the modern distiller

Found a Baby Dragon...

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Found a Baby Dragon...

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:16 am

I heard a loud thump and some cussing on my porch this afternoon, I opened the door and found my post lady dropping off some packages. She said, "that one on top is heavy and sounds like metal parts... what in the world are you buying now?" LOL, if she only knew that was a baby dragon in there. :) Now if only the back-ordered long 2" ferrules will show up so I can finish my boiler!

Thanks for all your help, Larry!

LBSD1.jpg

LBSD2.jpg

LBSDSGK1.jpg

LBSDSGK2.jpg
Last edited by LunaBrille on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LunaBrille

Re: Found a Baby Dragon on my doorstep this afternoon

Postby Sadi » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:34 am

Looks very nice LunaBrille :handgestures-thumbupright:

I am sure it will serve you well.
Sadi

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 am

take care of your baby dragon,

You gotta hugg it and squeeze it and name it George....

.... from an old bugs buggy cartoon with the.... abominable snow-man and daffy...

edit found it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlVqfC8-UI
FullySilenced

Postby Hawk » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:11 am

punkin wrote:Yes, the SGK's come up really nice with some time on the buffing wheel.

That's a Tracker Flavour Stacker Packer by the looks of it. Nice bit of kit.

Sorry buddy, I got the first one. That's exactly the same as my tower. That will make a wicked neutral man. Take off the packed column and you'll get great flavor.

Hey it's my towers minime! Awesome!
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks guys, im pretty excited to see her in action.

@FS, funny you should quote baby Huey... Amongst my circle of friends that quote is used often. We're an educated lot :handgestures-thumbupright:

@Hawk, I have to give credit where it's due. I don't know who came up with this design but your thread(s) is where I seen this SD config first. Of course similar configs have been popping up with the same great results so it was a no brainer to go this route.

The thing I'm really liking is that I'm not locked into one design.
LunaBrille

Postby Hawk » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:39 am

You are locked into some great product there man. Treat her well and she will make you dread drinking anything but your own.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Tracker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Yep, different to mine, I have only 2 plates with no column for packing.

Cheers.
StillDragon Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer v1.10
Tracker

Postby Hawk » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:47 pm

I really should conciter polishing my SGK. You sure pimped out that ride.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Hawk wrote:I really should conciter polishing my SGK. You sure pimped out that ride.

It only took a few minutes on the wheel and some compound. Took longer to clean all the gunk off. ATM my granddaughter is running around with the SGK from the above pic calling it her telescope :laughing-rolling:
LunaBrille

Postby rossco » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Very nice LB.
Punkin sent me a few new pieces that should make a crazy configuration.
Waiting for the white rum wash to finish so I can take it out for a spin and see wot it can do.

Rossco
rossco

Postby DuckofDeath » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:53 am

I have the same dragon :) Mine was inspired by Hawk's though. It makes a very very nice bit of hooch :)

Oh and I tell my postman that they are parts for my drag racer... Still Dragin
DuckofDeath

Postby Hawk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

Still dragin. Lol. That's good man!

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby LunaBrille » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Progress!

Its been taking forever but my "Fester-like" Boiler is almost complete. I couldn't resist mocking it up and snapping a few pics. The "legs" are temporary, but it will be close to that height when finished... I am welding up a stand for it to sit on. Ill replace the all-thread you see in the pic with some feet for a pinball machine.

Boiler1.jpg

Boiler2.jpg

Boiler3-Top.jpg

Boiler3-Welds.jpg

thewholeshbang.jpg
LunaBrille

Postby Hawk » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Beautiful work there man! Honestly though,the legs scare the hell out of me. Everything else is Perfection!

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby LunaBrille » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Hawk wrote:Beautiful work there man! Honestly though,the legs scare the hell out of me. Everything else is Perfection!

Yup, she's got a shimmy to her! I'm certain that they wouldn't hold the weight of a charged boiler. They are just a mock up to check the height. The real legs are only 4" long So it won't be as scary. ;)
LunaBrille

Postby Hawk » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:27 pm

LunaBrille wrote:
Hawk wrote:Beautiful work there man! Honestly though,the legs scare the hell out of me. Everything else is Perfection!

