the modern distiller

Teflon Gasket

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Teflon Gasket

Postby Hawk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 am

So I got a wild hair and decided to try all Teflon Gaskets. The 4 inch gaskets needed the inner ring trimmed off and a steady hand and a razor took care of that job nicely. The teflon gaskets opening was just a bit bigger than the plate itself. Well after a run they shrunk down and are hugging my plates. I have to actually force them off if I want them off. I have heard someone say that they had an issue with teflon gaskets leaking but I got no indication of that. Now I wont have to wrap my gaskets in teflon tape! Nice. Too bad I cant find 3/4 inch in Teflon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Re: Teflon Gasket

Postby DrWho » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:57 am

Yes, nice, and that is a well seasoned plate. Good to know that PTFE sanitary gaskets can seal. I've moved from silicone to EPDM, and would like to use PTFE. But have been leery due to the reports of them leaking.

???
DrWho

Postby jake_leg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:18 am

I've always used PTFE. You have to screw them down pretty tight. I use silicone is for the connection to the keg though. Cutting PTFE flat is too hard.
jake_leg

Postby Hawk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm

jake_leg wrote:I've always used PTFE. You have to screw them down pretty tight. I use silicone is for the connection to the keg though. Cutting PTFE flat is too hard.

Cutting teflon at all is hard. It had to take me an hour to cut 3 rings. Totally worth it though.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:30 pm

punkin wrote:I just wonder how the teflon envelope gaskets would go, you may be able to stick it round the palte like an orifice gasket.

i don't have one in 4" here or i'd give it a go for you.

Could work. Give it a go. Found 3/4 online. May order up half dozen or so.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby BareKnuckles » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:50 pm

I have and can get 1" PTFE tape... I can send you some if ya want...
BareKnuckles

Postby jake_leg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 am

I take your point, I would not use PTFE gaskets with home made easy flanges. I happen to think PTFE is more durable and easier to clean. One thing's for sure - it's no good for fake tits.

I have nothing against silicone as a material but the silicone gaskets I got from Milehi ($0.98) were very irregularly formed compared to the PTFE ones I got from CSI designs ($0.84). That may just be because of poor quality control and price gouging at MileHi. I know your Stilldragon gaskets are much cheaper than that and I would hope the quality is better too.
jake_leg

Return to bubble cap users group