the modern distiller

copper in your still

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Re: copper in your still

Postby Tracker » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:01 pm

I have played with copper some, best place to put it in my configuration is after the high spot in the column, just before the condenser. It seems to get the full vapour contact without interfering with reflux or dephleg issues.

Thread is here
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1124&hilit=copper+spp

Cheers.
StillDragon Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer v1.10
Tracker

Postby Bushman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:15 am

I think trackers right, depends on your configuration and what type of copper you are talking about using as to the best place for it.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby harley » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:25 am

Hi

Do it right from the beginning, so no need to mess with a lot of loose copper pieces that sacrificial anodes .... all in the vapor phase shall be in copper for best flavor exchange ... if you do not burn to azerotrop directly ... :confusion-confused:
Copper has solved the biggest problems once for all .... and this would not suffice when there are massive copper catalysts to accompany with further solid copper connector :handgestures-thumbupright:

Cheers :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
We are also on Facebook under our name
harley

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:50 am

Coop

i am not sure about a bunch but free vapor flowing loose packing should work... say an expanded copper scrubbie or two so that vapors pass and give maximum contact with the copper...
FullySilenced

Postby WVSHINER » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Would someone take a brief moment explain sulphides to me and would it matter if there was NO copper added to the system.

Thanx, WVS.
Black labs know stuff.
WVSHINER

Postby Tracker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm

To my way of simple explanation, have you ever drunk beer from a glass bottle, then tasted one of the same brews from a can and noticed a slight difference in taste?
Although I cannot explain it in chemical terms, the taste in stainless v/s copper stilling gives to me the similar differences in tastes.
Does it make a difference? Who is to say. Some like drinking beer from cans, others prefer glass. If they are forced to change at any time, it only takes the next beer and they notice it no more.

My preference is for a bit of copper in the path but then I also prefer to drink beer from bottles.

Cheers, hope it helps some.
StillDragon Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer v1.10
Tracker

Postby harley » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:44 am

Hi

Copper looks good and it's easy to work with. However, the best characteristic of copper is that it reduces sulfide content during the distillation process, as alcohol Vapors react with boiler, vapor cone, and condenser walls and more copperparts. As a result, the final product should taste better, it will smell better, and you'll feel better the next morning .....

Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate
harley

Postby DuckofDeath » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:08 am

Rotten egg smell = sulphides

So if we can remove that with a little copper its worth the trouble
DuckofDeath

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:27 am

So scrubbies or copper bits in the boiler? or just in the reflux packing... Coop has copper bubble plates and so forth in unit but is that enough...? a loose scrubbie or two could not hurt on the downhill side could it unless it impeades the vapor flow to a great extent. :confusion-confused:

I will defer this to someone with more experience...
FullySilenced

Postby harley » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:51 am

Hi Fs :text-welcomewave:

If you have a mash with plenty of sulphides in then it's probably just a massive copparkatalysator that can remove this ...
Now I have to say no experience of molasses mash, but there are many who distill wine and then occur this problem and a solution that the big players have to this problem is a coppar catalyst and it consists of a thin corrected rolled copper sheet - like a lamella, so kontackten becomes massive and it is obvious in the vapor phase and on the "upside" ..

It is not enough that the entire system is made of pure copper but want to have more copper kontackt to neutralize all these sulphides ....

I do not know if molasses mash containing more or less sulphides than wine and mash of root-earth products, :confusion-confused:

Why do you think I started this thread! viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1228 :handgestures-thumbupright:

harley

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 am

Harley
I read that thread as it developed some good stuff there... Coop was asking about copper in his 4" SD BCap still with 2" risers and condensers... i was referencing that size only.. a few gallons a day versus hundreds a day could alter the way you approach the final product ... we agree copper is good in some situations... now we're just trying to help implement it a ways that is easy to service and cost effective... and keep Cooperville a happy man...
FullySilenced

Postby harley » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:15 am

Hello Fs

A copper catalyst need not be expensive to manufacture and can be complementary to sd 4 "6" and 8 "columns because they are made of ss and only Copper is some copper plates, but more copper kontackt is necessary in most cases, if not in almost all cases when use of molasse mash ..

My suggestion was to produce a lamella catalyst in a section, as an accessory which you can mount either before or after reflux cooler ..
but some peopel felt that this was not needed and was note a good idea.... :bow-blue:

it,s all about the taste.. and offcourse the price to get a relly good and smoth taste :handgestures-thumbupright:

harley

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:30 am

jeez i thought all this was just to surround yourself with women from the Sweddish Bikini team..........and a few drinking buddies.... :obscene-drinkingcheers: and if a little copper helps me get the I'm all for it....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FullySilenced

Postby harley » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 am

Hi Fs

Lovley foto :text-coolphotos:

here can you read of some of ours law when we make alcohol from some stone fruit mesh...
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/Notice.do?mode ... =508894:cs

This is the best foto of what a ment with a copper catalysator in a Sd sektion and this is from kina, a have not found a good foto of Carls catalysator with lamella that is outside of the colonn yeat.
http://www.winfay.com/showproduct.aspx?id=7

I think this rough copper materials from China can act as an efficient copper catalyst and it should be easy to back flush it and when it is so rough that it is so, it should not clog up so easily ..

what do you think others about this ...

harley

Return to bubble cap users group