the modern distiller

Element Guard Kit Question

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Element Guard Kit Question

Postby telemang » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi there - i recently purchased the element guard kit. I got everything all wired up and ready to go but the element itself is not screwing in securely to the conversion plate. I left the element gasket in place (my leak isnt coming from there) and it appears that only a few threads are catching before it won't budge any further (leaving lots of bare threads exposed). I even purchased a new element thinking my threads could be gunked up from my last setup... but still no go. I think the threads are slightly too small or something? Nothing is getting crossthreaded or anything like that... so that is the only thing i can come up with. I tried everything i could think of... did i get a bum one or am i missing something? Anyone else run into this?? Any advice on fixing this issue?? I just emailed stilldragon so hopefully they will have an answer soon...but I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue and/or if i was doing something wrong??

Thanks!
TM
telemang

Re: Element Guard Kit Question

Postby telemang » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 pm

I bought one of those but it doesn't fit into the housing. My last setup it worked fine tightening by hand... but i just can't get this puppy to go more than a few threads
telemang

Postby telemang » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 pm

I even put an extra gasket on there but there are still bare threads showing when screwed in ridiculously hard by hand
telemang

Postby telemang » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Located in the US - using a 1500 watt 120 volt element. I had this http://www.hillbillystills.com/Heating_ ... p/hecp.htm and it fits in there perfectly. I ordered the stilldragon one just to make things a bit cleaner...
telemang

Postby telemang » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Larry seems to think i got a bum part - he is taking care of me - good people at stilldragon. Thanks Larry!
telemang

Postby Mooqu » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 pm

telemang wrote:I bought one of those but it doesn't fit into the housing. My last setup it worked fine tightening by hand... but i just can't get this puppy to go more than a few threads

I had the same problem. I just ground off the edges of the tool to make it fit.
MooQu
Mooqu

Postby telemang » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:37 am

punkin wrote:Taht will be the difference tween bsp and npt.

They will sometimes work by tightening hard, but not always.

We have problems with China trying to explain the difference, if i get NPT, sometimes none of my elements fit without retapping and vice versa with US parts.

It's hard to get the right medium on such a small scale as we are at the moment. :oops:

Ahh! That makes a lot of sense... maybe if i get another one that doesn't fit i could just look for an element with the other type of threads?? Would i most likely have bsp or npt?? I don't really have the tools and/or know-how to try to grind down threads.
telemang

Postby acfixer69 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:46 am

punkin wrote:Taht will be the difference tween bsp and npt.

They will sometimes work by tightening hard, but not always.

We have problems with China trying to explain the difference, if i get NPT, sometimes none of my elements fit without retapping and vice versa with US parts.

It's hard to get the right medium on such a small scale as we are at the moment. :oops:

Also heating elements is the US are 1" NPS and will sometimes fit NPT and sometimes not. Teflon tape helps but I feel butter retapping to NPS.
AC
acfixer69

Postby telemang » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 am

punkin wrote:I don't know what country you are in mate or what the thread standards are in other countries.

I'll get together and have a chat with Smaug and see what we can work out. 8-)

I am in the US... thanks again for all the help guys. Great customer service at SD...
telemang

Postby revansCAAD8 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:23 am

I'm in the US and about to order the Element Guard Kit and/or Adapter. Hope I don't run into the same issue. Where did you purchase the element from (HD/Lowes,etc)? Please let us know if you get this resolved. Also, does SD sell an Element Socket/Wrench?

Robert
revansCAAD8

Postby Hawk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:00 am

the wrench is 7 bucks at lowes. Im going to just take my element and mount into the store and put it on there. Save 7 bucks.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby telemang » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:43 am

FYI - the replacement that Larry sent fits much better. Didn't even need to struggle to get it in.

Thanks again Larry!
telemang

Postby revansCAAD8 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:59 pm

AWESOME glad to hear! Hope mine is hear tomorrow (fingers crossed),

Robert
revansCAAD8

Return to bubble cap users group