the modern distiller

my new build

my new build

Postby liquidtherapy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:28 am

With alot of advice from Mr. Zombie my new set up is nearing completion! Its a 42 quart pot with a 20 quart thunper. I cant wait to fire it up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liquidtherapy

Re: my new build

Postby Zombie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:05 am

Holly Bat droppings BatMan.! It's like looking in a mirror! :laughing-rolling:

As the Pict was loading I thought It was my Pict. re-posted. Not to appear prejudiced but that is the most beautiful pot still I have ever seen in the entire world!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I latter went on to solder those spacers to the leibig, and vapor pipe but before I did... I filled the spacer pipes w/ Silicone to reduce heat transfer between the two. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I give you a TON of credit there Brother... You did a fantastic job. Are you using the EPTFE gaskets? The Rubber ones that came with the drain will stink up your whole neighborhood. I'm sure you found that out when you opened the boxes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Running on a gas stove it takes about an hour, and a half to begin to "thump" and about another hour, and a half to get into tails. Start to finish you might spend 4-5 hours and wind up w/ Approx. 2-2.5 gallons of tempered hootch.
You can speed it along by MILDLY heating the thumper when you start the run, and heating both pots if you want to collect tails for feints. The guy that has mine has a pretty big stock of feints that he says he has a "master plan" for. :think:

You will also find the leibig only needs to run at a trickle if you fill the the vapor tube w/ scrubbies. Maybe the same as collection or just SLIGHTLY more. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I'm proud for you, and flattered to see the exact same rig. I don't post about running cause I like the design stuff at this point, and running has really become a chore in my life but if you would be sooo kind as to post up how well this simple design works others may see it is a very inexpensive option, easy to tear down, and stash in plain site, (even in a one room flat), and does a great job at collecting an average run around 90-100proof.
It just may become an instant classic. :obscene-drinkingcheers: I love ya already LiquidT! :oops:

Congrats on the new baby! :clap:

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:24 am

I did immediately trash the rubber gaskets and replace, wow did they stink! I found i needed more like 15 clips to hold down the pot lid. In the vapor tube inside the condensor, i took a scrubby appart and cut a .5 wide strip the entire length of the condenser, 32.000 and soldered on either end. Blowing yhrough it felt like the same prrssure as a 20' x .375 worm. Was a chore running to home depot and having packages sent to more places then just home, but ist a labor of love!! I had to go with the set up you showed me Zombie, it was like a shiny thing to a coon. I will deffentlypost how my first run goes, i have high hopes. I ccurrently have 30 gallons of 2nd generation uncle jessies corn waiting to be my baby's first!!
liquidtherapy

Postby Zombie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:58 am

More than your hopes will be high! :lol:

Make SURE to do a throw away run!!!! You can get away with a quick Turbo wash. It might take 3-4 days to make 10 gallons in the stock pot itself. It's easy to siphon the crud off the bottom, and scoop about 1/3rd of the wash into the thumper.
You can also cut or un solder the scrubbie (unless it is stainless) Copper will turn to garbage in short order if you are running grain bases.

I'm an expert at Split Shipments LOL I know the feeling. living in a town w/ one hardware store in the southern US is not exactly conductive to privacy. Go to the pharmacy to buy condoms, and everyone wants to know who the girl is. :lol:

Like I said ... I am flattered sir. Run it in good health :handgestures-thumbupright:

Zombie

Postby Maheel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Nice looking build Lt

just thought i would mention something...

keep an eye on those rivets in the handles of your thump pot
i have had them become loose and leak on that type / style of pot
a lot of the pots they are also not SS rivets

easy to remove them and replace with SS bolts and nuts to fill the holes (with a little teflon thread tape to seal) if you have any issue
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby liquidtherapy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:15 am

Thanks Maheel i sure will. The pot is spot welded, the thunper is riveted. I bought the pots from 2 diffrent places. Wish i would have bought them from the same place as the 42 quart is alot better quality.
liquidtherapy

Postby Zombie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:27 am

Nice catch Maheel! :handgestures-thumbupright:

I drilled out the lids rivets, and just filled the holes w/ solder BUT I just called the fella the has the rig, and found out we have more holes to fill. The handles are riveted on both his pots.

