the modern distiller


Hubble bubble toil and trouble


Postby telemang » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:07 am

I am trying to figure out how to fashion a thermo-well when i build up my reflux tower. Has anyone done this with stilldragon parts? Any pointers?? Hoping to get away without having to have something welded...
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Thermo-well?

Postby Philter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:39 pm

punkin wrote:These would be perfect for thermowells. other than that we have ported 2" bends in development, but seem to be having a little trouble getting them right.

These have the threads one at each end...

If these had a 3/4" x 19mm ferrule, you can simply drill out, and tap an endcap to suit your thermowell/thermocouple. I had trouble tapping a 3/4" endcap as I bought a cheap set of taps, so had to weld a nut to the end cap. :twisted:
StillDragon Dash 2
Pda-1 Reflux
Swede's PWM / PID Controlled Boiler
50L Boiler
User avatar
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Tas

Re: Thermo-well?

Postby myles » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:08 am

If you are using either a reducer or one of the short pipe extensions you could always use a bulkhead compression fitting. Just drill a hole (3/8" for example) through the wall of the reducer and insert a small compression fitting. With a copper washer on both sides of the stainless fitting and a bit of brute force you could have a no weld solution. Then replace the compression olive with a suitable ptfe bung and you are good to go.

Alternatively you could always drop a LONG thermowell straight through your reflux condenser all the way from the top,if your reflux column has the configuration that would let you do that.

Re: Thermo-well?

Postby chill » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Not sure this is what you are looking for, but HawkingRage had a brilliant low-tech idea:
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:10 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada

Re: Thermo-well?

Postby jake_leg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:28 pm

blingy stainless

cheap & cheerful ... 41#p339227

Also ebay sells dirt cheap "waterproof probes" typically with thermistors or DS18B20s inside what looks like a 50mm x 6mm closed end stainless tube, that's to say 2" x 1/4" in Burmese or Liberian units.
User avatar
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 am
Location: left a bit.. up a bit...

Return to bubble cap users group

  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest