I hope it works, will also serve and rejoining copper to stainless with ....

b3.png

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby Zombie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:27 am

Have my fingers crossed for you. My only experience with silicon/bronze is in Bolts to attach bronze strutts in marine applications.

It's a very tough metal. Much tougher than most would think. The best quality it has is a resistance to electrolysis, and corrosion.
It is an interesting choice for Tig welding.

Zombie

Postby harley » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:41 am

Thanks,

I get my inspiration/ idea from this guy , take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sp1BP29J4E

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby Zombie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:55 am

That was very interesting. I noticed something immediately... While he was welding the copper/mild/stainless I noticed he was NOT feathering the pedal or he was keeping a constant heat on the parts.
This practice causes more distortion to the metals.

Strangely enough he next went into pulse modules for the machine which does this automatically. I am really not the guy to teach this but I learned from a fella that is an expert. The way I was taught, and still weld today is to put on some music. Slow beats for thick metal, and fast beats for thin. You can time your pedal to the music, and get some beautiful welds with MUCH less distortion.

I'm not trying to tell Mr. Harley how to do what he does so verrrryyyy well.
I am attempting to help some of us Newbies that may be intimidated by Tig welding. Put on a good set of music, and enjoy the ride.

Zombie

Postby Zombie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Just had a light bulb moment. I've been putting off doing the numbers to see how all your percentages added up compared to what I am doing, and it lit up.

It's the same method. I just got confused in the translation... You are running 5% of the plate as open space the same as 5% of the column diameter. I got confused when I read Volume of the riser pipe, and I was thinking column volume.
Now I get it. Zombies may be slow but not completely stupid.

So you are looking for higher pressure to force smaller bubbles as Myles already tried to explain.
That's why I need a Girl Friend that can kick butt. It takes me a minute sometimes. In this case a few weeks. :clap: :clap:

Zombie

Postby harley » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:40 am

Mate came with press molds for the domed roof of my 8 "bubbelcaps today!

b1.png

Had a square 1.5 mm copper piece of metal next to me and of course, you had to try it!

b2.png

I note that you need to anneal the plate and then quickly cool it down so it becomes softer and more malleable before one presses the folded a little easy!

b3.png

25cm large round plates can I squeeze as maximum diameter and a center hole there through both parts so I also can center and squeeze small plates

Cheers från Sweden
harley

Postby Zombie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:14 pm

You're a mad man for sure. I too will be building some "dies" for making my down comer / weirs whenever I get around to it. Making a die for repeatable results is the only way to do certain things IMHO.

Lovin' it Harley. Just lovin' it.

Zombie

Postby harley » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:50 am

Zombie wrote:You're a mad man for sure. I too will be building some "dies" for making my down comer / weirs whenever I get around to it. Making a die for repeatable results is the only way to do certain things IMHO.

Lovin' it Harley. Just lovin' it.

Yeas a now that am "little" :roll: crasy becouse a relly like this to build and develop equipment to the max..

I am finnish ( i hope) with my sieve plates for maximum strengt (minimum Taste) together with maximun speed for Vodka and to get over 96% from 1pc destillation.

Now am try go get maximun Taste together with maximum speed and only 70-80% for Whisky and Rom...

I shall se later in practikal how good my teoretikal solutions is in praktik...

The more I work with copper, the more I like it and come up with new solutions all the time to get a better end result a hope ...

But i must also build a 8" coppercolumn that have 4pc 76mm copperpipe inside filled with 4,5x4,5mm SPP and about 1,25m hight to compare both taste and speed with my 8" 20pc sieve plates that are about 4,5 meter hight together with boiler, this shall be wery interesting....

If not then I re build it, or build a new copper column, no problem!

Cheers from Sweden.
harley

Postby Zombie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:46 am

Hopefully I will have a working Concentric column by the end of the year, and all the height issues will be over.

You bring up a good point in comparison. The only way to get more efficient is to have something to compare to. I guess getting Liquor out the end is a no brainier but consistently creating the same flavor is the craft.

Zombie

Postby harley » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:17 am

Zombie wrote:Hopefully I will have a working Concentric column by the end of the year, and all the height issues will be over.

