the modern distiller

Updated my head today

Updated my head today

Postby timmyjane » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:47 am

I think im just about done with this thing now. Its been a progression. 2in column to 1in tee. External reflux 90d up below the VM branch at the sight glass. Upper valve controls vapor access to reflux condenser. Because of that valve I added a corked pressure relief on a 3/4 line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timmyjane

Re: Updated my head today

Postby Harry » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:20 am

Mate, that's a VERY dangerous way to set up the valves combo. There's a reason they should be ganged together so they move together as one. One opens while the other closes.IOW one path always leads to atmosphere, either through the product liebig, or through the vent on top of the reflux HX (you do have a vent, yes?)

If you have them able to operate independent, you could accidentally close them BOTH. Then the still goes INSTANTLY into over-pressure. Then BOOOOM.

Just a "heads-up". Murphy's Law says any thing that can go wrong, WILL go wrong. Stay safe.

EDIT Just saw the corked relief line. +1 on that. But ganging the valves is foolproof.
Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Postby timmyjane » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:08 pm

Harry wrote:EDIT Just saw the corked relief line. +1 on that. But ganging the valves is foolproof.

Indeed but that would require a complete reconfiguration that I didnt have time for...today...:)
timmyjane

Postby Nake » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Tj,
I like it. While I appreciate the safety concerns. I ran my splitter on monday night and thought it would be nice For educational purposes, to disconnect the valve and run them indendently. I put a vapor lock on the reflux side of my splitter but You could use a u shaped copper assembly to make a vapor lock in the critical junction where if the valves were both closed it could still vent. Then just pour water in it to keep the vapor in and let the n2 and co 2 out and any high pressure scenarios. It keeps the smell down too. If I might add polished copper is cool looking ;-)
3"Potstill
3" VM
3" VM Splitter
4" hybrid
Nake

Return to Reflux & Packed Column