the modern distiller

Alcometers and Fester's Sound Advice

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Alcometers and Fester's Sound Advice

Postby Philter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Just thought I'd post some info on what happens when an alcoholmeter breaks in a parrot.

For one reason or another, I forgot to put my scrunched up copper packing back in the parrot, and you guessed it, I dropped the Alcometer. Pieces of glass and little lead balls ran through the ball valve, and into my collection jar. Obviously I shouldn't have shut/re-opened the ball valve as I did but, as I didn't have a spare at the time, and was close to finishing my spirit run..... well, all of my product after that functioned as drain cleaner. :-o

I remember reading one of Fester's posts about having a little scrubbie "in the bottom of your parrot is a good idea". And he was right, so this advice probably fits most parrot users.

Below is a pic of the Ball Valve Body. It had been sitting for a long time with no use, and I'd decided it was time for an Autopsy.
Lead in Ball Valve.jpg

The seals were also damaged, and didn't hold liquid.
I must also state that NO product was ever consumed using this ball valve, or from the Spirit run after the breakage. The parrot and tri-clove seals etc were thoroughly cleaned afterwoods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StillDragon Dash 2
Pda-1 Reflux
Swede's PWM / PID Controlled Boiler
50L Boiler
Philter

Re: Alcometers and Fester's Sound Advice

Postby Bushman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:09 am

People have been putting scrubbers in the bottom of their parrot for sometime. I never have but then again I don't add my Alcometer until my parrot is fully charged as you can't read it until its floating. Almost 4 years and haven't broke one yet (where is the wood to knock on?).
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Re: Alcometers and Fester's Sound Advice

Postby Philter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 am

That comercial cracks me up every time LOO :laughing-rolling:

Bushman wrote:I never have but then again I don't add my Alcometer until my parrot is fully charged as you can't read it until its floating. Almost 4 years and haven't broke one yet (where is the wood to knock on?).

Good advice there Bushman, but I tend to empty my parrot regularly so as not to smear the product, particularly around heads/hearts transition. It might be overkill, but my inexperienced pallete hasn't fully nailed the subtle changes in taste yet... :angry-banghead:

Fester wrote:I'm told by the alco maker that the "shot" of the alco is mild steel beads and is not lead (Pb) so its safe.
Like you, if I break one I feel uncomfortable drinking the booze exposed to the fragments.

I don't think that particular Alcometer which broke was a Stilldragon one.

Fester wrote:Time to buy a Dragon Fire?
I thought to add the word 'Punkin' to the bottom of it but that would create a delay of a few days and give him an even bigger head. Can't have that, at least not on this batch :lol:

I usually keep a spare just Alcometer & Hydrometer - just in case, but will end up buying one of your extroverted (non-shy) Dragon Fire Alcometers. Yeah, go on - do it. Put his name on them PunkininspiredDragonFire :lol:
StillDragon Dash 2
Pda-1 Reflux
Swede's PWM / PID Controlled Boiler
50L Boiler
Philter

Return to bubble cap users group