the modern distiller

First Run In New Still

First Run In New Still

Postby Steve3730 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:55 pm

After months of slowly gathering information and parts (and emptying a keg of beer :grin: ) We finally did our first stripping run in our new still. Our first still was a 5 gallon ClawHammer kit still and it worked great but doing 4 gallon at a time stripping runs sucked! I was really impressed with how this new still ran, it worked exactly how I had hoped it would when we planned it. We ran 22 gallons through it, 11 gallons in the first run opened the drain pulled out the back set and poured a fresh 11 gallons in through the fill port and heated her back up! Ran it at about 50% power and it took us about 8 hours from set up to clean up. So far I haven't found anything I would have done differently with this build. Only thing left to do is build a proper stand for it and add an on/off switch to the power controller
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve3730

Re: First Run In New Still

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:05 am

Nicely done. Should serve you well.
S-Cackalacky

Re: First Run In New Still

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:45 am

Second that. A good keg-based potstill with a copper-plumbing head is an excellent way to go.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Return to Pot Stills