the modern distiller

Thinking about getting a 4" Dash 1

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Thinking about getting a 4" Dash 1

Postby MaxOut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:53 am

Just wondering what size boiler is preferred for the 4" Dash 1? Thinking about using a Sanke keg and welding a 4" tari lamp in place of the 2" for easier access. Just looking for opinions from current users. Thanks!
MaxOut

Re: Thinking about getting a 4" Dash 1

Postby MaxOut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:53 am

MaxOut wrote:Just wondering what size boiler is preferred for the 4" Dash 1? Thinking about using a Sanke keg and welding a 4" triclamp in place of the 2" for easier access. Just looking for opinions from current users. Thanks!
MaxOut

Postby Hawk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:08 am

I started out with the MileHi 8 gallon boiler and graduated up to the 15.5 sanke keg as well. I welded on a 4 inch long ferrule for connection to the SD tower. You will be better off with the Keg. That tower makes quick work of anything smaller. Temps rise so fast that I find I am getting better cuts with the larger boiler. Even if it is only filled half way.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 am

Max what side of the world r u on.... so you will know which SD dealer to chat with...?
FullySilenced

Postby MaxOut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Hawk wrote:I started out with the MileHi 8 gallon boiler and graduated up to the 15.5 sanke keg as well. I welded on a 4 inch long ferrule for connection to the SD tower. You will be better off with the Keg. That tower makes quick work of anything smaller. Temps rise so fast that I find I am getting better cuts with the larger boiler. Even if it is only filled half way.

Thanks, I have a keg and prefer the 4" opening in the keg for easy access when needed. Any disadvantage to a 4" ferrule on the keg? Is the 2" beneficial to increase speed up the tower?
MaxOut

Postby DuckofDeath » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 pm

I have one of the 15 gallon milk cans. It seems to be the perfect size for hobby. I love the fact that I can remove a large opening and get in there with a cleaning cloth. I would LOVE to have one of the SD boilers but can't justify the size yet :)
DuckofDeath

Postby MaxOut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:34 pm

punkin wrote:Lots of people use a 4x2 reducer to attach directly to the 2"keg opening too mate. The vapour just speeds up slightly to pass the bottleneck. The same thing in all intents.

My main intention to use a 4" opening on the keg would be for easier access for cleaning and filling. The 4" ferrule is a little less money than 4"-2" reducer too :smile: My only concern is if the 2" is beneficial in speeding up the vapors? What do you think?
MaxOut

Postby MaxOut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:37 pm

FullySilenced wrote:Max what side of the world r u on.... so you will know which SD dealer to chat with...?

North America, I plan on sending message through contact page? Are you that person?
MaxOut

Postby MaxOut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:39 pm

DuckofDeath wrote:I have one of the 15 gallon milk cans. It seems to be the perfect size for hobby. I love the fact that I can remove a large opening and get in there with a cleaning cloth. I would LOVE to have one of the SD boilers but can't justify the size yet :)

Mind sharing the particulars on the 15 gallon milk can you have?
MaxOut

Postby MaxOut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Cooperville wrote:Gday Max

not much of a pickle I would definitely upgrade to a sanke keg i run with a 2"-4" reducer to join to the keg no issues at all

i also think this is a good size for a artisan/hobbyist distiller for the size of ferments

for a neatral i use 3 x45ltr washes to strip with my pot still and then this gives me enough low wines to do a full spirit run with the dash after cuts i get about 8-9-10 ltrs of 90+% abv neut its the right size for me as i gives me enough to play with and allows plenty of aging time :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Great info! Thanks for sharing.
MaxOut

Postby DuckofDeath » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Its a brewhaus preium kettle. I had someone weld a 2inch triclamp on it and then use the element guard from Stilldragon. Quality is really nice. I would recommend another port on the angle side as well as a drain. The new one that Stilldragon is coming out with would be perfect.
DuckofDeath

Postby Hawk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:30 pm

MaxOut wrote:
Hawk wrote:I started out with the MileHi 8 gallon boiler and graduated up to the 15.5 sanke keg as well. I welded on a 4 inch long ferrule for connection to the SD tower. You will be better off with the Keg. That tower makes quick work of anything smaller. Temps rise so fast that I find I am getting better cuts with the larger boiler. Even if it is only filled half way.

Thanks, I have a keg and prefer the 4" opening in the keg for easy access when needed. Any disadvantage to a 4" ferrule on the keg? Is the 2" beneficial to increase speed up the tower?

I don't think so but I do think that having the T right on top of the boiler doesn't help anything so I use a 4-2 then a 2-4 to the T and I think I get better results. I have a 4-2 short reducer on the way as we speak that I will be using so I don't have to use an extension on my product condenser side. I like the 4 inch for cleaning as well. Soon fester will have the 50L milk cans made especially for SD and I plan on hopefully being one of the first to own one. Too bad I wasn't around when the bubble balls of copper where available.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby MaxOut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:13 pm

punkin wrote:
MaxOut wrote:
punkin wrote:Lots of people use a 4x2 reducer to attach directly to the 2"keg opening too mate. The vapour just speeds up slightly to pass the bottleneck. The same thing in all intents.

My main intention to use a 4" opening on the keg would be for easier access for cleaning and filling. The 4" ferrule is a little less money than 4"-2" reducer too :smile: My only concern is if the 2" is beneficial in speeding up the vapors? What do you think?

it's not about the price of the reducer as if you don't use the reducer, you still nedd a straight piece of 4'to lift the bottom tee off the boiler. Dunno about Smaugs pricing but in Aus it's an option to have either one or the other for the same price.

SD in America/Canada is smaug@stilldragon.com .

Good to know thanks!
MaxOut

Postby MaxOut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Cooperville wrote:max if you are going to go with a 4 " ferrule for access to clean the sanke/boiler i would invert the keg and use the the bottom of keg as your top/start of column with your welded 4"ferrule and use the original sanke 2 " opening as a drain SD sell a blank/with triclamp which you can use for now until you get the cash to make a usable drain line i wish i did this

but i have fabricated a lid for the top of my boiler as i use my boiler for other uses including beer production

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waDsx3jzMfY

this is an old vid but it shows you my boiler set up

That is a good plan if I go electric if I direct fire I may just put the drain low on the side. Still planning it out. Might just wait and get a ready made boiler if Still Dragon makes the 50l one they are testing....
MaxOut

Postby Hawk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Come on punkin, you've got to be rich or f'n nuts to wear a kilt and flaunt a ball of war at the same time.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:06 pm

I may have to revisit that flick. I remember liking it alot. :text-goodpost:

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Philter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 pm

You can't forget the 5 point palm exploding heart Technique :lol:

I use a 4" ferrule on my 50L keg. To clean the keg, a 6" ferrule would be ideal, as it stands now, I can only just reach to the bottom of the keg.
StillDragon Dash 2
Pda-1 Reflux
Swede's PWM / PID Controlled Boiler
50L Boiler
Philter

Postby MaxOut » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Cooperville wrote:max if you are going to go with a 4 " ferrule for access to clean the sanke/boiler i would invert the keg and use the the bottom of keg as your top/start of column with your welded 4"ferrule and use the original sanke 2 " opening as a drain SD sell a blank/with triclamp which you can use for now until you get the cash to make a usable drain line i wish i did this

but i have fabricated a lid for the top of my boiler as i use my boiler for other uses including beer production

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waDsx3jzMfY

this is an old vid but it shows you my boiler set up

Very Nice!! I’m leaning towards gas fired because I all ready have burners and automation in place from my brew system. With gas fired I would cut the top and leave bottom in place. I would worry the gasket would fail under direct fire if I flip for gas. If I go electric I will flip for sure. Lack of a drain should not be a big deal because I will have to break the tower down after each use either way to clean the keg and I all ready have a homemade keg washer. I will put as big of an opening on the top as I can for the tower. I also plan to add another 2" triclamp to top for filling/temp gauge, 2" triclamp near bottom for possible hybrid use or sight glass, 1.5" triclamp for thermo well at top and bottom. I have a stainless food grade pressure relief/vacuum relief valves that are 1.5" triclamp for safety. I’m in the early stages of design so suggestions are very welcome. Thanks for sharing!
MaxOut

Postby MaxOut » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks for the help, I will figure some sort of drain for sure. I will be using a keg for starters and can configure it anyway I need to. I like the idea Punkin has for the take off from the bottom. The only problem will be clearance below on my current burner. I think for starters I will put one low on the side and can allways add one to the bottom later If I need to.
MaxOut

Postby MaxOut » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:39 am

Whats the 1" one down low for? Are the 2" triclamp's for element and sightglass? I want to configure mine as a hybrid so I can gas fire or use electric.

Plan (so far) -

4" triclamp on top center - tower mount
1 1/5"" triclamp on top off center - Fill and temp probe.
2ea - 2" triclamp down low on side for drain and element
2" triclamp top side for sight glass?

Sounds good to you? any sugestions??
MaxOut

Postby FullySilenced » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 am

Most people do 2" fill ports and the same for the fittings at the bottom of the keg.. except for the drain and the temperature ports... you could install thermowells for the temp ports then never any leaks there
FullySilenced

Return to bubble cap users group