the modern distiller

SD hybrid still ???

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

SD hybrid still ???

Postby WVSHINER » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:06 am

Guys, occasionally somebody mentions a Still Dragon hybrid still but being the dummy that I am finding said still on the SD site has been for nought.

What's up with that friends ??? A pic, description or link would be just peachy :lol:

As always, TIA.

WVS.
Black labs know stuff.
WVSHINER

Re: SD hybrid still ???

Postby Prairiepiss » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:14 am

There is a section devoted to hybrid stills here on MD. And many use different SD configurations to get a hybrid. Basically they use one or more plates and add a packed section above those plates. Like what mini is doing with his bubble ball. And I'm doing with my Fu Man. All kinds of pics in that hybrid section. :handgestures-thumbupright:
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby WVSHINER » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:46 am

Prairiepiss wrote:There is a section devoted to hybrid stills here on MD.

PP, Fu Man needs to git hisself some shades fer when he's out with the ladies. :laughing-rolling:

Black labs know stuff.
WVSHINER

Postby DuckofDeath » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 am

Basically its a reflux that has double tthe take off and carries over alot of flavor. :)
DuckofDeath

Postby LunaBrille » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 am

I have been really impresed with the results that members have been posting on these stills... So much so, I took the plunge yesterday and ordered a SD hybrid from Smaug. :clap:

BTW: Thanks for all your help, Larry. Much appreciated. :handgestures-thumbupright:
LunaBrille

Postby FullySilenced » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:20 am

Luna don't think you will ever be sorry on that one... congrats.... :clap:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
FullySilenced

Postby LunaBrille » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:14 am

FullySilenced wrote:Luna don't think you will ever be sorry on that one... congrats.... :clap:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Thanks. Ill probably regret it some once the ol lady finds out though. The plan is not to tell her until it arrives... Then I can spend my time in the dog house playing with my SD.
LunaBrille

Postby Philter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:35 am

LunaBrille wrote:Ill probably regret it some once the ol lady finds out though. The plan is not to tell her until it arrives... Then I can spend my time in the dog house playing with my SD.

Rip the address label off as soon as it arrives, then tell her it must have been for someone else and you're keeping it :lol:

Nah, probably safer to tell her, then buy a bunch of flowers. Works every time ;-)
StillDragon Dash 2
Pda-1 Reflux
Swede's PWM / PID Controlled Boiler
50L Boiler
Philter

Postby Monty » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:43 am

Philter wrote:
LunaBrille wrote:Ill probably regret it some once the ol lady finds out though. The plan is not to tell her until it arrives... Then I can spend my time in the dog house playing with my SD.

Rip the address label off as soon as it arrives, then tell her it must have been for someone else and you're keeping it :lol:

Nah, probably safer to tell her, then buy a bunch of flowers. Works every time ;-)

Amateurs.

Order her sexy underwear at the same time. One package is for her and one is for you. Except they're both for you, really, and you get credit.
Monty

Postby WVSHINER » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:18 am

LunaBrille wrote:I have been really impresed with the results that members have been posting on these stills... So much so, I took the plunge yesterday and ordered a SD hybrid from Smaug. :clap:

BTW: Thanks for all your help, Larry. Much appreciated. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Luna, would please please describe what you ordered. :smile:

WVS
Black labs know stuff.
WVSHINER

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:30 am

Heck he will have pictures to show in a couple of days.... even better...
FullySilenced

Postby rossco » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:56 am

A couple of pics of mine in pot and packed column from an older thread.

http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1336

There are 2 SD plates in a stretched torpedo.
These things work really well and I really like the flexibility.

Rossco :grin:
rossco

Postby LunaBrille » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:36 am

WVSHINER wrote:
LunaBrille wrote:I have been really impresed with the results that members have been posting on these stills... So much so, I took the plunge yesterday and ordered a SD hybrid from Smaug. :clap:

Luna, would please please describe what you ordered. :smile:

WVS

WVSHINER,

I'm on a iPad at the moment so pictures aren't possible. However here is a link to Hawks build which I outright plagiarized. I ordered the same lower three sections with a 20" column, big baby reflux condenser, 180 bend, and the long 2" shotgun product condenser with parrot kit. this is just my starter kit and im sure I'll be growing it like a set of Legos.

Once I get back to my laptop I'll post a mockup pic that I sent Larry.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=326&start=40#p16567

EDIT:

Here is the pic of Hawks rig that I referenced:

photo 3 - Copy.JPG

And here is the mock up I sent to Larry. We decided that the bottom 4" TC Pipe was not needed. The parts aren't to scale but from the details I provided above you should get a good idea of what its going to look like.

SD4SS.jpg
LunaBrille

Postby crozdog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:46 am

here is a thread on my hybrid SD viewtopic.php?f=16&t=558

4 plates + a 500mm 4" section packed with SS scrubbies.
crozdog

Postby rossco » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 am

Won't look like that shortly Rossco. Your new bits left yesterday, hopefully the flooding won't affect delivery.

Yeah thanks bloke. Possible it won't get here, we have been short of milk and petrol all week.
I've got a couple of strippers to do so I recon 3 plates 2 elements and copper Spud pot on top.

Drop u in some Mexican Thursday morning.

Rossco :grin:
rossco

Postby Hawk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:27 am

Luna, that base I feel is nice to have under your plate and above the boiler. I like it as I don't always take my tower apart. Most of the time a good rinse is all the tower gets and me not mucking with the plates and gaskets saves wear an tear. Not to mention its easier to mount to a tower holder while you are dealing with cleaning the boiler. I recently got a short 4-2 reducer as I wanted to drop the height of my tower as well as provide a stable base to work with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:26 am

Hawk wrote:Luna, that base I feel is nice to have under your plate and above the boiler. I like it as I don't always take my tower apart. Most of the time a good rinse is all the tower gets and me not mucking with the plates and gaskets saves wear an tear. Not to mention its easier to mount to a tower holder while you are dealing with cleaning the boiler. I recently got a short 4-2 reducer as I wanted to drop the height of my tower as well as provide a stable base to work with.

Thanks for the insight, Hawk. I'll probably end up adding a section in between the keg in the near future. Ill need a bit of extra height to get my parrot where I want. I have a bit of a bad back so I want to get the bubble T's higher, so I don't have to bend over so much to see them.
LunaBrille

Return to bubble cap users group