the modern distiller

Output of Dragon's 6" Tower

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Output of Dragon's 6" Tower

Postby Jim J » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:06 pm

I am in the process of opening a distillery in the St. Louis Missouri area, and I am hoping someone can tell me what the output of Dragon's 6" still is. We have tested a 4 plate 4" copper tower and we are getting just over 1 gallon and hour at 180. We are looking at running 55 and 100 gallon boilers, and hoping to determine the anticipated time for a run.
Jim J

Re: Output of Dragon's 6" Tower

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Who's column did you test? One that you produced yourself or one that was purchased?
FullySilenced

Postby Jim J » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:17 pm

I built the 4" copper tower that we are working with. It has 4 plates (with holes, no bubble caps) and a 1/2 inch downcomer to maintain column pressure. The column length from boiler to defleg is approximately 34 inches.

Never used a bubble cap system, and wondering how effective they run before making a purchase. If the work like we hope.......... we intend to start with one 4" and one 6".
Jim J

Postby harley » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:31 am

Hey Jim J
My name Is Patrick on Falbygdens Bränneri Ab and am a licence-legally distiller in Sweden.
I shall try to answere yours thinking so god that a can!
If you can get out 2 gallon from a SD bubbel in 4" than you can get out 5 gallon with a 6" and 8 gallon with a 8"
if you can get out 1 gallon from a SD bubbel in 4" than you can get out 2,5 gallon with a 6" and 4 gallon from a 8"

It,s all about plate area... if you have power and right size of boiler... :idea:

55 gallon is almost same as 208 liter. Here a go for at least 6” column ( personally a have 8” on this size of boilers)

100 gallon is almost same as 378 liter. Here a go for at least 8” and if you are going for bubbelcaps then it is more easy to run and it don’t need so much power to work, and if you are going for Sieve plates than you need about 1440pc of 1,5mm hole-28mm return with cup” in air” and 12 000-16 000watt power in some” note-isolated “boiler to gets out 12-20 liter per hour, if you have less power than this, this issnt work, but bubbelcaps still work even with to little power….

Sieve plates is wery good but they must be right in construction and they need some-lot of power to work well…
If you have done yours 4” in Sieve plates “right” with 1,5mm hole in 4mm square pattern of wet active surface area.
Nothing more on this plate than 12-16mm return pipe and with cups in air….
So the hole 4” plate is active, and 100% tight to column wall then you shall gets out at lot of more product than 1 gallon that you have today…..up to 2 time maybe….

What type of sprit are shall you be doing, whisky-tasted sprit ore vodka, this is a BIG differens in equipments, and are you thinking to destilling it 1pc ore 2pc time….. and hove much power have you acces to, this is relly important…..

Small Quick Reference Guide for choosing the right column to the right boiler size.
This calculation is based on the 4 "column is Optimum to 50-100 liters bolier

4 "has a plate surface of 31 400mm3 and is appropriate for about 50 -100liter boiler
6 'has a plate surface of 70 650mm3 and should be suitable to 100-300 liter boiler
8 "has a plate surface of 125 600mm3 and should be suitable to 200-400 liters bolier
10 "has a plate surface of 196 349mm3 and should be suitable for a 300-600 liter boiler
12 "has a plate surface of 282 743mm3 and should be suitable for a 450-900 liter boiler

This is just ROUGH guidelines and it should be the same whether it's Sieve plates or Bubble Plates

In sieve design so everything must sue stuck in bubble design then you can have a magnification column to a smaller bolier and it works even if it is fed with less power than it is designed to receive, etc. ...

We must not forget that it is the Activa flat surface that determines the distillation rate, regardless of boiler size ...

Some say a 4 " column can be used up to 200 liters, it probably can that also! but the question is whether this is optimal, if the column can receive all the steam that this mass gives the full effect eliminator.
It's all about how long time that distillation may take and how much power that are available.
Time is money but that is available power allso

Cheers
Last edited by harley on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
We are also on Facebook under our name
harley

Postby harley » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:02 am

Hello Smaug
I think That this is a really good honestly answere, 1 liter per caps and hour when it tastes good and you can both go past that reduce this amount ...

In this case, this would involve:
in a 4 "with 4-5pc bubbelcaps 4-5 liters per hour
in a 6 "with 10pc bubbelcaps 10 liters per hour
in an 8 "with 17pc bubbelcaps 17 liters per hour

This is almost certainly honest liters and the amount of alcohol can both be more or less depending on the power and preferences ...

The biggest problem is that everyone is looking at the price tag instead of colon size-bolier size and then it has a tendency to be a little too small column for size of the boiler, and then when they want to increase on-trade up when not enough column to the next larger boiler size :idea:

When using the bubble caps, then you can have a size too large column without creating any problems for more than a one-time cost - the purchase .... and then you can also use the same column when upgrading to a larger boiler size, this can not be done with sieve plates, but they are more or customized for a particular boiler and power to run 100% and with a 100% right dimensied Sieve plate for vodka, nothing can bet this in % and liter per hours....but for tasted alcohol a 100% go fore bubbelcaps, and am from Sweden, land of vodka.....

Cheers
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
harley

Postby Jim J » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 am

WOW..... thanks for the reply, I got more than I was hoping for. The 4" rig I made with sieve plates works perfectly, but I have to be honest, it was a trial build and I just got lucky. Looking forward to hearing back from SD, we are planning on purchasing a 300L boiler and 6", 6 plate tower.
Jim J

Postby harley » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:54 am

Hello Jim J
Something that you can think of when using an SD bubbelcaps column ( it,s easy modular) is that for every down comers - return That You DONT need so you can replace it quickly and easily with 1pc bubbelcaps and get abot 1 liter more product per hour.
This is something that has great meaning to us comerciella, because we count all the time on money in and money out ...

Now there's a limit to how little - small number of down comers - returns you can have, and this depends on how much power you use and how hard you reflux, but you learn to notice and can easily fix by either increasing the number of returns or reduce the number of returns.

What I want to say with this is that feel free to order a few extra bubbelcaps and also returns-down comers so you can find the optimum for your type of usage and in this way optimize your product eliminator against your power and the way you use your facility as the really is as optimal as we possibly can to get it.

Cheers
harley

Return to bubble cap users group