the modern distiller

Interesting news from Poland ...

Re: Interesting news from Poland ...

Postby sweden » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:46 am

Thanks for share al this info with us :smile:
I feel this is your first time to run a maskin with automatic right? I done this few years and know many things about it, am no expert but know some yes ;-

You take out the heads first yes and then stablies thats fine :smile: ,, but even you have the most smal valv in the world it will come with some heads from the mesh thats what a belive if you not have heads remover in the top off the colomn

and about valv 0,02mm its even smaler valvs in the market ;-) , but 0,02 is impresiv yes :smile: but you cant almost get eny thing out with 0,5-1 mm

here is a valv with 0,005 mm

http://www.aalborg.com/index.php/main_p ... verview/29
Last edited by sweden on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweden

Postby Stinger » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:20 am

Odin,
:text-thankyoublue: for the replies.

I shall ask no more questions until you've had a chance to work through all the tests you have planned. - You're a busy man right now - and maybe we're diverting you from these tests. :text-imsorry:
Stinger

Postby Odin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:05 pm

No problem, it is good to share.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby Odin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:05 am

The carbon filter actually works. I always thought carbon filtering works best at 40 to 50%, but 95% doesn't seem to be any problem. It works as good as filtering at 40 to 50% if not better. Turned some vodka into a neutral. Did a lot of tests the last few days. I think I have this baby worked out. Updates soon. First dinner and a decent night's sleep!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby jake_leg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:11 am

Odin wrote:It stabilizes and draws off big time. Hence a short run for only minutes. 0.1 liters collected. Then it restabilizes for like 2 to 3 minutes and it has a go at it again. Thinkin something like "what if we would close the needle valve from position 24 (open) to say 16?" It does that and temps at the bottom of the column stay low much longer and azeo (within set parameters) are maintained longer. 0.2 liters on take two. Another 2 minutes of stabilization and another decision to be made. It went to opening setting 12 and got out 0.6 liters of azeo. Now it is doing 0.7 liters in a take. And restabilization seems to be getting shorter and shorter.

Minime is right I think, this method of operation makes it seem likely that the needle valve is not under proportional control. If the valve was properly dialled in under proportional control I think it should be dribbling out a little bit all the time. Given what Odin has said I am guessing it is a cheaper motorized needle valve.

I am very encouraged to hear this because I have a big motorized ball valve that I want to use for VM. I can't achieve proportional control with it, but I can dial in an aperture setting to some limited degree. So I'll probably try a similar program, alternating between on and off and updating the aperture setting each time.

Great stuff Odin, keep it coming!
jake_leg

Postby Bushman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:09 am

Real interesting, I saw the initial pictures but can't grasp in my mind how this would be set-up, does a close up give any details?
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby Odin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:10 am

Yes, Minimi was on the right track. This is just how an automated rig works. Fill the column with as much alcohol as possible, maintain azeotropic temps at take off point and collect. The valve management I think is proportional. It starts with a first draw wide open and then - based on how long it could collect and what the temps are at the bottom of the column after some extra restabilization - calculates a new opening. Usually less open. And when it collects and collection stays within the set parameters, the valve opens 1 or two steps more ...

I must say, the learning curve is steep. For the rig and for me. In the beginning, at the first run, I collected 0.1 liters on "take" one and after a few minutes of restabilization 0.2 liters. Near the middle and end of that first distillation curve, it "took" like 0.7 liters. The setting for the distillation was "stay within 0.1 degrees of azeo temp". It gave me 95%.

Now over to last night and my last run so far. I decided to allow the rig some more tollerance and used the factory setting of 0.3 degrees. I expected a higher speed of collection at the cost of a slightly lower abv.

This is what happened. It took giant steps all of a sudden. Producing between 1.75 and 1.2 liters (near the end of the run) in one take. Drop in abv? No actually a rise. 96%+. The factory setting must be closer to its sweet spot of operation.

