the modern distiller

My first Panela Rum

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

My first Panela Rum

Postby Hawk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:03 am

Yesterday I did a BW run for some clean neutral to add to the panela run today. The neutral was on my packed column over a single plate. 95% at 3200ml heads to tails. Running the panela now and I'm loving the smell that is filling my room.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Re: My first Panela Rum

Postby Prairiepiss » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:08 am

It does smell delicious. Doesn't it.
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby Hawk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:15 am

It does PP. I am also running with copper scrubbies in my dephlag today. With my UJ I don't but I think the flavor will still come through nicely with them. They are helping keep the flow slow and the amps needed down to a minimum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 am

Hit tails at my normal 88%. Ill end up with a couple gallons after airing and dilution. What an experience! I used the Dunder to desolve the last 15 pounds and it is now cooling and awaiting yeast. Thank you SugarDaddy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:22 am

minime wrote:Panela ferments like a house on fire and goes down to 998 too :grin:

It did! while it was going it looked like a rolling boil at one side of each fermenter. I used glass carboys for the first batch as I wanted to see what was going on. Plus I got to see the little bugs floating around. :confusion-confused:

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Smaug wrote:
Hawk wrote:Plus I got to see the little bugs floating around. :confusion-confused:

Builds character
Adds character
Taste great
Less filling

And I can see in the dark when I pull my pants down now too. Funny little glow worm. :doh:

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:29 pm

minime wrote:
Hawk wrote:Plus I got to see the little bugs floating around. :confusion-confused:

Impossible to keep honey bees out of such a concentrated sugar source. I'd be surprised if the odd humming bird isn't included ;-)

nothing wrong with a little protein

It was interesting. I had a bee, a spidar, a few beetles and a few catipilars. Plus chunks of extras. LOL The wash strained out well into the boiler.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 am

So I took and made a 80proof jar at 500 ml with the panela after 24 hours of airing. I used fresh from the coconut milk to dilute. No water. Holy crap. All I can say is wow.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 am

Im not sure if I can get any fresh press cane juice here so Ill have to make that a dream drink less I can find a way down to florida.

Panela rum is totally different than I expected. Totally better than I expected.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Prairiepiss » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Rum and coconut milk. Good stuff. Much better with fresh coconut. Not that easy for me to find here. When I was in Africa I would get one of the locals to climb up and get me one. And I would have Luke Barwalker (the bartender) fix it up for me.
Prairiepiss

Postby Hawk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Prairiepiss wrote:Rum and coconut milk. Good stuff. Much better with fresh coconut. Not that easy for me to find here. When I was in Africa I would get one of the locals to climb up and get me one. And I would have Luke Barwalker (the bartender) fix it up for me.

Fresh was the way to go. My buddy was over and brought us a new coconut and he was amazed as to how well a hole drilled, faced to the jar and a hole on top worked for getting the milk out. Then we cracked it and did a pint with the meat of the nut too. That looks disgusting but then he came over to do some strange things. We did a pint of UJ and added a couple sticks of crispy bacon to it to sit on for a bit. LOL he says he has had bacon infused whiskey before, I think he is crazy to waste bacon like that. HAHA :violence-smack:

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Jaybird » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Yumm!!! Fresh Coconut milk to mix the rum....I never would have though of that.

Thanks for sharing

Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Postby nvnovrts » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:46 am

Hawk-
How many plates did you run? I'll be running Panela in another day or so.
nvnovrts

Postby Hawk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:48 am

3 plates.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby nvnovrts » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:58 am

Has anyone ran with 2 plates? what are the differences? (3-VS-2) I'll try it both ways, but curious as to what you gain and what you loose. I would love for some of that Panela nose to carry over!
nvnovrts

Postby Prairiepiss » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:28 am

I run one plate and 3 Scrubbers. I get plenty of flavor and smells out even in the upper 80% ABV.
Prairiepiss

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:16 am

nvnovrts wrote:Has anyone ran with 2 plates? what are the differences? (3-VS-2) I'll try it both ways, but curious as to what you gain and what you loose. I would love for some of that Panela nose to carry over!

3 will be just a little more pure and faster. I've ran 2 and 3. I started with 2 and added the third later. Flavor is almost the same. I couldn't tell to be honest.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Return to bubble cap users group