the modern distiller

Work in progress...

Work in progress...

Postby Zombie Killer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Here is a mock up of my current work in progress. Pot still with thump keg to worm condenser. If you note the stack of kegs in the background they will be part of the build. One of the other kegs will become a interchangeable boiler.
Layout..png

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Texada went in and out of the news. Its association with" illegal intoxicants" dates back to 1928 when the biggest whisky still north of Vancouver was busted in romantic Pocahontas Bay. ZOMBIE KILLER....................
Zombie Killer

Re: Work in progress...

Postby Zombie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:09 pm

I like the research on the thumper in/out. Nice!

Any reason for choosing a worm over a Liebig style condenser? A worm requires a much higher water flow due to the heat soaking of the water.

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Location is the big factor for choice of worm.
Texada went in and out of the news. Its association with" illegal intoxicants" dates back to 1928 when the biggest whisky still north of Vancouver was busted in romantic Pocahontas Bay. ZOMBIE KILLER....................
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie Killer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Well there is going to be little to no progress on the still. we are going to be putting in 72 hour work weeks. :( but the OT pay :grin: will pay for the copper and sanitary fittings i will need to move forward. hard to get work done on it with 3 hours a day free time.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:52 pm

See there. You joined the wrong team. Zombies have three hour work weeks, and 72 hours of free time. (the rest is spent eating brains, and relaxing on the beach) Not really I hate the beach.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:22 pm

Just got home 8:20 pm its a hard life being a Zombie Killer
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:27 pm

I'll back you for membership. We have it sooooo much easier.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:32 pm

Looking at buying some 2" keg kits from Rainierdistillers. $54.00 bucks a kit. not bad ?
8505693684_36d02a3cfc_n.jpg

1346446666002-1753294887.jpeg

anyone use these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:12 pm

Go to FleaBay, and look up 2" sanitary fitting. You get the clamp, PTEF gasket, and a stainless ferrule for 6.99. Free shipping.

You can send the money you saved to the United Zombie College Fund . You guessed it... A mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:34 pm

Got zero results from FleaBay and not much that was similar from eBay. :confusion-shrug: got to keep looking.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:19 pm

I'll PM you the link. I don't know how to embed them so the BOTS don't find us.

Hey!!! Common enemies! We're on the same team after all.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:26 am

Thanks. Z
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie Killer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 am

Anyone from Canada here. looking for a good source for sanitary fittings so i can cut out the expenses of delivery. our dollar sucks right now compared to the US. Something like 79 cents :(
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:06 pm

Ebay Ca. I just went on and found several "sanatary fitting 2". Just copy / paste that.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Yeah man i have been killing the search. just not 100% on what route i want to take. it would be nice to have a keg kit all ready to go but i guess at the same time if i can save on paying for someone's labor that would be nice too. just gotta make up my mind is all. but $84 bucks for one kit...I dunno.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:57 pm

Look for JayD's posts on EZ flange.
It'll save you 84 bucks.The rest is easy. Still head, column, whatever.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Well still not much to report as far as work goes on the still. I have been working long hours and have only had about 3-4 hours a day for time with the family. Going to pick up some 1" Copper pipe tomorrow and have cleaned up the kegs a little and might clean up my SS stock pot tonight while sampling some alcoholic beverages. The guy im picking up the copper from is selling it for $15. per 6' pretty good deal i think so im going to buy 12' should help the project along a little. I plan on reducing form 2" to 1" going into thump and then 1" out as well then reduce down to a 3/4" worm. If i can find someone to weld a tri clamp fitting on to the thump keg then i will go 2" in and out of the thump. well thats all i got going right now. have a good day.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:31 pm

You might want to re-consider, and stay at 2" in, and out of the thumper to gain faster run times.

Myles posted a method of reducing a 2" at the top of the thump keg to a 1" going into the liquid, and another 1" outlet. off a "T" fitting on the top of the keg. All in one fitting, and no drilling the thump.
I hope you can tell from this CAD. My skills suck but I hope you get the idea...