Heads are compressed in such a way that I thought something was amiss. I calculated less than 6%. Column stabilization is quick. Temp drops in the top of the column for about 22 to 23 minutes. Just to be sure, I use a 30 minutes setting for stabilization.

You can collect as long as you want. Needle valve settings just close slowly to maintain azeo take off temps. I liked the rig to stop at 98.5 degrees temps-in at the bottom of the column. Very clean hearts. I could have continued some more, but I felt that output became so slow it was not worth it. After the rig's auto shut down. I started up the pot still function right away, gave it another 10 minutes of stabilization and drew off some tails until temps at the top were like 82/83 degrees. Amazing concentration of tastes. Just 0.2 to 0.4 liters. Above 83 degrees: also an amazing taste, but amazing in the way that it is really, really bad. This is when the really bad congeners come over.

A neutral wash of 10 or 18%? The rig will get you to azeo in one run. No need to filter. A stronger tasting UJ or AG (rye, corn ,barley, wheat, whatever) will give you a great tasting vodka. With a taste of the grain it is made from. You want that tasty beer to be a neutral? Use the filter. Even at 95% it does an amazing job. I thought carbon filtration was best at around 45%, but 95% seems to make it more effective if anything.

Water usage is between 25 and 30 liters per hour. I think you can manage with less, but I like the temps low, like 21 to 22 degrees C max. Now, it can still do its job with cooling temps up to 65 degrees C, so less water usage should not be difficult to obtain.

What happens above 65 degrees C water temp (measured at the top of the column condenser)? It auto shuts down. And when you want to start her up again, it will be more critical: temps need to be below 45 degrees and dropping. If you have like 42 degrees C, right after an auto shut down due to lack of cooling, and temp goes up by a degree, it shuts down again. Safe.

How I know? I threw quite some nasty tests at her. Just to mimick whatever can go wrong. So yes, I distilled and decided to close the cooling. The fail safe that is build in works. Just so we know.

Now this is a rig with electronics. They are build to last, but I tested that as well. I threw 0.2 liters of water at the computer. No problemo. I also decided to completely flood the column, using the cleaning port for the column. Stop distilling, connect the cleaning hose. don't open the drain, fill her up until the water spurts out of the hole in the top. Now drain boiler and column and start her up. Everything worked just fine.

At first I was a bit afraid: will the automatic design not take part of the fun away? My experience: the automation adds a dimension. You are still the one to think out: now how shall I approach this recipe? Neutral, vodka, pure whiskey, rum ... And you decide on stabilization times, operation parameters, tolerances, cut off points, etc. Or when you are a compleat noob: just run as she is set to go.

I know I found my future in distilling and it is automated for sure. Just sitting next to the rig,listening to it, reading the temps-in, temps-take-off, temps-azeo, temps-water, seeing things change, thinking about what's happening. It is distilling with benefits. Well, that's how I experienced working with it.

Odin.
Odin

Postby Odin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:11 am

Bushman wrote:Real interesting, I saw the initial pictures but can't grasp in my mind how this would be set-up, does a close up give any details?

What info are you looking for, Bushman?

Odin.
Odin

Postby Odin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:45 pm

Yeah, she runs like a champ in more than one way. With settings as is, it will make easy booz for a whole new generation of people interested in drinks and distilling. For the masters of the art it allows for enough parameters and decisions to play with to make a world class drink and add a dimension to distilling.

It doesn't make distilling a dull thing.

Took the "proof to prove" last night so to say. Sipped down some vodkas. And then some more. Pleasant taste, some rye on the backround spicing things up a little bit. Now I am very prone (if that is the word) to hangovers. Ever since I make my own, my body seems to have become more & more critical. So if I just drink a few glasses of wine or beer, or just one store bought whiskey or gin, I can feel less than 100% well, the next morning. Well, after 5 voddies,I woke up like a dream this morning. And that's on a run where I threw all the bad stuff in, taking very ambitious (small) cuts for heads and ran her 'til 98.5 degrees.

