the modern distiller

8 plates vs. 6 plates

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

8 plates vs. 6 plates

Postby Jung4g » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 pm

I've got the last shipment of goodies on the way for my Dash 2 to be functional as a 6 plate setup. In preparation for it, I welded up a new boiler from a keg that has a 4" ferrule so I don't have to use a 2"-->4" reducer from the normal keg ferrule. This shaved a touch of height and after setting it up to take a look, I took some measurements and realized I could fit 2 more plates in with the headroom I currently have.

Now I know there are diminishing returns for adding more plates, but my logic seems to point to being able to run the still a bit harder for more output at the same ABV if I have more plates setup. Would that be true? Am I missing something?

After seeing (and tasting) a 21 plate CARL still running a batch of neutral through the 2nd time over, I'm just curious why we would stop at 6 if there are gains to be had.
Jung4g

Re: 8 plates vs. 6 plates

Postby the Doctor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Jung it can go either way...I currently run 6 plates with a 500mm 4inch wide section which is packed with stainless scrubbers... I recently added a 500 mm 4 inch scoria packed section as well and found it very hard to achieve balance... I recommend 6 plates...then if you have room, 500mm packed with stainless scrubbers, this is cheap and very effective. I am happy with this set up and have had great results. The 500 mm pipe is cheaper than 2 extra plates and is a good stepping stone...I will probably in time add more plates...but this is a cost effective way to get extra reflux in the interim. Take care.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby harley » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 pm

I wonder how the outcome would be if you drove with your hybrid solution and with LM head, do you have any LM head to sell in 4 ".

Just a thought :idea:
Cheers
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
We are also on Facebook under our name
harley

Postby Jung4g » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks all.

I like the idea of a hybrid over like Doc's over buying more and more plates (where to stop).
It seems the 6 tube dephlag I made would offer decent distribution of reflux through the packing.

I'll add the 500mm section to the list for near future purchases and get some wash rolling.
Jung4g

Postby troglodyte » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Jung4g wrote: Now I know there are diminishing returns for adding more plates, but my logic seems to point to being able to run the still a bit harder for more output at the same ABV if I have more plates setup. Would that be true? Am I missing something?

What your missing is some simple stuff that ( from what I see ) is overlooked by possibly all users of the S/D bubble plates.you don't need to use any more than three plates, four at the most if your chasing flavor.
I pointed out that the S/D risers were not optimized, the vapor holes were not large enough to cope with high power which helped with maintaining high abv with high collection rates, I believe all risers now come with the increased vapor holes.

The same can be said for the S/D bubble caps, not optimized. There is improvement to be had in better heads compression, higher quality product even at high collection rates while holding tails back. get experimenting and you might be pleasantly surprised what you discover 8-)
troglodyte

Postby harley » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:15 am

Hi Troglodyte,

I agree with you that the 3pc bubble plates is optimal if chasing maximum flavor, myself, I will use about 30-37pc of Sd bubbelcaps and offcourse in a 12 "copper column and with just 3pc plates for maximum flavor exchange when I burn whiskey, but I will have a a lot more distance between them, than Sd have in theirs columns, about 2.5-3cm so you get the maximum flavor exchange ....

When I burn vodka then it is 20pc sieve plates in 8 "relating to access to or over 95% on a distillation and from 6-8% barley mash ...

Bubelplates in 20 plates and the same strength of mash cope only up for about 92-93%, that I know of practical experience from other Swedish distilleries that running bubble caps, but then just 1pc giant bubbelcaps, not lots of small bubbelcaps so a relly dont now if a lots of small bubbelcaps is better than 1pc big....

I'm really curious as to What Improvements you recommend to get more flavor, the effect, you have already solved for Sd people when you removed the restriction which was built in the original bubbelcaps that only have 3mm hole now it is at least 4mm a have 4,2mm in all mine ..

Personally, I think that the distance between these small bubble caps must be at least 2.5-3cm for best flavor transportation, but I'm not sure if there will be any benefit to raise the liquid level on the plate, when as in my case has so many small bubbelcaps ... what do you think about this ...

I have also thought about fixing a saw patterns in the bottom of caps same as vendome copper have on their bubble caps and even Khote on his lonely giant bubble caps and Khote calls his saw patterns Aroma designs ....

I would be very grateful if you would share what you've come up with and feel free to email me your suggestions for improvements and if so, I promise to 100% to keep this to myself ....
My mail is : patrick-malmehag@hotmail.se

Cheers :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
harley

Postby harley » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:12 am

troglodyte wrote:
Jung4g wrote: Now I know there are diminishing returns for adding more plates, but my logic seems to point to being able to run the still a bit harder for more output at the same ABV if I have more plates setup. Would that be true? Am I missing something?

What your missing is some simple stuff that ( from what I see ) is overlooked by possibly all users of the S/D bubble plates.you don't need to use any more than three plates, four at the most if your chasing flavor.
I pointed out that the S/D risers were not optimized, the vapor holes were not large enough to cope with high power which helped with maintaining high abv with high collection rates, I believe all risers now come with the increased vapor holes.

The same can be said for the S/D bubble caps, not optimized. There is improvement to be had in better heads compression, higher quality product even at high collection rates while holding tails back. get experimenting and you might be pleasantly surprised what you discover 8-)

Thanks

Cheers :obscene-drinkingcheers:
harley

Return to bubble cap users group