the modern distiller

bubble build

For all the plate variations out there, bubblecap, valved, perforated etc.

bubble build

Postby Googe » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Hey all, attempting a bubbler. I'm following McStills idea of his bubble still with a few changes of my own. 3' column with 4' to 3' reducers for the bubble plate section. De fleg will be 150 long by 3', 10 1/2' inner tubes twisted to aid in reflux. From 3' de flag into 2' condenser at 450 long with 3 1/2' inner tubes. plate info will come.later on in the build. Sorry about the big pics. Have such trouble on this site with pics, really frustrating as it takes me half an hour just to.resize!!.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Googe

Re: bubble build

Postby Maheel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:04 pm

have those tubes been soldered in the bottom pic ? neat job if they have !!

if you use windows office pic manager it takes about 10 secs to do each pic click open pic wit wopm edit pic - resize - select large web and save
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby emptyglass » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Well done Googe, you'll be on your way to distilling bliss in no time.

I use MS paint for resizing. Its slow but it dosnt take half an hour, and it does a good job for free.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby Googe » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:02 am

thanks mate, Yeah, soldered Maheel, just sanded back. thanks for the link mini, works good into tablet. Thanks empty, dieing to run some rum though this :grin: . Ms paint and office manager doesn't work on my tab. All good.
Googe

Postby Googe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks mate, lol @ ribbed
Googe

Postby crow » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:14 am

googe wrote:thanks mate, Yeah, soldered Maheel, just sanded back. thanks for the link mini, works good into tablet. Thanks empty, dieing to run some rum though this :grin: . Ms paint and office manager doesn't work on my tab. All good.

had the same hass googe open a photo bucket account some good editing can be done there ;-)
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Postby Googe » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Had a go at making the plates today, bit of stuffing around but easier than drilling 50 million holes i gues :roll: . Have to finish them off yet with a cap and slots and pee trap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Googe

Postby MR-E » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 pm

I like how your making your own caps :grin:
MR-E

Postby harley » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:29 am

I can se that you get yours ide from OD,s Mk 2 with one big caps in middle of column.
I nowe that this is same ide that both Khotes and Carls are using but the have allso some "lips" out from the big caps so when you make "hole" for the steam to come out to the liquid bath, cut note away anything, but try to fold the tabs instead of removing them, you can always delete them later if not was to be the good.

Try to get as much space as possible for the steam to pass through, so there will be no restriction.

Cheers
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
We are also on Facebook under our name
harley

Postby Googe » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks Mr :-). I'm copying mcstills idea, don't know the other people you say?. I ll try find the people you mention using this sort of plate, always interested in new ideas. I'm not sure I follow what your saying sorry Harley?. Thanks.
Googe

Postby Maheel » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:59 am

googe wrote:Thanks Mr :-). I'm copying mcstills idea, don't know the other people you say?. I ll try find the people you mention using this sort of plate, always interested in new ideas. I'm not sure I follow what your saying sorry Harley?. Thanks.

OD is old dog ideas on his Mk2 bubble plate thing

kicks off here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=17952

not 100% sure but i think he kicked off one of the 1st ofthe "home built" bubble plate builds maybe the 1st but thats history now :)
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
Maheel

Postby harley » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:17 pm

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=20947

Here can you read som of OD,s Mk2 one big bubbelcap design and a can se that this issnt ”right” designed.
It is to little room for wapor to transfer to licuidbath in this big cap, it have a BIG restriction there.
It need to be BIGGER hole, more % for wapor to “go out to licuidbath” in this cap to work well.
If a shall doing this, a go for 100% free space under this bubbelcaps and with "lips" but that is me.... .
You can allso "Lift" bubbelcaps about 5-6mm, ore make a BIG saw pattern in cap bottom.

When I talk on the lips, so I mean that air bubbles have a longer way to go in alcohol bath on the plate before air bubbles can get out and go to the next upper plate, this "may" mean that you will get with you more flavor, this believe in anyway Kothe and Carls ... for they call their "lips" caps columns for Aroma plates bubbelcaps and they've also just one great piece bubbelcaps, but theres column is in 40-50cm big, NOTE 10cm.....

it,s al about flow..... Nothing is better than theres wekest-worst-smallest point...