This is now my prefered procedure for making world class drinks without use of the filtering device:
- Set menu to 0.3 degrees and 30 minutes of stabilization and end temp of 98.5 degrees C;
- Fores setting on 78.5 degrees C;
- Heat up, equilibrium, fores are thrown out (and can be thrown away);
- Stabilization for 30 minutes, steady drop in temps at upper part of the column for 22, 23 minutes.
- First take is discarded into the heads container for later redistilling;
- Push the "stop" button, change menu settings to "stabilization time 10 minutes";
- Push the "start" button so it picks up again with another swift drain that can be added to the fores container;
- Then switch to normal product collection.

For those just entering the art of distilling or thinking turbos are a good thing (and we might frown upon them, but there is a whole world out there that uses them - and essences as well): do use the filter and only do one stabilization period of 15 minutes. In other words: just use factory settings.

More interesting things to come? Yes. I already have a catalyst. An extra extension with copper SPP that can be added to the lower part of the column. For sulphate control. No indication it is needed, but maybe for those running fruit washes? Anyhow, it is there. And I expect some new SPP to arrive early next week. More news? Well, some bigger special projects coming up. And things like a water jacketed boiler. Integrated into the automation & controls of the computer off course.

Keep y'all posted,
Odin.
Odin

Postby Stinger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:41 pm

:text-goodpost:Odin. Thanks for a thorough write-up.

It looks like there are a fair number of user selectable choices. - I’d like to know more about the “Pot Still Function” and its operation, - what’s selectable and how it impacts the type of product.

When you refer to heads being <6%, does this include foreshots?

To by-pass the filter, do you simply remove the silicone takeoff tube from the bottom of the carbon filter tube and re-connect it at the solenoid-electro valve?

Automatic adjustment of coolant flow to compensate for the periodic addition of ice to a recirculating cooling system would definitely appeal to those using expensive/scarce/metered/well water.

VERY nice to have all those built-in safety features too. You can't ever have too many.

My impression so far is that this is a well-thought-out rig. Are you ready to say this is definitely a go for your participation in marketing them? What additional tests/runs are in the works?
Stinger

Postby Odin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Stinger wrote::text-goodpost:Odin. Thanks for a thorough write-up.

It looks like there are a fair number of user selectable choices. - I’d like to know more about the “Pot Still Function” and its operation, - what’s selectable and how it impacts the type of product.

When you refer to heads being <6%, does this include foreshots?

To by-pass the filter, do you simply remove the silicone takeoff tube from the bottom of the carbon filter tube and re-connect it at the solenoid-electro valve?

Automatic adjustment of coolant flow to compensate for the periodic addition of ice to a recirculating cooling system would definitely appeal to those using expensive/scarce/metered/well water.

VERY nice to have all those built-in safety features too. You can't ever have too many.

My impression so far is that this is a well-thought-out rig. Are you ready to say this is definitely a go for your participation in marketing them? What additional tests/runs are in the works?

Thanks Stinger,

Pot still is funny. I thought it would just be: heat up, take off. But it is a bit more complicated than that. Well, not more complicated, 'cause the automation does it for you. Just different than I expected.

So you go to the controls (computer with screen), you push start. You then get some Q's. Like indirect or direct heating (so you can also use a water jacketed boiler). And: do you want to use a potstill or stabilization program. The later meaning you go fractionate. Another Q: do you want to use the filter?

Stinger, you don't have to switch tubes. It changes based on the settings you choose (hey, you can even pot distill with the filter on if you wish). If you choose "with filter" it will throw out the fores by means of the non-filter outlet valve, then switch to filtering. If you choose to work without the filter, it just collects thru the non-filter outlet valve.

But when you made a choice, it sticks with that. If you want to change, though, that is very easy. Push "stop", push "menu", change what you like, which will take a minute max and of you go again.

The 6% was fores included, I think. Fores would be another 0.1 to 0.2 liters, so it don't matter that much I think.

