the modern distiller

Plumbing

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Plumbing

Postby Monty » Tue May 07, 2013 6:44 am

So I know almost as little about plumbing as I do about electrical. That said, what is the best way to set up a dash or even a VM reflux & product condenser? I'm recirculating from a reservoir, pumped using a cheapy submersible pump. I've been using a Y to split the feed to the condensers and use 2 separate return lines. My cold water enters the bottom of each condenser and warm exits the top. Is there a better way? If so, diagrams are really, really helpful.
Monty

Re: Plumbing

Postby Stinger » Tue May 07, 2013 6:59 am

I was going to point you to threads with diagrams and other info. - but they've all vanished within the last 24 hours, dammit :!: :confusion-confused: :angry-cussing:
Stinger

Postby Bonjimmi » Tue May 07, 2013 9:09 am

I have a separate feed for each condenser. This way when you make an adjustment to one, it doesn't affect the other.
In other words the feed water tee's off then you have a valve for each condenser ....
Bonjimmi

Postby cacticlayton » Sun May 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Hey monty you should go check out a post I just made in the plated forum titled "cooling manifold", there is a lot of good ways to set up your plumbing that were suggested to me as well as what I ended up going with. Sorry I dont know how to add a link.
cacticlayton

Postby Kapea » Mon May 13, 2013 12:20 pm

I run a VM column. My condensers are run in series. Cool water enters my product condenser (leibig) at the product out end. The cooling water travels "counter-flow" to the ethanol vapor and exits the liebig at the vapor in end. From there the cooling water travels through a hose to the reflux condenser (double wound 1/4" OD copper coil). The cooling water flows through the reflux coil, exits the reflux coil into another hose where it is directed to waste. I use rainwater for cooling water. Mine is a "once-through" cooling water system. One flow path. No recirculating. Cooling water inlet temp around 75F. Outlet temp around 135F. Feed rate 1 liter per minute. Cooling water is provided by household plumbing and flow is regulated with a hose bib valve.

Using propane as heat, it is possible to calculate boiler power input from cooling water flow and temp change.
Up is away from Earth.
Down is towards Earth. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:
Kapea

Return to bubble cap users group