You bring up a good point in comparison. The only way to get more efficient is to have something to compare to. I guess getting Liquor out the end is a no brainier but consistently creating the same flavor is the craft.

What kind of plates / sieve or single bubble caps or many small bubblecaps or fill material type SPP or pallet rings, will you have the column and what typoe of spirit shall you made and size of column!

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby Zombie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm planning 5 sieve plates at 10% hole area for the outer column. Each plate will have a 2" thick #6 stainless mesh packet above it. The idea of the packets is to control saturification or spray to the underside of the plate above.

The inner column is packed w/ 4" thick "crimped" packets of the same #6 stainless mesh along with an 18" section of copper mesh to act as the vapor inlet control section.

All told I will be working the equivalent of 20 plates in a 4" column. The total height is just over 7 feet including the boiler of approx 30" height. There is an outer column of 6" x 36"., and an inner column of 4" x 52". Seperate shotgun condensers for each, and the vapor from the outer column is fed into the base of the inner column.

It sounds nutz but I have done all the math, and the numbers say it will run. I learned most EVERYTHING about designing it right here.

The structured Packing ideas came from research done by one of the major suppliers to the petrol industry. All the work, numbers, and links are provided in the thread.

The intended product is Vodka/Neutral for Gin base. The entire idea developed because I have no place convenient to install an 18 foot tall column, and I have no desire to run multiple times to strip/purify

The entire thread is here.. Plated column within column design, and build
Last edited by JayD on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: cleaned up link

Zombie

Postby harley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:31 am

Seems to be an expensive and complicated construction that you should start to build!

Self, I have started to look at the pallet ring and found a 10x10x0,3mm pallet ring that I think might be appropriate in an 8 "x125cm high column with one of my super copper reflux condenser on top for vodka production and this whole package builds about 175cm including reflux condenser in pure copper + boiler height ...

125 cm with these 10x10 mm pallet ring should correspond about 20-25pc of theoretical plates, I hope ...,

Specification
D*H*δ Specific surface area
m2/m3 Num
n
m-3 Bulk Density
kg/m3 Void
ε
m3/m3
3/8" Φ10 xH10 x 0.3mm 482 768000 571 92.7

http://www.ceramic-honeycombs.com/metal ... acking.htm

This will be easy to back-flush from above and also to replace this massive copper column against one with 4pc single bubbelcaps copper column for flavored products ... a little IKEA thinking is the idea ..

Cheers from Sweden.
harley

Postby harley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:49 am

Now begins a 4 "4 plates copper column No.2 with 63mm single bubbel caps coming together slowly but surely.

har1.png

har2.png

har3.png

har4.png

Cheers från Sweden
Last edited by JayD on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: uploaded photo's to server.
harley

Postby Zombie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:43 am

That build is just so crazy cool. The picts are great.

I looked at Pall rings cause they are cool. Thought about it for awhile, and decided on Structured "packets" cause they are cooler.

That's my math...

Really though I like the idea of building each, and every piece. The structured packets will give a better result (more Theoretical plates) for less cost, and I like the cool factor.

You were right around 6 feet with the vodka column. That plus the boiler would have put me out of the game. I have 7 feet eight, and one half inches to deal with. I couldn't fit a single run neutral still of any sort. Least not in a four inch or larger diameter.

I think I have a good solution but like you said it is complicated, and pricy for a first of build.

It could never compare to everything you have going on there... For sure.

Zombie

Postby harley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:32 am

The cip head and drain is in this little 4" now it is time to fis my 2" sightglass

bild933.png

Cheers from Sweden
harley

Postby Zombie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:42 am

Loving it.

Zombie

Postby harley » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:08 am

Today's work with my little 4 "with 63mm single bubbelcaps is finished, ciphuvud, drainage pipes, sight glass and joint sleeves/ferrule are mounted

Now, the only swim a few days in citric acid and water, and in the meantime it will be the same equipment on my second little 4 "with 54mm single bubblecaps.

939bild.png

940bild.png

Cheers från Falköping
Last edited by JayD on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: all photo's uploaded to our server to preserve the future integrity of thread.
harley

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Columns