LT... I have the opposite... The thumper quality is better. it weighs as much as the larger boiler pot. Go figure. :lol: :lol:

Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:14 am

I know this is terrible, i havent run my cleaning runs yet but i already have my next build in the back of my hrad. Im thinking about a reflux system. The misses thinks ive gone crazy.
liquidtherapy

Postby Zombie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:34 am

um.... Welcome to the other side! :handgestures-thumbupright:
Haven't you noticed??? Everyone on these distillation forums are um, well, to be delicate... a little.... off the norm. :obscene-buttsway:

I came here w/ some crazy ideas but have since gone completely insane. :teasing-tease: :angry-banghead:

:obscene-moneypiss: Matlabs

Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:57 pm

"This post was sent to me in reply of getting the flux smell out of my new set up even after a steam clean and a through awsy run. I thought it was good info and was asked to repost it"

This still will run 30 lbs of sugar, and give you 3.5 - 4.5ish gallons of 100 proof.Per run. Look for these 15 gallon plastic jugs. I'm talking about 2 runs so... 1.5 - 2ish gal. for one jug
30lbs sugar/ minimum per jug. Whatever recipe you make.
The guys here talk about S.G., and other "Initial" (pun) numbers, and I know math don;t lie (can't lie) but you can find thirty pounds of sugar anywhere...(fermented granite???? fermented ANYTHING!!!), and add water as a binder for the ethanol..The "binder" is ideally as completely "neutral" as possible aka "Pure water" if you seek a ...I don't know the word but ...pur'er ethanol. A fuel grade product is the best way to explain it. That's all it is. Mind numbing fuel that you can ingest, and you welcome the ingestion.

I believe this is where all the (insert word here)______ differences in the definition of the word "Neutral" come from. It's a WORD! the closer to "neutral" = pure'er = closer to fuel grade
I have to say this... The guys that fight over the definition of ":neutral" are paying WAY too much attention to each other!!!!!!!
Don't get me started...

If you want to add flavors that you see in your mind, and almost taste... Find a way to make that out of what you have. That's the beauty of a pot still. You can make EVERYTHING! (eventually) So many people have such cool shit it is almost... surreal. One thing tho... they all have a similar goal. Make whatever they (insert word here) ______ LIKE!.

You can make anything out of anything.

Sorry for the rant... Yes the carb clean is a highly recommended next step. I ran into the same issue. I just realized... Your significant other is gonna hate me no matter what YOU say
The bigger the hammer!?! The more stuff you can make. Ask any insurance company!

I'm almost convinced it's all a "set up".

Hi! I'm Xombie, (sorry, I meant "Z" but I mistyped), and I grow coconut trees in Kansas. Nice to meet ya guys!

One drum fills both pots... 8 gal Pot, and 4 gal thump. You notice it adds up to 12 gallons but the sugar weight makes it closer to 13-5???, and you want expansion room in the cans.

depending...31/2 41/2 gallons for two runs. !f it starts at 160% keep till 40%. Believe it or not...SERIOUS you can shake a sample, and proof to + - 4%. I can also spot an angle to .5 - 1% but I digress...
Easiest way to learn, Buy a couple different clear boozes. Different proofs.

Point is to Avg. 100%. No matter what the "start, end numbers". It's sorta like a pot stiller thermometer.

Keep or throw whatever before, and after those numbers. What you do w/ leftovers is up to you, and don't let ANYONE tell you different.

You gotta have faith... The pot still came first!!!

