the modern distiller

brew pot

brew pot

Postby motormouth1162 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:26 am

Has any one ever used a brew pot to build a still and thumper out of just curious on how they would hold up to use thanks
motormouth1162

Re: brew pot

Postby JayD » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:50 am

I've always used old kegs. :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby motormouth1162 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm building my first still just collecting ideas saw a 20 gallon stainless steel brew pot looked like a good starter
motormouth1162

Postby Swedish Pride » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:04 pm

some do, seems to work fine, the biggest issue would be to get a good seal around the rim of the pot, but nothing flour paste would not be able to handle.
finding a strong lid or a bowl to fit can be a worry too.
If you already have it use it, if you were going to buy one I'd personally get a keg instead
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 pm

I have a small 5 gallon stock pot still with an inverted ss bowl for a lid. I use a custom made cardboard/ptfe gasket and binder clips to seal it up. It's electric with a 1" riser. The boiler is weldless and solderless. The fill port, drain, and heating element are all put together with 1" ss npt locknuts, ss washers, and ptfe washers (gaskets).

The downside is that the metal is much thinner than that of a beer keg. The weight of the riser and a liebig can cause the riser to lean at an angle. This can be somewhat mitigated by reinforcing the lid surface, or using a swan neck riser design. Like others have said, a keg is a much more robust and easier to build choice. In its simplest form, you could tri clamp a riser to an unaltered keg, put a propane burner under it, and do a run.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Bushman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:58 am

Just picked up these beauties, and I plan on building a Kentucky style copper frustum top to use with my neutrals for making gin and absinthe.
image.jpeg

They cleaned up really nice (not pictured). They are 5 gallon milk containers and with the copper top they should just be over 6 gallons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby motormouth1162 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:40 am

Cool information thanks all I've got a 20 gallon brew pot really sturdy thinking of converting it to my first build
motormouth1162

Return to Pot Stills