Back to potdistilling. You can set a fores drain temp. Let's say 79 degrees. You can set an end temp. Let's say 95 degrees (just giving some numbers out of the blue). You then set stabilization time. Huh? Stabilization on a potstill? Yes, to wetten the SPP. That seems to be important.

Funny thing is, like this, with for instance 30 minutes (or actually anything over 23 minutes) of stabilization, it creates full stacking and azeo temps at the top. This allows you to potstill ... but take out fores in a very concentrated form. And if you do like me and up the fores temp a bit (from 78.5 to 79 degrees), you can even discard some pretty well stacked heads as well. I guess by putting in higher temps for "fores" you can pretty much get the whole headsy department out in one go.

Any input on how we should set pot settings would be great! I plan (hope) to run an UJ on monday or tuesday, so lets find out. What would good temp settings be for heads removal and tails cut? On a potstill setting? O, in potstill mode it wont restabilize and stack the column. It will just do that one first stabilization and go towards pot distilling from there.

My first impressions is that, as a potstill, it does not really give you that many re-distillations. Lets find out, but for now, my guess would be like 1.5?

Water is controlled by an on/off selonoid valve with temp measuring at the top of the column cooler. So the water inlet is not proportional. Reason is that temp of water in and water pressure would make the rig much more complicated. What I do is use the leever (?) to adjust water in. Water out is always open 100%.

I think this is a great rig and I will start marketing it. Just last night we had 4 inquiries already. I will try to put the website up (first edition) by monday. Things that I am thinking about changing are: including an extra silicon tube for the non-filter outlet. Now I change glasses, but that is not needed. Just the extra 3 feet of tubing won't make a difference in costs, but will add to the versatility. And I can't help but wonder that we might need an automated program for the "making world class likker" procedure. On the other hand, I am not done playing with for instance fores temps definitions. And I think the people who really dive into the art of making azeo will not care for "my" setting. They will think that for them, in their experience, parameter X or Y should still be 0.1 degree up or down. In other words: as long as the rig allows to play with all of those values (and I think it does),that might be a better way to satisfy high end users.

From that perspective: there is nothing automated about making those decisions. You tell the rig to work in a way and it does it. But the strategy, the tactics,the thinking ... it is all yours.

Feedback appreciated.

Odin.
Odin

Postby sweden » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 pm

the machine is very nice bild but still it not make clean pure alcohol

A neutral wash of 10 or 18%? The rig will get you to azeo in one run. No need to filter. A stronger tasting UJ or AG (rye, corn ,barley, wheat, whatever) will give you a great tasting vodka. With a taste of the grain it is made from. You want that tasty beer to be a neutral? Use the filter. Even at 95% it does an amazing job. I thought carbon filtration was best at around 45%, but 95% seems to make it more effective if anything.

So thanks for share al this info with us :smile: I stil prefer pure neutral vodka direkt out from maskin with eny filter

As I
told al here - you nead have 1 heads column + colector to make pure neutral vodka / thats it!

Thanks again for share this with us and a wish you al the best to sale this
sweden

Postby Odin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi Sweden,

I know that's your take on it and I thank you very much for sharing. But we concluded earlier you run neutral washes. A neutral wash can be turned into a neutral drink with the iStill without any filtering. No heads column needed if you dial in the programming correctly!But that's just my take on it! ;)

Odin.
Odin

Postby Odin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:12 pm

I know Minime, that's my take on it as well. A heads trap might add, but I read that it will runs for hours and hours. And it will make the whole set-up much more complicated. The whole take on "can a rig take a 10% wash to 96% in one run?" is not saying that much. Any rig should be able to do that or it cannot be called a true fractionating distilling apparatus. My humble opinion. The central Q is do you want that? I personally love to strip because it gives me a true knowledge on what abv will go into the boiler. Just to make correct calculations. And because somehow I like my runs that are about purity/neutrality to be ran "without yeast or residuals". Not saying it cannot be done otherwise, not saying it is needed on an automated rig, but that's what makes me happy. To each his own.

