the modern distiller

Liquid management on a plate still

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

Liquid management on a plate still

Postby cain » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:05 am

Can anyone tell me why plate stills seem to be almost exclusively coolant managed?
Would there be a problem running plates with LM?
I'm new to this but aren't LM CM and VM all just different ways to achieve the same thing? That is the appropiate ratio of product collection to reflux down the column.
I'm thinking about building a modular boka head, shortish packed column and 4 plate column so both columns can be used for neutrals and just the plates when I want a bit more flavor to come through.
Also probably an empty column botanical Infusion basket for gin, I'm assuming I could just use the boka head and open the needle valve right up and it would be basically a pot still.
cain

Re: Liquid management on a plate still

Postby the Doctor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:33 pm

As this is your post please go over to the new members section and introduce yourself...welcome to the forum Cain
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby cain » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:45 pm

As this is your post please go over to the new members section and introduce yourself...welcome to the forum Cain

done

One reason I'm thinking LM over CM is my water pressure is real inconsistent but it also seems to me to be something I'm less likely to mess up.
cain

Postby emptyglass » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:52 am

You'll need to sort out your water pressure supply issues for any design of still, boka being probably the most sensitive. Theres not much wiggle room on any still design for inconsistent water pressure.

Good news is there are some relatively easy fixes
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby Maheel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:37 am

i was thinking as long as cain has more flow than needed all the time to use a VM or LM he is "safe"
if pressure can drop below that needed for full reflux all the time then you would be in trouble

whats causing the inconstant pressure flow ?
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby meatheadinc » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:51 pm

complete 2 (600x800).jpg

bokahead (600x800).jpg

I have a boka head under the RC of a plated still.
mostly used to bleed fores/heads on lower power.

The SS modular shotgun RCs don't offer enough reflux to operate the boka head efficiently, some success was achieved stacking 2 RCs together although a coil would be much more efficient.

like Maheel I believe that if you have sufficient flow through your coil to maintain full reflux at all times some water pressure variation will be tolerated by LM, and would be easier to maintain output when compare to a CM system with variable water pressure
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Who" is but the form following the function of "what", and what I am is a man behind a computer.
Everything happens for a reason, the reason is usually physics
meatheadinc

Postby bigfoot » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:05 pm

cain wrote:

done

One reason I'm thinking LM over CM is my water pressure is real inconsistent but it also seems to me to be something I'm less likely to mess up.

If you can get a water container of a few hundred litres - large wheelie bin or similar and a cheap pond pump - all your water supply issues would be resolved and you will be recycling water - win win :handgestures-thumbupright:
Bf
bigfoot

Return to Plated Columns