the modern distiller

Gasket

Gasket

Postby watertrapper » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:17 am

so my wash is nearly done and decided to do cleaning run now that i got my pot still done to the best of my abilities. My question is i used cardboard and PTFE tape as a gasket between the floor flange and the top of my pot, read that its o.k to do that. Now that Im running my vinegar and water run im having tons of steam come out between the bowl and the pot even though i have tons of clamps on it. Can i make a huge gasket out of the same materials to go between the pot and the lid. I know i could use paste but hoping i can go the other route so i don't have as much clean up! And is the tape in the pic the correct PTFE tape?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
watertrapper

Re: Gasket

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:21 am

Looks like, from the photo, that the bowl is welded to the pot lid. Is the lid maybe warped from the heat and not seating flat against the pot?

I use cardboard/ptfe gaskets on both my boiler and thumper and don't have that problem. My mixing bowl on my boiler isn't welded/soldered to the lid. I measured the diameter of the pot and went shopping for a bowl to fit it. I use binder clips to clamp it to the pot top. My gaskets are made with picture framing matte board wrapped with at least 3 layers of ptfe tape. I made the gaskets a little larger than required so that they extend a little beyond the edge of the bowl and pot top. They tend to expand and contract with continued use.

If you're sure there's no warping of your lid, you might try a few more wraps of ptfe tape. Good luck with it.
S-Cackalacky

Postby watertrapper » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:31 am

I hit tons of stores in my area and couldn't find a bowl same diameter of the pot.....I did find a pot that would fit but it had curled edges, so i had to heat with a torch and pound flat with a hammer, that's were u see the discoloration, the outside of the stainless steel pot was coated to look brass so as i headed it up to pound out the curve and it burned off the patina. It pretty close to flat but not exact. I knew if i had issues that's were it would be. Thank you again..I'll make a gasket for around the pot and the lid to try and fix some of the irregularities in my pound it flat job,lol. But the PTFE tape in the pic is the right stuff?
watertrapper

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:32 am

Sorry, I guess I misread your post. Yes, you need a gasket between the bowl and the top of the pot. The clamps alone won't seal it against leaks. Another thing you can do - run a few wraps of ptfe tape around the edge of the pot top. I've done this before and others have as well - it works as well as a gasket.
S-Cackalacky

Postby JayD » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:34 am

you can also buy silicon mat of fleabay in various sizes, but it's not cheap.
JayD

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:36 am

The ptfe tape - I'm not familiar with that brand, but if it's for use as pipe thread sealer, it's probably fine.
S-Cackalacky

Postby watertrapper » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:42 am

Thank you again....with the amount of leakage i had i knew it was a recipe for disaster as I'm using propane. :puke-huge: . Will get gasket made asap. Wash at 1.0 and still fermenting, so hoping once again this weekend will be my first run. 2 weeks seems a long time for fermentation but i'm cheap and only keep house at 68 degrees. Guessing that why such a long ferment.
watertrapper

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:26 am

A little trick you might want to try - after a run, store your cardboard/ptfe gasket(s) between two plywood panels. Use spring clamps on the four sides to hold the panels together. Next time you use the gaskets, they will lay flat on the edge of the pot top. Trying to get a warped gasket to lay down while putting on the lid is something akin to a monkey screwing a football. Don't ask me how I know this.
S-Cackalacky

Postby shiner49er » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:46 pm

I use flat PTFE sheet for all my seals and gaskets.

http://flangegaskets.info/en/products/flange-gaskets/ptfe/#tab-3826

It's easy to cut, and works well.
Maybe a new gasket will help with the sealing?
shiner49er

Postby motormouth1162 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:43 am

Curious can't you go to parts house buy gasket material and cut out a pattern from that
motormouth1162

Return to Pot Stills