2" in on top, and 1" out on the side to the worm/ condenser. You'll have a higher vapor mass transfer, and faster runs.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:09 am

yup thats what i meant. But i guess what I was thinking is that the picture above is 1" in and 1"out through a 2" pipe not a true 2" in and out. I like the design and that there is no drilling welding involved.

e-mailed Broken Oar Distilling they are going to get back to me with some pricing on some keg too 2" copper kits. So things are coming along.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie Killer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:29 am

Just picked up some copper pipe's they are type "M" 1" 6' length they sell in store for $22.25 for a 6'. Got two 6' lengths for $30 :) pretty happy with that deal. Guys got some more to sell if I need it. time to break out the measuring tools and design some mock ups. still waiting to here back about the 2" keg kits.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:07 pm

This is all the cool part for me.
I like the planing, and seeing something develop. Keep taking your time, and get it right the first time.

Oh yeah... That fitting is a 2" top, and bottom. One inch out on the side. A little fancy work to add the "easy Flange to the bottom, and adding a 2" to 1" reducer in the top. Two hours work... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:41 pm

Think that if the price is right on some pre fabed keg kits ill go that route but I also think that a "Easy Flange 2.0" looks..well easy.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie Killer » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Question: I have come across a deal on some 15.5 gallon kegs $25 a piece would it be worth it to sell off some of my 13.2 gallon kegs for theses ? not sure if the 2.3 gallon difference will matter much. thoughts ?
Zombie Killer

Postby JayD » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:22 pm

Buy two and weld together...nice boiler :handgestures-thumbupright: as seen here I would cut the top off one and the bottom off the other and weld together...
JayD

Postby Zombie Killer » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:42 pm

JayD wrote:Buy two and weld together...nice boiler :handgestures-thumbupright: as seen here I would cut the top off one and the bottom off the other and weld together...

If i was only a welder, or knew one that could keep a secret ;)
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Even if you stick to one can the upgrade. You're talking about close to a quart of end product.

For the welder it's easy... Hold his dog hostage.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:21 pm

The gear so far. Not bad for $110.
100_0522.JPG
Zombie Killer

Postby JayD » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:28 pm

mate your laughing, all that gear for $110...now to set it all up properly. :confusion-confused:
JayD

Postby Zombie » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:59 pm

You can build a Rocket ship!

You're swimming in parts Good for you!

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Trying to sell that oddball Keg. looking at picking up a 15.5 gallon the others in the picture are all 13.2 gallon. Guess if i cant sell it well then its getting cut up into a keggle or will use it as a Fermenting keg. Hope it sells though
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie Killer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Decided on cutting it
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:36 pm

That's what any real man would do! Now to figure on which power tool to use.

HONEY!!!! Get the car! We have to go to the store.....

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:36 pm

Zombie wrote:That's what any real man would do! Now to figure on which power tool to use.

HONEY!!!! Get the car! We have to go to the store.....

Got a Dremel 4000 and and bunch of patience.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie Killer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:43 pm

But looks like i might have someone buying it off me. So we'll see. Got such a good deal on them its hard to let them go. But would like to pick up a 15.5 gallon SS keg and use one of the 13.2 gallons as a thump. sent some pics off, see if i get a bite ;)
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Keg / thump is the way to go.

I've got some friends that are working scientists, and they refuse to believe a thumper can work. They are preparing an experiment to prove / dis prove the idea.

I'll post up the results here when it happens.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:12 pm

Zombie wrote:Keg / thump is the way to go.

I've got some friends that are working scientists, and they refuse to believe a thumper can work. They are preparing an experiment to prove / dis prove the idea.

I'll post up the results here when it happens.

interesting. What exactly are they trying to verify, the secondary distillation that occurs. Surely a thump keg has more than one purpose other than that.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:30 am

It's on a forum, Science Madness. A couple of fellas have teamed up in the belief that a NON heated or insulated thumper is against the laws of thermo dynamics. They Barely grasp the notion that is is indeed a second phase/ distillation, and are hell bent to disprove the entire concept as "Hillbilly Lore".

the thread is here... www dot sciencemadness dot org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=61566
Just fix the spaces, and replace the dots.

Be warned... It's 15 pages so far, and I had to fight tooth, and nail to get them to commit to an experiment to prove it. The result should be in the next few days.

