the modern distiller

water hose - what material?

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

water hose - what material?

Postby jake_leg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:02 am

The blue and red stuff that goes in the push fit connectors, what's it made of. Thanks.
jake_leg

Re: water hose - what material?

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:08 am

I use a water hose designed for drinking water (food grade) which I bought from a camping & caravan shop. but to be honest I just used a normal garden hose for my first 10 years and am still alive, so maybe have a look at what you can buy locally in food grade, when you can afford one go that way...In the mean time I don't think that the short contact time with your garden hose will have too much ill effect especially if you are just using it to fill water which is subsequently boiled and distilled....Just my thoughts. Others may have more knowledge of any ill effects.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby jake_leg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:42 am

the Doctor wrote:I use a water hose designed for drinking water (food grade) which I bought from a camping & caravan shop. but to be honest I just used a normal garden hose for my first 10 years and am still alive, so maybe have a look at what you can buy locally in food grade, when you can afford one go that way...In the mean time I don't think that the short contact time with your garden hose will have too much ill effect especially if you are just using it to fill water which is subsequently boiled and distilled....Just my thoughts. Others may have more knowledge of any ill effects.
Doc

Thanks Doc. I was asking specifically about the StillDragon hose. It kind of looks like silicone heater hose but I wanted to check.

I filled up my boiler with water from the garden hose for a while before I knew any better. The fittings were leaded brass and the hose was not food grade but I am sure I will live. Currently I have a "Neverkink Marine and RV" hose for my water intake which is food safe. I also have some hot water dairy hose which is food grade EPDM for hot liquid transfer.
jake_leg

Postby crozdog » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:57 am

jake_leg wrote:The blue and red stuff that goes in the push fit connectors, what's it made of. Thanks.

I think it is "PU" ie polyurethane
crozdog

Postby Hawk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 am

It is Pex Tubing. here is a link to info on what Pex is made of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-linked_polyethylene
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby jake_leg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am

PEX, OK thanks that's good to know. Good for hot water then but not steam. Actually I didn't know you could get flexible PEX.
jake_leg

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm

My apologies Jake ...I thought that you were referring to the hose you were using to fill the boiler...my bad ...sorry. :angry-banghead:
Doc
the Doctor

Postby jake_leg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:34 pm

No problem Doc :handgestures-thumbupright:
jake_leg

Postby Philter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm

I had to get some in a hurry, and just used compressed air hose from my local hose & handling shop. It's not very flexible material and wasn't cheap.
StillDragon Dash 2
Pda-1 Reflux
Swede's PWM / PID Controlled Boiler
50L Boiler
Philter

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:00 pm

I also know it as John Guest 12mm
Doc
the Doctor

Postby jake_leg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 am

Just wanted to know what kind of temperatures they can stand up to. Very quick google search indicates polyurethane is good for hot water up to 175 oF / 80 oC, or are these higher spec. Thanks.
jake_leg

Postby Monty » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:07 am

It holds up much better than the vinyl tubing I've used for my condenser input.
Monty

Postby jake_leg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 am

Fester wrote:
jake_leg wrote:Just wanted to know what kind of temperatures they can stand up to. Very quick google search indicates polyurethane is good for hot water up to 175 oF / 80 oC, or are these higher spec. Thanks.

OK, fine... I'm not going into under-rating and such. Just saying after countless runs I've never had a problem.
If you feel nervous, Jake, please do not use my products.

Find something better and let me know and I'll gladly offer it to other distillers. Till then this is what we have.

Fester, I'm sure it's a great product and fine for the purpose you sell it for. I have no wish to undermine or impugn your products in any way. In my defence, it is pretty normal for hoses sold for hot water use to give a temperature rating.

Thanks Monty, holds up better than vinyl is mainly what I wanted to hear.
jake_leg

Postby the Doctor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 am

Jake I do a run off my condenser to two heat exchangers for a hydronic heater. which are under my desk in winter to heat my station...I now run my 120 litre stripper at around 12000 watts with a double long condenser... the exit water is very hot, I have had no issues with heat distortion or otherwise using the SD tubing, it seems more than robust enough for the job. With the added bonus of toasty feet in winter.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby jake_leg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:16 am

That's good to know, Doc.

The alternative that I had in mind was automotive or marine heater hose which is generally EPDM and cheaper than silicone.
jake_leg

Postby lokibrew » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 pm

No minion here.. Not even sure i'll ever buy a full dragon setup, I like building and tinkering myself.. a big part of the fun.

+1 in favor of more details ( dimensions, specification, instructions, howTo's ) on the StillDragon site. Material and heat rating of cooling lines being one specific example.

+1 for Smaug, Punkin, and Fester for great service and attitude... sorry to see you guys get testy when you are being beat down.
What? I have no signature? I'll fix that right away! :techie-computer:
lokibrew

Postby mort4 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:55 am

The SD hose and fitting system is really neat,at least compared to the hose barb and clamps I've been using.Simple and leak-free. :grin:
mort4

Postby myles » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:09 pm

I know I am not really eligible for this group, but I have been using MDPE hose for my lines. Black 16mm supply hoses but they are semi rigid.

I had thought of using 12" long braided stainless steel sections for the junction onto the condensers for a bit of flexibility, but it might actually be less expensive to use platinum cured silicon. The pre made braided stainless hoses are not cheap. I suppose you could use the red and blue hoses for things like dishwashers and washing machines.

Off course you can get anodised braided hoses from the custom auto suppliers, but you will probably end up with all sorts of performance tweaks for your daily transport before you get out the door.

:smile: Yes dear I really DID need to buy one of these to get to work!!
1194_10.jpg

(Oh I wish!!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
myles

Postby thatguy142 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:54 am

While we're at it, is it possible that someone can draw me or point me to a diagram explaining how the hoses all fit together and how the cooling system works? I finally have a boiler ready to go but every picture/video I watch doesn't really go into depth on how everything connects up. It may be trivial, but I'm definitely trying to learn as much as I can before I get started. If there's a link to this somewhere, that would be great too. I couldn't find one in my search. Thanks, everyone.
thatguy142

Postby DuckofDeath » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:09 pm

cold water goes in away from the vapor path and comes out closer to the vapor path. So on deflag cold goes in top and bottom comes out hot. For shotgun condensor cold goes in bottom and hot comes out top.
DuckofDeath

Return to bubble cap users group