the modern distiller

My first spirit run

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

My first spirit run

Postby BrianP_69 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi guys.
After finally saving the money to get my 4 sight glass tees & reflux condenser, I've now turned my FSD Modular pot still into a 4 plate bubbler. After the vinegar cleaning run & sacrificial TPW run, it was time to finally run my 4 stripped Rum washes through the still. I put 28.5lts of low wines into the boiler & cranked her up with 4800W. Once at temp. I switched off the top 2400W element & loaded the plates under full reflux for 20 - 30 mins. I adjusted the RC until I achieved a toothpick size stream from the parrot & settled into the run. After the foreshots, I collected in 300ml jars for the whole run. The still sat at 95.6% for a little while but soon stabilized at 94% for the duration of the run. I underestimated the collection volume & had to shut down after collecting 30×300ml jars. After gathering up more jars that night, I cranked her up again on day 2, full reflux again for 20 - 30 mins & off we went again. After another 3 or 4 jars, the alcometer began to misbehave & my bottom sight glass was starting to fog. The abv was now at 92% & the onset of tails was here. At jar 40 & 90%, my second sight glass now fogging up, I shut her down & sacrificed the boiler contents. Jars were covered & aired for 24hrs & time for my first cutting lesson. I was pretty strict with my cuts & took from jar 11 to jar 30 as definite hearts. Deciding on what to blend from my heads & tails was the next hurdle. Tasting & smelling my way through saw jars 8 & 9 into hearts. 9 being predominately hearts & 8 more heads. The tails saw jars 31& 32 as desirable with jar 33 definite tails. These went into the hearts cut. So from that, I think only one jar of heads & one jar of tails into the mix. Temp corrected my abv was 90.7% & I'm pretty happy with that. I now have 8lts of 65% sitting on 80g of American oak & even as early as day 3, I am getting some lovely vanilla notes from the aging jars.I plan to leave it until June for a taste test. I'll air it weekly & see how it's travelling after the 3 month mark. Hopefully I haven't gone too far into my heads or tails & have to wait too long for consumption. I am amazed at how much flavour I am detecting with the high abv & 4 plates. The flavour is definitely there. Apologies for the long post but I'm a wee bit excited from my first ever spirit run.
Cheers
4" FSD bubbler
4 X SG Tees
50lt keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
50lt Braumeister all grain brewery
BrianP_69

Re: My first spirit run

Postby the Doctor » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:17 pm

Congratulations on getting your new baby fired up I love my FSD modular stills. They are capable of making world class spirits.
Cheers
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby BrianP_69 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Thanks Doc.
These rigs are insane & quality bits of gear. I can't wait to run it again. I still have around 1.5lt of 90.7% to water down & get on oak once I get hold of another aging container. I need to really focus on water recirculation as well. I saved a lot from my last run but my water management needs some work.
4" FSD bubbler
4 X SG Tees
BrianP_69

Postby BrianP_69 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:30 pm

Im after a little advice on expected collection volumes for a sinle pass over 4 plates for a 40L boiler charge.
My last 2 runs of rum collecting in 300ml jars after fores, 6 jars hovering at 94% then a drop to 93% & tails at around jar 7 or 8 & abv around 92%. Bottom sight glass starting to fog & after jar 10, strip it down to 20%. From my last run, I chose jars 1 & 2 as heads, 3,4,5 & 6 as hearts & tails ever so slightly at 7 onwards. Wanting just a hearts cut, I ended up with 1.2L @90% temp corrected so watered down to 65%, I ended up with 1.6L. This is a harsh cut though with absolute hearts only.
Recipe scaled up from 25L to 120L
14.8kg raw sugar
14.8L molasses
384g yeast
3/4 teaspoon epsom salts.
Anyone running rum single pass over 4 plates care to share what volumes you are getting from your bubbler.
4" FSD bubbler
4 X SG Tees
BrianP_69

Postby kimbodious » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:12 pm

Let's say your molasses has 35% sucrose, by my calcs, the amount of sucrose you provided say for a 25 litre wash equivalent would be 1.35(14.8/4.8) or roughly 4.1kg (raw sugar is a bit less than 100% sucrose). The ABV of your wash would have been pretty low.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS CCVM Reflux Column 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Return to Plated Columns