the modern distiller

Few stupid questions

Hubble bubble toil and trouble

Few stupid questions

Postby Motorrad » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:27 am

Ill bother you guys instead of driving the North america Rep nuts. (Im sure he is on here somewhere)...

1. Can you run (assemble) the Stilldragon without the Bubble plates installed? (Just use the 4x4x3 Tee's) for a straight through shot? (4' pot still in essence)
I have never seen any mention of this, or anyone doing it.

2. Has anyone ever used the sight glass kits (3" to be exact) On the boiler? I was thinking it would be cool to add 3 of them to the Keg, so I could watch the boil as well.

Thanks guys.. Great site!
Motorrad

Re: Few stupid questions

Postby Prairiepiss » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:39 am

1 yes you could.

2 Rockchucker has one on his keg.
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:41 am

Add 2 to the keg, one to shine a light in the other to look into the keg and see everything ...

And call the rep he likes to talk about his products, no question is a bad one if you don't know the answer and can't find
FullySilenced

Postby Motorrad » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:19 am

punkin wrote:You can either remove the plates and reassemble, or just order a piece of 4" TC pipe to replace it. Saves undoing all the clamps, but does the same thing.

I have sold many sightglass kits in Australia as boiler viewports, you can put one on top with a triclamp connection and it doubles as a 3" fill port.

Very good to know they will put up with being in the Boil.

I was actually thinking of putting in 3 of them, all on the front face of the keg lined up to match the look of the Dash series. (top middle and bottom)

For a fill port, I was going to order a torpedo, instead of a 4X2 adaptor, and use its extra port for 1. a temp probe, and 2. a fill port.. Good idea?

(if you guys havnt figured out yet. my spelling is horrible... sorry)
Motorrad

Postby the Doctor » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:48 am

My Boiler has a 2 inch borosilicate sight glasses 2 on top one just above the elements no problems what so ever.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby Philter » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:05 am

Motorrad wrote:1. Can you run (assemble) the Stilldragon without the Bubble plates installed? (Just use the 4x4x3 Tee's) for a straight through shot? (4' pot still in essence)
I have never seen any mention of this, or anyone doing it.

I posted a little here : http://www.moderndistiller.com/forum/vi ... abd4c90284

I remove all plates when running my SD as a pot still. It works well, but can be messy if your boiler pukes.
StillDragon Dash 2
Pda-1 Reflux
Swede's PWM / PID Controlled Boiler
50L Boiler
Philter

Postby Motorrad » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:19 am

Thanks for all the answers guys.. Highly appreciate your time.

Another question.

Im working on designing the cooling system on my dragon.

If you had a choice... would you go with the needle valves that still dragon sells or plumb in some ball valves?

I have 2 March pumps on my brew rig, I was planning on using to run cooling water... and can choke it that way. But am unsure if a ball valve has enough control over the system. (have never run a stilldragon before)
Motorrad

Postby Tracker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:05 am

I have been using a ball valve but just received a SD needle valve because I found difficulty in adjusting to a slow trickle.
Have not used the needle yet though.

Cheers.
StillDragon Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer v1.10
Tracker

Postby Motorrad » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Goodgood.

I have another... I have searched my rear off trying to find the answer. Only have found a slight mention of it.

Everyone seems to be setup (top of dash still) to backflush their system so not to have to disassemble after every run.

I am set up the same (torpedo top).

Wont the plates hold liquid? what are you modifying to make them drain when backflushing/cleaning (you guys must be drilling holes somewhere)
Motorrad

Postby Motorrad » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:44 pm

punkin wrote:The seal is good, but not that good.

It'll drain over a few minutes as i understand it.

Ill see if I can drag it up. someone on here mentioned somthing about drilling the downcomer
Motorrad

Postby Monty » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:28 pm

I just finished a steam cleaning run of my new bubble plate and noticed there was essentially no liquid retained on the plate when I was done. I'm guessing its draining either through the friction fit of the caps in the absence of any upward vapor pressure? All the caps were firmly screwed down...
Monty

Postby Motorrad » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Monty wrote:I just finished a steam cleaning run of my new bubble plate and noticed there was essentially no liquid retained on the plate when I was done. I'm guessing its draining either through the friction fit of the caps in the absence of any upward vapor pressure? All the caps were firmly screwed down...

Good to know.

I drilled all my downcomers today (.039" #61 bit..) or for you guys with your goofy metric system.... 1mm
Motorrad

Return to bubble cap users group