Yup, she's got a shimmy to her! I'm certain that they wouldn't hold the weight of a charged boiler. They are just a mock up to check the height. The real legs are only 4" long So it won't be as scary. ;)

Nice. Will be real nice to see the final product. Taking a keg and turning it into something pretty like you have done is pretty cool.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am

Thanks guys. I'm installing my elements today and working on a controller, can't wait to fire her up and take for a drive.
LunaBrille

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:09 am

So LunaB I see George is growing up a bit.... keep working on him... :handgestures-thumbupright:
FullySilenced

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:52 am

FullySilenced wrote:So LunaB I see George is growing up a bit.... keep working on him... :handgestures-thumbupright:

:lol: I needed that. George is being mean to me, pa! I thought I would try minimes trick of driving in a stainless ferrule on the stock keg neck and somehow managed to drive it in crooked. Trying to get creative and save the ferrule before I reach for the sawzall.
LunaBrille

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 am

Did you sand or turn a starting lip...or step down so that it starts squarely...? Or bevel the leading edge?

stay with it..... it'll all be good... call it a learning experience :confusion-shrug: :handgestures-thumbupright:
FullySilenced

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:35 am

I'm without my die grinder ATM so I went at sanding the neck with my dremel. Evidently, not enough. Lol
LunaBrille

Postby DrWho » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:41 am

LunaBrille wrote:George is being mean to me, pa! I thought I would try minimes trick of driving in a stainless ferrule on the stock keg neck and somehow managed to drive it in crooked. Trying to get creative and save the ferrule before I reach for the sawzall.

Grab the propane torch and set it with a medium size flame. Heat the keg neck to expand it. Don't go crazy with the heat, just a few dashes around the neck. Then see if it frees up enough to seat the ferrule.

I've been able to darn near drop the ferrule into the neck after heating just the neck. Hopefully a quick heating will expand the neck more then the ferrule and it will go right in. :shock:

???
DrWho

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:26 pm

LunaB,
Did you get the ferrule installed?
FullySilenced

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:35 pm

DrWho wrote:Grab the propane torch and set it with a medium size flame.

That's exactly what I did. :grin: came right out.

FullySilenced wrote:LunaB,
Did you get the ferrule installed?

No, Put that on the back burner for now. I only had a short ferrule and I think a longer one will work better. In the mean time I think ill shave a gasket down and use that.
LunaBrille

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Didn't have much time after pissing around with the ferrule but stuck the elements in to see how the spacing is. I'm a little concerned that they may be a bit too close, about 3/4" of an inch. What do you guys think?

newpics_0002_Layer 2.jpg

newpics_0003_Layer 1.jpg

Pulled a old set of feet out of the junk box and threw them on, much better. I need to pick up some stock and weld up a stand next week. Chipping away at the to-do list!

newpics_0000_Layer 2.jpg
LunaBrille

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 pm

punkin wrote:You can bend the elements.

Thanks, Punkin. How far apart should I bend them?
LunaBrille

Postby DrWho » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:36 am

LunaBrille wrote:I only had a short ferrule and I think a longer one will work better.

You can also cut the flanged piece off then use the longer ferrule. I went as far as then soldering it into place to make sure that it didn't move or leak. As with the cut down neck there isn't as much support for the ferrule. I posted some pic's in Minime's thread where he showed the ferrule trick. :grin:

LunaBrille wrote:Didn't have much time after pissing around with the ferrule but stuck the elements in to see how the spacing is. I'm a little concerned that they may be a bit too close, about 3/4" of an inch. What do you guys think?

With the elements set up on tri-clamps just rotate each by about 45*. That should provide more then enough clearance.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
???
DrWho

Postby LunaBrille » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:33 am

DrWho wrote:You can also cut the flanged piece off then use the longer ferrule. I went as far as then soldering it into place to make sure that it didn't move or leak.

I had seen your post in minis thread. That turned out great and looks very strong indeed. I'll probably do the same once I can get another long ferrule. (I think Larry might be out of them ATM)

DrWho wrote:With the elements set up on tri-clamps just rotate each by about 45*. That should provide more then enough clearance.

It didn't take me long to figure out that trick... Thats where the 3/4" came from as they were just about touching before.
LunaBrille

Postby LunaBrille » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:53 pm

More progress. I finally finished my water cooler and built a controller. So I filled the boiler up to check for leaks and got heat going to check the element, it felt real good to see her boiling away (see vid) after all the time spent reading and reading. Tomorrow morning ill do a vinegar run and then I have some really old junk wine to use as a sacrifice. Should be a fun day.
Last edited by LunaBrille on Fri May 10, 2013 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
LunaBrille

Postby LunaBrille » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Did a cleaning run this evening of 6 gallons 50/50 vinegar and water. quit the run after taking just under 3 gallons. The cooling tower worked well, had to swap about 25%, of the water near the end of the run. I could still hold my finger under the output so it wasn't terribly hot. When I opened the cap to add water the air from the fan blew water all over, I think that with 300 bio balls the CFM of the fan is greatly restricted. I think tomorrow for the sacrificial run ill take out half of the bio balls. If it doesn't work out I can always add them in during the run.

