the modern distiller

Multi column

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

Multi column

Postby Googe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Hey all, been a while since I visited here!, need to more often!. I thoughts I'd posted this build here, but apparently not :confusion-shrug: . I built it a while back now, it's since been scraped and turned into different stills because I can't help myself lol.

first column was three single cap plates.
Second column was a packed section.
Third column was a shotgun condenser.
I would run at between 3.5~4+ lph on the first column and around 4.5~5 lph running both. With the 3/4" feed into the 4" column the run action was different to straight of a keg, more stable and could be run faster. The main reason behind it was to be able to set the three way valve to run just plates for rum, and set the valve another way and run both columns for neutral, which it did well. Only issues was the drains, think I made them to small and would have been ideal to have the go straight back into the base of the boiler instead of having traps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Googe

Re: Multi column

Postby Zombie Killer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:02 pm

running from the plate into the packed would there be any flow back too the first column that would be blocked by the valve ?
thats some thing you had there.
Texada went in and out of the news. Its association with" illegal intoxicants" dates back to 1928 when the biggest whisky still north of Vancouver was busted in romantic Pocahontas Bay. ZOMBIE KILLER....................
Zombie Killer

Postby JayD » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:55 pm

nice work Googe :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JayD

Postby Googe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:18 pm

That's usually the first question most ask zombie, there was no condensed distillate in the top of the valve when I disassembled straight after a run, but a residue, wether it was from running the plate section alone, or flow back, i cant say. There was never a liquid that came out when disassembling. Thanks jay.
Googe

Postby Zombie Killer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:27 am

Guess the heat at the valve and the pull from the cool air at the shotgun keeps things flowing the right way.
Texada went in and out of the news. Its association with" illegal intoxicants" dates back to 1928 when the biggest whisky still north of Vancouver was busted in romantic Pocahontas Bay. ZOMBIE KILLER....................
Zombie Killer

Postby bigfoot » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:53 pm

Wow. Why? Geez. But. Umm. Nice work!
bigfoot

Postby emptyglass » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:37 pm

You should make another one googe....
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby The Baker » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:21 pm

I would love to see a diagram of that, especially the drains which do not seem to show up well in the pix.
Sometimes I see pictures of commercial stills using more than one column; but a simple diagram would give me the knowledge to make alternative set-ups to the almost universal single tall column.
Thanks, googe, that is really helpful already.
Geoff
The Baker

Return to Plated Columns