the modern distiller

new 2-plate rig

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

new 2-plate rig

Postby heartcut » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:39 am

Just finished my first to-drink run on a 2-plate bubble cap rig. There's a detachable 32" x 4" top column for neutral, probably won't see much use but it looks impressive. There's a 12" x 2" extension under it so the liebeg can stay above ground. A little more flavor and a little faster than my old packed setup, I'm happy with it. The video of the dephlegmater is poor quality but the phlegm dripping from the coils in a circle is fascinating. Back in the 60's I would have watched it for a couple days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
heartcut

The reason lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place is that the same place isn't there the second time.
Willie Tyler
heartcut

Re: new 2-plate rig

Postby Zombie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:46 pm

I have no idea what I am looking at in the first Pict.!
Are those flow meters for the cooling water? What is the electronic doodad?

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby heartcut » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:40 am

Hey, Zombie
The flowmeters and thermometers are for the dephlegmator and product condenser water- controlled flow to the dephlegm makes it lots easier to drive a CM. The electronic device is reading product temperature at the parrot to correct the proof reading.
heartcut

The reason lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place is that the same place isn't there the second time.
Willie Tyler
heartcut

Postby Zombie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:05 am

Ok. thanks for explaining that. I take it none of that is Nesc. to running but you added it all to better monitor/run your rig?

Like a VW with a Lamborghini engine?

Zombie

Postby heartcut » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:40 am

I would recommend anyone using a dephlegmator use a flowmeter- it makes consistant runs much easier. The rest of the stuff helps some, but that's the big one.
heartcut

Willie Tyler
heartcut

Postby Zombie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:40 am

Pricey stuff tho. l looked into flow meters for thew product output side, and found 300-400.00 USD. But to be fair I was looking at fuel flow meters. (Flow Scan)

Zombie

Postby heartcut » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:28 am

Grainger, high priced as they are, has this from a quick search:
http://www.grainger.com/product/KEY-INS ... =P2IDP2PCP
Cheap tool shops and pawn shops sometimes have flowmeters intended for torches or plasma cutters, these can be pretty affordable. Mine were industrial surplus and downright cheap.
A 0-50 scfh air flowmeter is will read equivalent to a 0-8.9 gph water, air scales are more common. Conversion is ~ scfh * 0.18 = GPH.
About 10 gph is the max I could imagine a hobby size distiller for would ever use for equillibration and my spirit runs on the 2.5" and the 4" start around 2 gph and end up about 5 gph right before tails.
heartcut

Willie Tyler
heartcut

Return to bubble cap users group