Odin.
Odin

Postby Stinger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Odin wrote:Thanks Stinger,

Pot still is funny. I thought it would just be: heat up, take off. But it is a bit more complicated than that. Well, not more complicated, 'cause the automation does it for you. Just different than I expected.

So you go to the controls (computer with screen), you push start. You then get some Q's. Like indirect or direct heating (so you can also use a water jacketed boiler). And: do you want to use a potstill or stabilization program. The later meaning you go fractionate. Another Q: do you want to use the filter?

Stinger, you don't have to switch tubes. It changes based on the settings you choose (hey, you can even pot distill with the filter on if you wish). If you choose "with filter" it will throw out the fores by means of the non-filter outlet valve, then switch to filtering. If you choose to work without the filter, it just collects thru the non-filter outlet valve.

But when you made a choice, it sticks with that. If you want to change, though, that is very easy. Push "stop", push "menu", change what you like, which will take a minute max and of you go again.

The 6% was fores included, I think. Fores would be another 0.1 to 0.2 liters, so it don't matter that much I think.

Back to potdistilling. You can set a fores drain temp. Let's say 79 degrees. You can set an end temp. Let's say 95 degrees (just giving some numbers out of the blue). You then set stabilization time. Huh? Stabilization on a potstill? Yes, to wetten the SPP. That seems to be important.

Funny thing is, like this, with for instance 30 minutes (or actually anything over 23 minutes) of stabilization, it creates full stacking and azeo temps at the top. This allows you to potstill ... but take out fores in a very concentrated form. And if you do like me and up the fores temp a bit (from 78.5 to 79 degrees), you can even discard some pretty well stacked heads as well. I guess by putting in higher temps for "fores" you can pretty much get the whole headsy department out in one go.

For emulating a "Pot Still" run, I was thinking of the possibility that it could be set up to remove foreshots ONLY into a jar on the small shelf. I like the idea of automatic fores removal.

The heads, hearts, and tails could then be collected in the traditional manner (heads and tails collected in small jars for later blending of selected jars with hearts). The unused heads and tails would be saved for adding to future runs of the same type.

Of course, I'm still open to the possibility of a fully automated collection in 'Pot Mode". I'm just not sure whether we might lose some of the desirable heads and tails we use when manually blending them back into our product.

Odin wrote:Any input on how we should set pot settings would be great! I plan (hope) to run an UJ on monday or tuesday, so lets find out. What would good temp settings be for heads removal and tails cut? On a potstill setting? O, in potstill mode it wont restabilize and stack the column. It will just do that one first stabilization and go towards pot distilling from there.

I can't help you there, it's a long time since I used a thermometer when pot-stilling and the old memory ain't what it once was. :oops:

Odin wrote:My first impressions is that, as a potstill, it does not really give you that many re-distillations. Lets find out, but for now, my guess would be like 1.5?

Water is controlled by an on/off selonoid valve with temp measuring at the top of the column cooler. So the water inlet is not proportional. Reason is that temp of water in and water pressure would make the rig much more complicated. What I do is use the leever (?) to adjust water in. Water out is always open 100%.

I think this is a great rig and I will start marketing it. Just last night we had 4 inquiries already. I will try to put the website up (first edition) by monday. Things that I am thinking about changing are: including an extra silicon tube for the non-filter outlet. Now I change glasses, but that is not needed. Just the extra 3 feet of tubing won't make a difference in costs, but will add to the versatility. And I can't help but wonder that we might need an automated program for the "making world class likker" procedure. On the other hand, I am not done playing with for instance fores temps definitions. And I think the people who really dive into the art of making azeo will not care for "my" setting. They will think that for them, in their experience, parameter X or Y should still be 0.1 degree up or down. In other words: as long as the rig allows to play with all of those values (and I think it does),that might be a better way to satisfy high end users.
Odin.

The more I read, the more I like. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Odin wrote:From that perspective: there is nothing automated about making those decisions. You tell the rig to work in a way and it does it. But the strategy, the tactics,the thinking ... it is all yours.

Feedback appreciated.