See for yourself on your own image, you will see that you need to have the same mm3 that you have in yours pipe-tube in middle for wapor to go upp , you need to have same MM3, ALL THE WAY, even between bubbelcaps and tube and even in-between the plate and bubbelcapsen.

Same mm3 ALL THE WAY otherwise there is restrictors ...

I strive always to try to get everything as good as it only goes to get it, even if in some cases it may be a bit "premium".

Now we must be honest and say that OD has admitted the sieve plates are both more effective and easier to use, thinking that with 1pc bubbelcap not so successful in such a small column 4 "yet.
The most effective in such a small column is Properly designed Sieve Plates .... but am understand that it issnt easy to make so many small hole that it needs to be

Cheers
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
harley

Postby emptyglass » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:21 pm

googe wrote:Thanks Mr :-). I'm copying mcstills idea, don't know the other people you say?. I ll try find the people you mention using this sort of plate, always interested in new ideas. I'm not sure I follow what your saying sorry Harley?. Thanks.

Hey googe, you really should have a good look at OD's stuff. Worth the time. I copyied his stills, Mcstill copied his stills, Kentuckey shiner copyied his stills and owns a patent. Many others have made one off's based on his designs with minor or major mods.

What I most admire about his work is that although he took and simplifed designs of comercial stills, his designs are now being scaled back up for comercial distilleriers. Thats 8-)
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby harley » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:57 am

Go to vendome copper gallery, go to Enter photo gallery and then to the trays.
There you can see a lot of different trays for comerciella distilleries and also the number of holes in the sieve plates teaches evident if you look a little closer .... and also the distances between small bubbel caps .... and allso other typ of trays that shall do the same thing....

OD, s BIG hole in the Sieve plates are nothing like me who Comersiell distillery can recommend, you get to see what I mean after reading these two links provided in this thread earlier...

OD was first, then have a lot of different users contribution to this solution with Sieve plates have approached the same level as it has been from the beginning of the established manufacturers ....
http://www.vendomecopper.com/gallery.htm

http://www.vendomecopper.com/index.htm

Cheers
harley

Postby harley » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:29 am

I think this is also interesting, because the small number of bubble caps, need to have bigger - more returns are required.
but probably will give it more flavor transportation with a "just right" distance between bubbelcaps.

The question is "what is the right distance" between these small bubbelcaps .... :roll:

What I can see, it looks like they've picked the plate 100% full with bubbelcaps and then picked off about 50% .... :idea:

Cheers
harley

Postby Googe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks heaps for the info and the links harley, helps alot mate :grin: . Its a lot to take in atm though as im just starting out in this game and riding by the seat of my pants lol. Will be doing more reading from the info you gave me though, thanks. Yeah been reading the links harley gave me empty, never noticed OD's stuff, dunno how i missed it :? , theres some good info in them threads!!. Cheers
Googe

Postby Googe » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:11 am

Had to redo the rc due to massive leak probs, did the arm from rc to pc too.
Googe

Postby MR-E » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:20 am

Looking good :grin:
MR-E

Postby Googe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks mate
Googe

Postby Brendan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am

Good to see you having some success Googe!
Brendan

Postby Googe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Thanks mate.

Its all finished now, did a tpw through it, got 93% not temp corrected.
Googe

Postby Googe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Going to try a different deflag arrangement this weekend, not totally happy with the set up I have atm. Had the value on the top outlet originally, put another outlet at the base opposite the inlet. Hoping I might get better control like this. See what happens.
Googe

Postby emptyglass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:03 am

Hey Googe, you could try putting the supply to the bottom of the product condenser first, then run it to the reflux condenser.