You have to make 1/2 gallon blubbers/air locks if you get barrels. Hootch has a smell that everyone recognizes. And everyone of them are jealous.
liquidtherapy

Postby liquidtherapy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 am

Ok did all my cleaning runs and ran 13 gallons of 4th generation ujsm. All i can say is "what was i thinking using that pressure cooker set up"? This nrw set up ran flawlessly! The cuts were so apparent and compleatly diffrent from the last.it actully tastes like something you would want to drink and savor! A big thank you goes out to all of you helpp me on my way!
liquidtherapy

Postby Zombie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:57 am

That's really cool Bro! It must have been quite a moment when you saw some good hootch flowing. Even better because you had some mature mash to run.
Now you gotta hone in on recopies the "better half" likes. Funny how it ALWAYS becomes about them eh :lol: !

What did you get for total collected, and total "hearts"? Avg. ABV? How long did the run take after heating up? :geek:

Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:17 am

Total collected was 1.5 gallons. Avg. ABV was 70% i kept alittle over .5 gallons and the rest to save for next weeks run, in the thumper... add to the pot??? Was a high 5 moment!!! I know it gets better from here!!!
liquidtherapy

Postby Zombie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:39 am

I put all the "add on stuff" in the thump., and keep the pot clean.
Try WLP045 Scotch yeast. It might up your ABV average, and give a bigger "hearts" section.

High 5!

Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:00 am

I deffently will try it. My only complaint is being that i put wash in the thumper my end result was a bit cloudy. I ran it through the britta but dident help much.
liquidtherapy

Postby Zombie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:12 pm

That could be alot of different things... Puking or excess oils in the water vapor is my first guess.
I made that vertical "puke box" because of the same issue. You're output looks slightly longer than mine so I would try stuffing the output w/ some stainless scrubbie.

It could also be the water (hard water), Hot ferment (making too much oils), or running too fast/hot. Hopefully the scrubbie will get it. You can re-run the cloudy bit, and it should clear if you find the cause, and correct it.

Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:52 pm

I think yoir right, i had alot of heat on it. Ill try slowing it down.
liquidtherapy

Postby rickyd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:33 pm

A thing of beauty is a joy forever
Nice build :bow-blue: :bow-blue:
The Stillin Villain
rickyd

Postby Zombie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:10 pm

"You're output looks slightly longer than mine so I would try stuffing the output w/ some stainless scrubbie. "

Reading that again it sounded confusing... I am referring to the vertical output pipe from the thumper. Before the leibig.

Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:02 am

Thank you rickyd. Im very happy with it! I just cant get over the difference. From what i was using, yeah i wont be going back there!!! Mr. Zombie, im pretty sure i ran too fast and hot. I pushed it to heat up and left it there. Would copper scrubby work as well? My end result was a light tea brown then got clearer the closer to the end of myrun i got.
liquidtherapy

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:27 am

Copper scrubbie is fine but pricy, and has a finite life span. The idea is to catch the oils so any packing will work. It's basically acting as a trap, and not for reflux. You will have to vinegar or acid clean it each run but so what.
Light tints almost always mean too hot. Yellow to brown is a a light burning of the sediment in the mash. I use these type filters w/ a cloth element installed. Scrap the carbon one that comes w/ it. OR try pouring thru 2-3 pillow cases to get out all the grit.
I'm sure you are dealing w/ burnt mash from the long heat up.

One other thing I do is run a piece of 80grit sandpaper around the bottom of the pots. It makes thousands of peaks/valleys for micro bubbles to form, and helps reduce the actual boil/run time. You start making vapor sooner, and can roll back the heat sooner.
I have suggested this before on the forums but have had no responses or input on the idea. It works.

Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:26 am

All awsome ideas, ill be putting them to the test this weekend!!!
liquidtherapy

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:59 pm

forgot to show the filter... I get them at Ace Hard. but it's not showing on their site.

http://www.zoro.com/g/00157359/k-G53679 ... fgod9mkAKA

Zombie

Postby motormouth1162 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Just curious because I'm building my first one but how well do the lids seal or do you have clips on them
motormouth1162

Return to Pot Stills