the modern distiller

Ceiling height requirements for 8" vodka still/100 gal boile

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Ceiling height requirements for 8" vodka still/100 gal boile

Postby Bikerb13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:38 am

Does anyone know what kind of ceiling height would be required for 8" vodka still and boiler?
Bikerb13

Re: Ceiling height requirements for 8" vodka still/100 gal b

Postby FullySilenced » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:14 am

A StillDragon 8" column? if so PM Smaug
FullySilenced

Postby FullySilenced » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:44 am

Forget Smaug you got the head cheese.... 8-) :obscene-drinkingcheers:
FullySilenced

Postby Monty » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:48 am

So what would an 8", 20 plate unit require, just for the tower alone?
Monty

Postby Bikerb13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:21 am

Sorry. I meant a 400l boiler. I specified in gallons in my original post. It has been my understanding one could get 95% abc from six bubble plates. It seems like in the smaller size columns (4-6") that was what people were getting out. Seems like I got that from the SD website. Maybe I read too much into it on the site.
Bikerb13

Postby Bikerb13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:24 am

Ps. I thought it was specified that 6 bubble plates were all that was required for vodka. I know much of the equation s dependent on how you drive the still and the mash up front. Maybe one would have to make more than one pass. I'd like to make only one pass. Maybe use some packing in conjunction with the bubble trays. My ceiling height will be 4 meters on the sidewalks and maybe 5 meters in the peak.
Bikerb13

Postby FullySilenced » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:55 am

Start with 6 plates and a packed section of column... i bet that would do it without hitting the ceiling...
FullySilenced

Postby Bikerb13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks for all the great comments! It's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm in the process of starting my distillery in Texas on the Gulf Coast named "Texas StillHouse". I've bought the 1.5 acres ans the 40x40 ft building should be complete in about six weeks (shell only). I'll be finishing it out inside with the office, storage and fermenting rooms myself with some help from friends. I hope to be ordering equipment from SD in the very near future and am trying to get ideas on what minimum equipment ill need to get started. There s a guy here in Orange, tx who makes "Troubadour Vodke" who is doing very well with it. Can't keep up with demand. He started out using a 4" Hillbilly Flute which he quickly outgrew. His vodka is really great, i like it better than Titos. very sweet and smooth. I'm wanting to start out with an 8" column and grow into it. I have found on the forums here where people are have good success with lave rock packed columns on top of plated columns. Sounds like something ill give a go at so I can keep initial still costs down and also save on some ceiling space. Now all I need is a good vodka recipe like troubadour. I think he's using corn and rice but not sure.
Bikerb13

Postby Bikerb13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks smaug. I need to get up with you to design my boiler and column. I want a jacketed boiler with electric heating elements in the jacket and 8" columns opening for still head. Would like to nail down design so we can get the equipment coming. I'm currently work on boiler requirements.
Bikerb13

Postby Bushman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:50 pm

Bikerb13 wrote:Thanks for all the great comments! It's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm in the process of starting my distillery in Texas on the Gulf Coast named "Texas StillHouse". I've bought the 1.5 acres ans the 40x40 ft building should be complete in about six weeks (shell only). I'll be finishing it out inside with the office, storage and fermenting rooms myself with some help from friends. I hope to be ordering equipment from SD in the very near future and am trying to get ideas on what minimum equipment ill need to get started.

Good luck with your business, are you mainly thinking about vodka or do you plan on producing other products as well?
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby Bikerb13 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 am

Starting off with vodka because of no aging but will look at other products that don't require aging also. Maybe clear whisky or rum or gin. Will probably begin putting something in barrels for later sales. Vodka seems to be a natural first product but will definitely be open to suggestions.
Bikerb13

Postby Bushman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:32 am

Bikerb13 wrote:Starting off with vodka because of no aging but will look at other products that don't require aging also. Maybe clear whisky or rum or gin. Will probably begin putting something in barrels for later sales. Vodka seems to be a natural first product but will definitely be open to suggestions.

A lot of micro distilleries here in Washington State are doing the same thing. Pretty hard to age for several years without an income.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby Strider » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:48 am

How far apart will your plates be located?
Strider

Postby Zombie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:21 pm

that's a 2.5 year old thread Bro!

Don't hold your breath for a response.

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Return to bubble cap users group