It's a simple single pot distillation compared to a thumper set up. The proof will be in the proof (ABV) . (nice pun eh?)

I set the parameters for them so this should be the first time a controlled experiment like this has been published on the web. Nobody in that forum could find any laboratory reference, and they are GOOD at finding obscure publications.

Once the experiment is run, I intend to post the results here as well. (Own thread)

It's rather amusing because I am new to their site, and they gave a valiant effort at beating me down on this, but you of all people know how resilient a zombie can be. "Beat downs" are zombie motivation.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:56 pm

im curious as too what is in the thump ? guess ill have to read the thread. Sounds like a fun study though.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:31 pm

It's gonna run the same as a scaled down still / thump.

500ml boiler. 250ml thump, 400mml liquid in the boiler at 10% ABV, and 125ml liquid in the thump at 10% ABV.

I set the parameters, and the method of operation ie: output rate, configuration, 20% ABV collection cut off.

The target is to compare a single run boiler (pot still) output ABV to that of a single run pot / thump run ABV.
i estimated a 20-25% increase in the pot / thump compared to a pot alone. 40% ABV final for the still, and 50% abv for the pot / thump

The scientists insist it will make no difference or they would have been using these "Magic" ABV boosters centuries ago.

I wish I could get them to lay some coin on this. It's a ringer.

You should have heard them when I said I can proof to within 10% by shaking a jar!!! They bout near broke out the torches, and pitchforks.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:34 am

Read through the thread. Good read learned a few things. Interested to see the data on the run or hopefully run's made under different conditions.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:00 am

You see how freeken(scuse me) fired up they got?

i was laughing my butt off. The madder BlogFast got the funnier it was.

The guy is becoming like a new grandpa to me tho. Mine was exactly the same. He'd yell at you for hours about the dumbest thing, and then get even more pissed when you told him you were leaving. Go figure.

You can see tho near the point we are at now how has come to accept it does work in physics, yet he has not openly admitted it.

I think I'll put him on my Xmas list.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:50 am

There may be some misinterpretation of the problem or maybe what im thinking is there is more to it than a Thumper just boosting the EtOH content vs how it affects the overall EtOH in the final product and how much volume of final product will be collected. I'll have to re read a little to see if this was touched on.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie Killer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:52 pm

A Little update in the still project...nothing, work is killing my life and filling my wallet right now. Hope to make a Copper shopping spree soon for some 2" pipe. no luck finding any on Kijiji. Any Canadians here know a good local place to buy some copper pipe ? The Canadian Tire that's close to were i live had nothing over 1" and most fittings were less than 1" as well.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Same in the US.
Over 1.5" is all specialty stuff... Flea Bay!

Zombie

Postby coastershiner » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:18 pm

Go to a plumbing wholesaler, emco and mph will sell to you without an account, there are multiple locations on the lower mainland.
coastershiner

Postby JayD » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:06 pm

coastershiner wrote:Go to a plumbing wholesaler, emco and mph will sell to you without an account, there are multiple locations on the lower mainland.

Welcome to the forum...could you please drop by our introduce yourself forum and say Hello...
JayD

Postby Zombie Killer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:44 am

Got a job promotion and work more hours i have also been sick last few days. seems like nothing but road blocks for this project right now :(
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:26 am

Don't sweat it brother... I'm cleaning the critters out of my "pile o still" parts. Something is making greasy rust specs all over my column parts...

My neighbor says it'e spider shit. Great!

Congrats on the job tho.

Zombie

Postby Zombie Killer » Tue May 17, 2016 1:00 pm

So its been quit a while since i posted here but thought i would make a small update. got hooked up with a 3' 3" piece of 2" type L copper pipe today for free. :) early birthday present.
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie Killer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:16 am

another update. getting some flanges made up for connecting head to keg. hopefully sooner than later.
this has been a slow build but all in to date i haven't spent more than $110. all that i have left to get together is pieces for the condenser ( may have that in 1' of 2" pipe )
some fittings and a burner and i should be ready to start putting some of this gear together. cant wait to share the work here in the hopefully near future.
Zombie Killer

Next

Return to Pot Stills