Stinger

Postby Odin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:36 pm

And just to give some extra information on shipping costs ...

To Canada shipping an iStill 50 will cost EUR 160,-. That's 210 Canadian Dollars. Currently looking into shipping costs to the US of A, South-Africa and Australia.

More info later.

Edit: Stinger: your collect glass by glass is perfectly possible. In potstill mode or in fractionating mode ... You might save up heads to add to future potstill runs or you can add them to a fractionating run or ... whatever you want actually.

Odin.
Odin

Postby Odin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Okay, we made some calculations and decisions on shipping costs for the iStill 50 and iStill 50 Base models:
- To Western-Europe and Scandinavia: EUR 100,-
- To North-America: EUR 150,-
- To Eastern-Europe and Russia: EUR 150,-
- To South- and Middle-America: EUR 180,-
- To Africa and Asia: EUR 180,-
- To Indonesia, Australia and New-Zealand: EUR 200,-

Price on the iStill 50 will be EUR 1,995.- with a special introductory price until July 2013 of EUR 1.895,-. The manually operated iStill Base will sell for EUR 1,295.-.

Hope this info helps.

Odin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Odin

Postby sweden » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:51 pm

For real neutral........strip, rectify, rectify.

For real neautral its fake neutral and real neutral?

Its 1 neutral thats it if you not get 100% pure from machine

If you have bild a machine who take out PURE clean neutral direkt out from machine and then mix it with water yu will understand what I mean by say neutral ;-)

To bild a machine like this is no problem,, you can do this with old earc version or vm with ballvalv and take out slowly

Just say - when you have bild a machine who get out total clean alcohol you not want eny else machine and this stripping way I never ever understand :? Thats just 1 more step in the process

But I most give this polen guy :handgestures-thumbupright: for the very good tech in machine and the controll unit function , very cool :handgestures-thumbupright:
sweden

Postby sweden » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 am

Sure ;-)
sweden

Postby Bushman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:38 am

Odin, if you are selling you should probably start a new thread in the commercial section as this thread is starting to wonder in many directions from its start! Just saying ;-)

I do like the chart pricing, it's easy to read!
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

Bushman

Postby Odin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:15 am

I think that is a very good suggestion, Bushman! In fact, when the website is ready, I will do just that.

Okay, since we are wandering off anyhow, some more news I personally find very exciting: I'll have the version with the water jacketed bath/au bain marie in, in just a few weeks.

I guess you all know how much I am in to distilling on the grain ... given taste, given Dutch traditional genever making ... that's like a dream come true.

Keep you all posted. From the commercial section and on other places!

Odin.
Odin

Postby Stinger » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:57 am

sweden wrote:the machine is very nice bild but still it not make clean pure alcohol

Your definition of vodka and of neutral may also differ from mine. For me, a good vodka has a hint of rye or wheat (or whatever floats your boat) while a neutral has no discernible taste.

Based on what Odin is saying, this still is capable of producing vodka without carbon filtering. It is also reassuring that this still can take a 23% turbo and produce "tasteless" neutral - where there is NO taste that I WANT to remain. This being the case, the still meets ALL my needs and expectations.

Odin,

I shall look forward to seeing your new website, learning more about the water jacketed version - although I'm most interested in the one you're working with - and your further work with UJ. I've started working on SWAMBO, but I've spent a lot on this hobby lately - so an immediate purchase is unlikely.

Keep up the good work on testing and reporting back. I see an iStill sometime in my not-too-distant future. ;-)
Stinger

Postby Odin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks Punkin and Stinger,

Stinger, we will have that drink when you are over. And you will have a go at using this rig, if you didn't buy it before you come over. I am looking forward to it.

Punkin, we are shipping different parts as well. In one box a column that fits perfectly on a 4 liter boiler. In the other box there's a boiler for making beer. In the third one some parts.

