the modern distiller

VM splitter and column

VM splitter and column

Postby Nake » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:23 am

Ran a cleaning run today in the splitter 3 gal feints 7 gal of water.
Got 1.5 gal of nothing less than 92%
Really like the adjustability and the heads takeoff

I switched packing from 60" of copper mesh to two rolls of copper (6") and the rest lava rock. I need to play with this a little more. Big difference in how hard I could run and takeoff speed.

A little more fine tuning for the valve assembly, tweak the packing set up and work on the temp probe configuration and she will be ready for a big run.

Cheers
Nake

Here a vid of the reflux

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w337 ... 8dc7d9.mp4
3"Potstill
3" VM
3" VM Splitter
4" hybrid
Nake

Re: VM splitter and column

Postby Harry » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:01 am

Good stuff! PM sent.

Slainte!
regards Harry
Harry

Postby Nake » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:57 am

Thx Harry !
The thing I liked most about this setup was that I could increase the amount of reflux returning to the column when I got to my target ABV.
I opened the valve 3-4 turns, pulled product and checked my ABV.
When I was coming off my number I shut the valves down 1 turn and increased my power.
I would hold ABV and the reflux increased which I could see thru the sight glass.
As I got down to what I thought would be the end of the run I shut the valve down another turn. More reflux. I then turned up my power. Good takeoff.
When I finished I had 1 turn open on the product side and almost max reflux. Running 20 amps on my 240 v 5500 watt controller. I let it run until it stop flowing then shut off. I pulled nothing less than 92%. This was the first time I ran this thing. It works great with the lava rock,sight glass...

I have a couple items I want to play with but overall it was a good exercise.

3" column to 1.25" tee split to 2 1.25" sst globe valves.both valve handles move so I have visual as to where the valves are in relation to product takeoff and refluxproportion. I can't see myself opening the product side more than 3 turns now. That is how much reflux I need to hold high ABV. The RC side is cool as it compressed the heads and I can take them off from the opposite side of the product. When I finished I drained the RC and got about 2 oz of really nasty high proof. But The product i was pulling from the other side was virtually without smell. I think if you put a 200 ml vessel in line on the RC side you wouldn't have to takeoff heads they would collect in the vessel on the front of your run and just sit until you drained the condenser. Can't wait to run again! After I make my teaks of course. Very cool design. Fun to build and it should be very versitile with the herb trap I made.
3"Potstill
3" VM
3" VM Splitter
4" hybrid
Nake

Postby Nake » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:00 pm

minime wrote:Love the video Nake. Put a scrubber in there and you'll be surprised to see no reflux sheeting below the scrubber. It will all get sucked into the scrubber and the glass will be clean!

Good stuff! Love the splitter too......

I have some sst scrubbers coming. Don't think I will use copper again. It gave me fits up to this point. I will give the scrubber a try above the sight glass right below the reflux return. To see how it acts. I really like the visual feedback of the sight glass. Really helped me adjust.
3"Potstill
3" VM
3" VM Splitter
4" hybrid
Nake

Postby DrWho » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:39 am

Nake wrote:I switched packing from 60" of copper mesh to two rolls of copper (6") and the rest lava rock. I need to play with this a little more. Big difference in how hard I could run and takeoff speed.

I would imagine for the better. I've had success with lava rock, much better then scrubbies. Never ran mesh so don't know how it works out.

Nake wrote:I have some sst scrubbers coming. Don't think I will use copper again. It gave me fits up to this point. I will give the scrubber a try above the sight glass right below the reflux return. To see how it acts. I really like the visual feedback of the sight glass. Really helped me adjust.

Yes on the sight glass, mucho help in running the column. Nothing like being able to see how much reflux there is along with seeing flooding. Note that it is helpful to initially flood the column once reflux starts. This drives the last of the air out of the column and fully wets the packing.

Good job on the column upgrade. 8-)

???
DrWho

Postby Westsidesparky » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Looks like you might have to cut a hole in the ceiling if you do anymore modifications? :lol: :lol:

Nice looking rig!
Westsidesparky

Postby timmyjane » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:47 pm

DrWho wrote:
I would imagine for the better. I've had success with lava rock, much better then scrubies.

Yes on the sight glass, mucho help in running the column. Nothing like being able to see how much reflux there is along with seeing flooding. Note that it is helpful to initially flood the column once reflux starts. This drives the last of the air out of the column and fully wets the packing.

???

Please expand on this.
What is better about the rocks?
What does flooding look like?
How do you intentionally flood a column without pushing tails from too much power?
How do you correct a flooded state?

Thanks.
timmyjane

Postby Nake » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:04 pm

timmyjane wrote:
DrWho wrote:
I would imagine for the better. I've had success with lava rock, much better then scrubies.

???

Please expand on this.
What does flooding look like?
How do you intentionally flood a column without pushing tails from too much power?

Thanks.

if i might respond from a new guys perspective limited runs and exposure to limited packing material.
1) i feel like the vapor moves better up and down the column with the rock. the only thing i can compare it to is copper mesh
i think all of the nooks and crannies of the stone handles the vapor better and the hard structure moves it around better.
2) i dont think it ever actually flooded but as the takeoff slowed i would turn up the power to keep the volume similar. it never seemed to hit the wall or stop increasing take off at the desired abv. if it did come off the target abv i would adjust the amount of reflux returning to the packing.
3)i think to intentionally flood the column you would need to push the power high very early in the run. then when the off gassing settles back the power down.
4) after the off gas settled i backed the power off and went full reflux for another 30 min. it seemed like i pumped the column with the power then let it settle and then powered up in small increments until i got the takeoff volume at the desired abv.

in all my past runs with copper packing it seemed i like it was very fickle. never really felt like i could push much power and when things would heat up i could never really get the takeoff i was looking for. the stone seems alot more forgiving and maybe that is what i needed as my experience is limited. just my observations.thanks for the interest. hopefully it helps

regards,
nake
3"Potstill
3" VM
3" VM Splitter
4" hybrid
Nake

Postby DrWho » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:54 am

timmyjane wrote:
DrWho wrote:

???

Please expand on this.

A cleaner more consistent product and higher take off rates. Dirt cheap, or is that cheap as dirt/rock(?). Able to run at higher power levels then with scrubbers. Which increases reflux and allows for the faster take off rate.

timmyjane wrote:What does flooding look like?

A boiling frothing pool of liquid when viewed at the top of the packing. If you've seen Festers glass column with perf plates, like that. If the top of the column is wide open can also hear it.

timmyjane wrote:How do you intentionally flood a column without pushing tails from too much power?

Once reflux starts keep turning up the power until it floods. Then turn it down to the heads take off power level. Since this is done early in the run the stabilization period will flush everything else back down the column.

After a few runs you'll know exactly what power level to crank it up to and so on.

One thing that surprised me about the lava rock is how long it takes to dry it. Since I don't run often I rinse the column with hot water then dry it via heated forced air. The scrubbers dried in a short period of time, the lava rock takes a long time to dry.

It has to be holding a lot of liquid.

timmyjane wrote:Thanks.

Here are a couple of threads that show the lava rock along with some info on using it. Note that I'm going to add a few more pic's to the second link shortly.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=211&start=20
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=917&start=20

:text-welcomewave:

???
DrWho

Postby Nake » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Removed the copper mesh replaced with 4 sst scrubbers one below the reflux return to spread the liquid
Heres a vid of the reflux

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w337 ... 9980ab.mp4
3"Potstill
3" VM
3" VM Splitter
4" hybrid
Nake

Return to Reflux & Packed Column