the modern distiller

Alternative to bubble cap underneath packed column

Re: Alternative to bubble cap underneath packed column

Postby eXa » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Oh.. oops. I.. i, thought the first post disappeared because i hadnt activated my account yet. Sorry for the spam.
eXa

Postby Zombie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:16 pm

I've seen a few made w/ 4" bubble cap plates that measure about 10" or so high. I think you could easily build one w/ 4"x 2" adapters, and a 2" trap adapter for the sight glass.

The guys discussing the value of it are way smarter than me but figure ... Nine inches of packing is equal to two plates (roughly). BUT the surface area of the bubble cap, and therefore vapor to liquid contact (turn-down I think it's called) is greater, and vapor to liquid contact is the goal. I also think something like a dual flow plate above the bubble ball would help as well. Reason being it would allow some turn-down, and disperse the liquid onto the bubble plate (falling from the column) more evenly. :think:

Weather or not this is an advantage over plain packing... I think it has to be. Like one of the smart fellas pointed out it would effectively keep the lowest volatiles compressed in that section. Yes I also agree it would smear the whole run BUT that is the job of the rest of the column. To continuously drop those volatiles to the "trap".

I am very new to this so I may be wrong. Just 2 cents ;-)

Just had a PS moment... Maybe out of my pay grade but an external drain from that plates down-comer would end most all of the debate on the idea. That would maintain the ABV of the boiler, and remove the lowest volatiles as they are distilled. :confusion-shrug:

That makes four cents worth. :grin:

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby eXa » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:10 am

I thinking of making the bubblecap beneath the column out of this:
Flow sanitary sight glass
Just the 4" version. And with 2 4" tri-clamps, one welded to the tank and one with a 4" endcap. Just make a 2" hole in the endclamp and weld it to the 2" column.
eXa

Postby Zombie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:23 am

Sounds cool. I wasn't sure if you used Tri-clamps. I'd go broke in short order if I didn't make everything. :lol:

Too much shiny stuff out there for a guy like me. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Zombie

Postby eXa » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:49 am

Luckily there is alot of shiny stuff in china that isnt expensive :grin:
eXa

Postby Zombie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:52 am

Agreed, BUT... You have to be well aware of what you are getting. China Stainless is a 'pet peeve" of mine. It's mainly re-cycled S.S. from all over the world, and there is no A.N.S.A. to verify what is in their S.S.

I am in the marine trades so I know about cheap arse China steel. I think they magnetize babies, and send them crawling thru the bins to separate materials. Least that's what I heard...

Zombie

Previous

Return to Reflux & Packed Column