Just a thought.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby Googe » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:16 am

that's how I've got it empty ;)
Googe

Postby emptyglass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Sorry googe, don't mind me.
I hope the mod works for you. Interesting...
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby Googe » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:04 am

It's ok empty, it's Easter and the kids are probably driving you nuts :lol: . Thanks mate, will give it a run tomorrow or Monday, interesting I noted yesterday how turbulent the water is going through the rc, when I had the valve closed off the water came out very disturbed, spraying all around so to speak, and when I.opened.the valve it was smooth as. Should cut down alot of cooling having it this way.
Googe

Postby 1 2many » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:07 pm

G'day googe nice bubbler mate and great work, i only just found this post :obscene-drinkingcheers:
1 2many

Postby Googe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks 12many :handgestures-thumbupright: , good to see you here to mate.
Doing 2 or 3 more modules with sight glasses to stick in amongst the reducer modules for a 5~6 Plater. these sight glass modules are alot easier than I thought :shock: , probably just jinxed myself :roll: .
Googe

Postby emptyglass » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Looks nice Googe.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby Googe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 pm

Thanks empty.
Googe

Postby Googe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 am

Giving this a go, will finish it this week and see what happens. All internal clamping has to be finished and tested yet, it's pretty much just two large washers clamping the sg to the flange.
Googe

Postby Holy Bear » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Whoa!!! :shock: :bow-blue: :shock: That's freeking awesome.

You could always say its just a deep water diving rig...
" Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" Patrick Henry, March 20, 1775
Holy Bear

Postby BareKnuckles » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Very nice indeed :obscene-drinkingcheers:

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby Philter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Top looking rig there googe, and nice craftsmanship as well!

That's a different approach I haven't seen for securing the sightglasses too - nice :text-coolphotos:
StillDragon Dash 2
Pda-1 Reflux
Swede's PWM / PID Controlled Boiler
50L Boiler
Philter

Postby Googe » Wed May 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks fellas, lol holy near. Just hope it seals ok on a run philter, seems to seal ok with water so far .
Googe

Postby Googe » Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm

All done, was a bit of a challenge but no leaks or breakages :grin: .
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Googe

Postby emptyglass » Sun May 05, 2013 1:07 am

Yeh dude, might have to change the privacy settings on you tube to "share with link".
:handgestures-thumbupright:
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby Googe » Mon May 06, 2013 12:54 am

Googe

Postby nvnovrts » Mon May 06, 2013 2:49 am

nice craftsmanship on that build, very clean very tight. Nice one!
nvnovrts

Postby harley » Mon May 06, 2013 6:52 am

Hi Googe

it looks relly good on yours plate :handgestures-thumbupright:

Cheers :obscene-drinkingcheers:
harley

Postby Googe » Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks fellas :handgestures-thumbupright:
Googe

Postby Maheel » Mon May 06, 2013 10:35 am

Hey Googe

can you post a pic or two of the sight glass cap thing taken apart please
and explain any tricky work you did

it's pretty cool looking :clap:
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
Maheel

Postby Googe » Mon May 06, 2013 10:53 am

Hey Maheel, there's no tricky business unfortunately lol. I just made up 2 copper washers out of plate and made the od of them the same as the id of the cap so it just slides over. Some small 1/8 bolts clamps it together. Very simple really but works well. Hope the pics help?. Just let me know and I'll put some more up at a later date when I pull it down.

Cheers
Googe

Postby Maheel » Mon May 06, 2013 11:07 am

ahhh i see said the blind man :)

i thought the cap was holding it on some how...

but thats very clever what you have done and looks great

thanks for the pics
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
Maheel

Postby Philter » Mon May 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Maheel wrote:i thought the cap was holding it on some how...

Same here Maheel, and the cap is a great idea googe - well done!
StillDragon Dash 2
Pda-1 Reflux
Swede's PWM / PID Controlled Boiler
50L Boiler
Philter

Postby Googe » Mon May 06, 2013 11:46 pm

Got to keep the suspense going lol. Thanks fellas.
Googe

Postby emptyglass » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Any news?
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby Googe » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Nothing exciting empty, just been makin rum.
Googe

Postby Googe » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Ok, you got me fired up again empty dam you :lol: . I have to try this cause I won't leave it alone till I do. I've made another module, so now it can be 5 plates, got 4 plates made just need one more, but. With the packed section, I just realised that the way I have my still setup with the deflag I have one plate straight under the deflag when running it as a 3 Plater. With the extra module plus the packed section it's 5 plates, plus I can put one between the deflag and the packed section making it 6 plates, should I bother putting that one in?, how would it perform like that?. Thanks for any advice.
Googe

Postby Googe » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:46 pm

That's a really crap photo!.
Googe

Next

Return to Plated Columns