Odin.
Odin

Postby sweden » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Stinger wrote:
sweden wrote:the machine is very nice bild but still it not make clean pure alcohol

Your definition of vodka and of neutral may also differ from mine. For me, a good vodka has a hint of rye or wheat (or whatever floats your boat) while a neutral has no discernible taste.

Based on what Odin is saying, this still is capable of producing vodka without carbon filtering. It is also reassuring that this still can take a 23% turbo and produce "tasteless" neutral - where there is NO taste that I WANT to remain. This being the case, the still meets ALL my needs and expectations.

Odin,

I shall look forward to seeing your new website, learning more about the water jacketed version - although I'm most interested in the one you're working with - and your further work with UJ. I've started working on SWAMBO, but I've spent a lot on this hobby lately - so an immediate purchase is unlikely.

Keep up the good work on testing and reporting back. I see an iStill sometime in my not-too-distant future. ;-)

I dont think you guys ever taste 100% pure 95,6 % direkt out from a machine , becuse if you done that you not want have another machine. Just try bild one and you guys see what am talking about. To bild a machine with much take out and good quality thats no problem to bild for sure. But try bild 1 machine with much take out and total pure machine then say what you think about it ;-)

I bild so many machines over the years and with much speed and good quality, but when I lern how to bild with arc funtion I never bild this old machines again, why bild that when you can get total clean direkt from a machine? I dont get the point?

So now I just experiment with arc and improve the arc to make it beter,, have some ides do make it work even beter. :smile: . you dont want to bild the wheel again when its alredy done right?
sweden

Postby Stinger » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Odin wrote:Thanks Punkin and Stinger,

Stinger, we will have that drink when you are over.....

It's a date - about 12 months from now, I hope! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I like the fact that this machine is based on the simple, straight-forward LM design, applying fine control to maintain constant azeotrope. - Can't beat the KISS approach. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Even though they are not simple, electronics usually prove to be durable in the longer term.
I'm now looking forward to your further adventures with UJ and pot still mode. AND the new website. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Stinger

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:55 am

+1 Punkin :handgestures-thumbupright:
FullySilenced

Postby Stinger » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:24 am

Very nice write-up and conclusion over on http://istillblog.wordpress.com/
This looks like a winner to me. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Stinger

Postby Odin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:09 am

punkin wrote:You've made your point and said your piece,
Time to let it go please.

Pure Punkin Poetry!

:lol:

Odin
Odin

Postby Odin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:40 am

For Stinger (and others interested in potdistilling): I just started a batch of some 40 liters of 10% UJ (wheat/rye) and feints. In potstill mode. I will keep you posted.

Odin.
Odin

Postby Odin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:24 am

Quick update, more info tomorow. Too busy. First liter in 7 minutes, second in 11 minutes, third in 11 minutes, fourth in 13 minutes, fifth in 13 minutes. Pretty amazing. Between 9 and 4.5 liters per hour. Tasre and blending tomorow.
Odin

Postby FullySilenced » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 am

The way i read it Tasre is already going on .... :obscene-drinkingcheers:
FullySilenced

Postby Odin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 am

No, is due to iphone typing. :)
Odin

Postby Odin » Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 am

Just hurted my arm big time. And tomorrow I will have to drive 900 miles ... o shit.

Summary on speed: 4.5 liter collection rate per hour. Bit more.

More details of the potstill run:

http://istillblog.wordpress.com/wp-admi ... ostpost=v2

Odin.
Odin

Postby FullySilenced » Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 am

More worried about details on your arm :-o ... making sure your ok ... :confusion-confused:
FullySilenced

Postby Odin » Wed May 01, 2013 1:47 am

In the hospital as we speak ...
Odin

Postby FullySilenced » Wed May 01, 2013 2:36 am

Do you think you broke the arm ... or did you cut yourself? torn shoulder ligaments?
FullySilenced

Postby Jimbo » Wed May 01, 2013 3:20 am

Damn! What the heck did you do Od? Hope all is well!
People make wort, yeast make beer.
Jimbo

Postby Odin » Wed May 01, 2013 4:55 am

Just back from the hospital. Turns out I damaged two sinews/strings (?) in my shoulder. Due to mall treatment they swell up and do not fit in their sockets (?) any more. You know, the place between two of the shoulder bone where those strings run. This hurts like hell. Like when I move my shoulder, I get hit by lightning. Which is strange, because at the same time the light actually seems to go out.

