the modern distiller

Big Baby

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Big Baby

Postby Hawk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Just waiting for the Dragon Stork to drop off the box with other goodies!

Most of you Hybrid Dragon Users out there know of the 2 inch Dephlag. I stopped packing mine and accepted that I would loose a little on the front end to heads but I can run 3 plates with or with out a packed column for flavored or neutral spirits. Well, Fester did it! We have the Big Baby now and I have one on order soon to be here to run on my Hybrid. I will let you all know how it goes. I have a Rum waiting for its arrival and its maiden voyage. From what I understand it is the same as the little baby but almost twice as long. Here's to Lloyd and Larry making my tower way better than I had imagined! With exception to a plate or three more over time all I want now is a Gin setup after R&D are done.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Re: Big Baby

Postby BareKnuckles » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Damnit hawk!!!!!! :evil: Your killing me!
BareKnuckles

Postby Hawk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Well the Big Baby is here along with other parts like a heat element guard and the basic digital control for the new boiler. I have some work to do getting the new boiler together before I use it but the big baby will get the maiden voyage tomorrow. Here are a couple pics. one of them compares the Little baby and the big baby. I will note that the big baby is as tall as a T section of the Dash system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby FullySilenced » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 pm

OOOH so big and shiney.. Make some turbulators for it and let er rip have fun
FullySilenced

Postby TheGekko77 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Hawk...If that boiler is what I think it is, I have the same kind arriving tomorrow! You mention a digital controller. What kind did you get? I am looking for one myself.
Thanks
TG77

HawkingRage wrote:Well the Big Baby is here along with other parts like a heat element guard and the basic digital control for the new boiler. I have some work to do getting the new boiler together before I use it but the big baby will get the maiden voyage tomorrow. Here are a couple pics. one of them compares the Little baby and the big baby. I will note that the big baby is as tall as a T section of the Dash system.
TheGekko77

Postby BareKnuckles » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Very nice Hawk....
BareKnuckles

Postby the Doctor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Your set up is looking excellent Mr Hawk...love it mate.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby Hawk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:21 pm

TheGekko77 wrote:Hawk...If that boiler is what I think it is, I have the same kind arriving tomorrow! You mention a digital controller. What kind did you get? I am looking for one myself.
Thanks
TG77

HawkingRage wrote:Well the Big Baby is here along with other parts like a heat element guard and the basic digital control for the new boiler. I have some work to do getting the new boiler together before I use it but the big baby will get the maiden voyage tomorrow. Here are a couple pics. one of them compares the Little baby and the big baby. I will note that the big baby is as tall as a T section of the Dash system.

Still Dragon Basic Digital controler. The boiler works good. But like the tower that came with it I had to upgrade. Ill miss the boiler but I need more room as this SD tower makes quick work of this small boiler

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:22 pm

FullySilenced wrote:OOOH so big and shiney.. Make some turbulators for it and let er rip have fun

Turbulator? Please explain, Im interested.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Prairiepiss » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Your kit is coming along quite nicely Hawk. All nice and shiny. Makes mine look like an old beat up old copper hobo. But then again its looked like that since the day I built it. :lol:

You get that new boiler and controller going. It will be the difference between night and day. And you will wonder WTH didn't you do it sooner. :mrgreen:
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby Prairiepiss » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:47 pm

And that's what it looks like. Hell that's what it was made from.
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby Monty » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 am

A turbulator

8281.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monty

Postby BareKnuckles » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:29 am

This is a great thread... I can't wait to get some brown boxes in the mail!

Starting to get excited! Your rig is coming along awesomely there Hawk!

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby Hawk » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Running a double batch tonight with the new big baby. HUGE DIFFERENCE! I actually stop more with out scrubbies than with the little baby fully packed. My fores where compressed to the tilt and heads as well. Roth the little baby I run almost at full reflux the whole time to keep all plates full at 1500w. With the big baby I'm turning it way down and still out performing the little baby with full plates and pulling a full flavor UJ at 93%.

Been a while since I could do my fores a drop a second. This big baby slowed me to a drop every 3-4 seconds with no packing at 1500w. Im thinking as soon as i get my new boiler up and running i should be able to achieve Total reflux with this tower now that i have power control. Excellent change of pace. Thank you Fester, miss Tan and Larry! Seems I do something to make a smile on my face every time I look at my Dragon.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Monty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:15 am

My Baby deflag was able to knock down 100% reflux at 2200 watts over a single 4" plate. I was pretty impressed with that.
Monty

Postby Hawk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:43 am

Monty wrote:My Baby deflag was able to knock down 100% reflux at 2200 watts over a single 4" plate. I was pretty impressed with that.

Your turbulator must work Damn good. Maybe Ill make one but the big baby knocks down the vapor much better than the little one. I think Im happy the way it is but I may just make one just in case.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby telemang » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 am

Fester wrote:I'm happy it was well received by you, HawkingRage. I've added a limited supply of them in case others want one.
We'll see over the next few months if the big baby is a success and if the baby dephlem is discontinued or visa versa.
Only have room on the shelf for one.

I plan on ordering a big baby (if availible) as soon as my tax return comes in. Need... more... reflux...
telemang

Postby FullySilenced » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:43 am

HR take a little scrap copper and layout a t make the long section a 1/16 smaller than the tubes in your big baby....

cut it out, clamp it in a vise on one end vice grip locking pliers on the other end, then twist it... I made this one with three twists you can twist it more or less depending on your needs...

slide it in the deflagmator from the top and cut it to legnth... the t on top keeps it from falling through

turbulator in a minute per tube... not a big deal... works like a friggin charm... 8-)

******put as much tension as you can on the copper as you put the twists in it the greater the tension the smoother and prettier the twists are...*******

I made this sample just so you could get the idea/concept... this one fits nothing
FullySilenced

Postby Hawk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:56 am

This is awesome and maybe less time consuming. Ill get a set made up ASAP and try it out.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby telemang » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:53 am

A couple questions about the big baby before i make up my mind totally.

Would this puppy be too large if i were to run just one plate followed by a pot still or could i simply turn down the water flow to keep things in check? I know i could get away with the smaller one for using just one plate... but i am hoping to upgrade as i go to eventually get something along the lines of HRs setup (big baby sounds far nicer once a couple more plates enter the equation).

Also, what sort of US $ point are we talking about with this? About double the baby i am guessing??

Also also, HR, is that just the regular shotgun condenser in your setup or do you have the longer one? It looks like the regular one... but i could be wrong. If it is the regular one do you wish you went with the longer one or does that one do the job sufficiently??

Thanks!
TM
telemang

Postby Hawk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:02 am

telemang wrote:A couple questions about the big baby before i make up my mind totally.

Would this puppy be too large if i were to run just one plate followed by a pot still or could i simply turn down the water flow to keep things in check? I know i could get away with the smaller one for using just one plate... but i am hoping to upgrade as i go to eventually get something along the lines of HRs setup (big baby sounds far nicer once a couple more plates enter the equation).

Also, what sort of US $ point are we talking about with this? About double the baby i am guessing??

Also also, HR, is that just the regular shotgun condenser in your setup or do you have the longer one? It looks like the regular one... but i could be wrong. If it is the regular one do you wish you went with the longer one or does that one do the job sufficiently??

Thanks!
TM

The big baby will let vapor by just as well as the little baby. You just have to turn your cooling water flow down. It is better by far at knocking down the vapor for stacking.

The product condenser is the normal one. It seems to work just fine. Nothing but liquid gets by it.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Return to bubble cap users group