Tomorrows my birthday so I'm going to be tempted to take a celebratory toast out of the hearts... probably wont, but damn. :lol:
Last edited by LunaBrille on Fri May 10, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
LunaBrille

Postby PPete » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:41 pm

LunaB, I notice the display on your controller is only displaying 3 volts, is there something wrong there or is it disconnected on the voltage. It's just that it looks like a couple I just bought and am building into a new controller.
We know the known knowns and we know there are known unknowns, it's the unknown unknowns we don't know that are a worry!
PPete

Postby LunaBrille » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:51 pm

PPete wrote:LunaB, I notice the display on your controller is only displaying 3 volts, is there something wrong there or is it disconnected on the voltage. It's just that it looks like a couple I just bought and am building into a new controller.

I don't know what's going on with that. I have it straddling the source side of the power but also tried it on the load side with the same 3 volts showing, checked it with my fluke and it reads corect. Don't really need to know the volts anyway I guess.
LunaBrille

Postby BareKnuckles » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:40 am

Dude...That's awesome! Welcome to the baby dragon club!

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby LunaBrille » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:18 pm

I spent the evening doing a sacrificial cleaning run. Started with a little over 2 gallons of crap wine (well intended gifts that I wouldn't drink), a couple bottles of sake :lol:, and about a half gallon of gin that's been sitting in the closet for years. it was a odd smelling mix to say the least! Added 2 gallons of water, checked the ABV and it was about 12... lower than I wanted. when i turned around my neighbor was dumping in a gallon of cheap box wine he brought up and that lowered it to about 6 ABV, so the yield was not going to be that much.

Made a few changes to the cooling tower. I upgraded my water pump from a 300 GPH to 700 GPH to get a bit more flow. also took out about 150 bio balls from the cooling tower which really helped push the air up and out. Power on was @ 6:30 pm and power off was @ 10:22 and the water was not hot at all. Compared to the vinegar run last night where I had to change part of the water out after a couple of hours, I think the changes helped a lot.

Having so much fun learning the ropes... here are the results. Let me know what you guys think.

6:30 Power On
7:00 Fore-shots already coming. I had the power controller on full and didn't expect anything happening that soon.

Backed it off to 9 amps and let the column equalize

8:21 500 ml @ 91 ABV
8:48 500 ml @ 91 ABV

Backed off on the power a half an amp and let her simmer for a bit

9:28 500 ml @ 92 ABV
9:54 500 ml @ 87 ABV

Distillate started to turn cloudy and the sight glasses started to fog up, tails approaching so I turned up the power and backed off the reflux

10:12 500 ml @ 40 ABV
10:22 Shut down and emptied parrot. Final 500 ml @ 15 ABV
Last edited by LunaBrille on Fri May 10, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
LunaBrille

Re: Found a Baby Dragon...

Postby LunaBrille » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:47 am

Left the hot mess in the boiler overnight. When I walked into the shop this morning it smelt like someone drank too much cheap wine and threw up in basket of smelly socks. :puke-front: Had the results of last nights run sitting out airing and noticed that the last jar had the same smell as the contents of the spent boiler. Boy, you guys weren't kidding about the "distinct" smell of tails.
LunaBrille

Postby FullySilenced » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:52 am

save em up for the smelly sock run.... :laughing-rolling:
FullySilenced

Postby LunaBrille » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:55 am

FullySilenced wrote:save em up for the smelly sock run.... :laughing-rolling:

Eww! :lol:
LunaBrille

Postby LunaBrille » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:03 am

Fester wrote:LunaBrille, I can't access youtube here in China but I absolutely love your boiler.
Its one of the best uses I've seen for a 2" SGK :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks, Fester. Sorry you can't access YouTube. I really liked your perfect keg boiler and modeled this one after that design. Of course with a few additions and changes inspired by other users... Hmmm, just like my cooling tower and still.
;-)

Seriously though, if it wasn't for contributions of knowledge from members such as you, minime, hawk, PP, swede, ETC... I would have ended up with something resembeling the craftsmenship of that guys shed in BC. :laughing-rolling:
LunaBrille

Postby LunaBrille » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:59 am

Bought a few new bits from Larry and Jaybird. The probe is only 2" long so it doesn't extend out into the column or into the reflux.
LunaBrille

Postby LunaBrille » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 am

punkin wrote:Looks fantastic.
Those sockets look longer than the ones we have for the rims?

Thanks, Punkin. I moved it down to the spare element ferrule on my boiler last night while heating water for a TPW. Twice the use at half the price.

Are you talking about the end cap with the female NPT? If so, that came from brewers hardware. Temp probe came from Jaybirds shop. Tee and clamps came from SD
LunaBrille

Return to bubble cap users group