"And," the doctor said, "it will hurt like hell for another weak before it will grow any less."

So it is Dyclophenac to keep the pain under control.

Doesn't seem to work.

Which makes me wonder how it would feel without the Dyclo.

Tried to give an update on pot still functionality on my Blog. Typing with the right hand only is not easy.

I must have twisted my arm and shoulder when I climbed out of the window. Why? Don't start me. I have made a drain for the still. Thru the wall into a rain pipe. Wanted to collect some backset and decided to take it from the draining point. Climbed out with a bucket. No problem. Climbed back in and twisted the shoulder.

If you are familiair with the term "tennis arm", her she is: "Odin has a distilling arm".

F*ck it.

Odin.
Odin

Postby chill » Thu May 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Ouch! Odin, I think that "tendon" is the English word you are looking for. Let it rest and heal.

Chuck
chill

Postby Odin » Fri May 03, 2013 2:31 am

Just went to the hospital again. Tendon is not the problem. Rontgen showed part of the shoulder bone broke off and is now embedded in the muscle tissue. Need an mri and surgery. Nothing big. But this rxplains the excruciating pain I have.

Odin.
Odin

Postby Bushman » Fri May 03, 2013 2:54 am

Take care and avoid heavy lifting!

Bushman

Postby Jimbo » Fri May 03, 2013 4:19 am

Damn! You need more Beer and less Genever in your diet. Well, ok, more beer and no changes to the genever intake. Beer has some calcium and other minerals good for them bones :D

Get well!
People make wort, yeast make beer.
Jimbo

Postby heartcut » Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 am

Sorry about your misfortune, Odin. Hope it gets better soon. At least you're expert at making pain relieving liquid.
heartcut

The reason lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place is that the same place isn't there the second time.
Willie Tyler
heartcut

Postby F6Hawk » Fri May 03, 2013 6:39 am

Dang, Odin, sorry to hear about your shoulder. I am suffering from bursitis in mine, MRI hopefully soon to see if surgery is needed. Damn, but it sucks getting old!
F6Hawk

Postby Stinger » Fri May 03, 2013 10:25 am

F6Hawk wrote:.....Damn, but it sucks getting old!

I couldn't agree more F6H. But, unlike us, Odin is a few years away from "Grand-Fatherhood" :grin:
Take Care & Get well Odin. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Stinger

Postby Odin » Sat May 04, 2013 1:35 am

Thanx guys. I am drinking that beer right now!

Odin
Odin

Postby the Doctor » Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 am

Take care mate sorry to hear about your shoulder.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby emptyglass » Mon May 06, 2013 1:22 am

Well done Odin.

Only problem I see is that by the 2.00 hr mark, I would have stepped on the smart phone.

Good job, its amazing what you guys under the sea come up with. If you could program it to make coffee in the morning, I'd have one!

Seriously, good job mate. I challenge any knockers to go a step better.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby Odin » Mon May 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Working on that ...

Odin.
Odin

Postby black sheep » Mon May 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Odin wrote:Just went to the hospital again. Tendon is not the problem. Rontgen showed part of the shoulder bone broke off and is now embedded in the muscle tissue. Need an mri and surgery. Nothing big. But this rxplains the excruciating pain I have.

Odin.

Damn Odin,

seems I've got to read modern distiller more often to know how you are!!
Hope It's getting better by now?
Henk

Ambachtelijk Destilleerderij Nes (Artisan Distillery Nes)
To conquer death, you only have to die
http://www.destilleerderijnes.nl
https://www.facebook.com/DestilleerderijNes?sk=wall
black sheep

Location: Ameland (small island on the north of The Netherlands)

PreviousNext

Return to Reflux & Packed Column