the modern distiller

Interesting news from Poland ...

Re: Interesting news from Poland ...

Postby Odin » Mon May 27, 2013 5:28 pm

Well, I need surgury, and things progress at a very slow rate. But I can use my shoulder even though I have to be careful.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby hard times » Tue May 28, 2013 2:03 am

Sorry you're having shoulder problems Odin.
Go slow and careful till you get healed.
Funny how the simplest movement can cause such
a agonizing injury.
Getting older is such a joy :roll:
Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Postby chill » Tue May 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Getting old is not for the faint of heart! My father assures me that it only gets worse.
chill

Postby Odin » Tue May 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Guys, I am not even 45 ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby FullySilenced » Tue May 28, 2013 8:46 pm

44.99999999999999999 years old but not 45 :grin:
FullySilenced

Postby Bushman » Wed May 29, 2013 12:25 am

A true God doesn't age!
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby black sheep » Thu May 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Bushman wrote:A true God doesn't age!

Yep, and Odin was a true god, only in the old Netherlands he was called Wodan
Henk

Ambachtelijk Destilleerderij Nes (Artisan Distillery Nes)
To conquer death, you only have to die
http://www.destilleerderijnes.nl
https://www.facebook.com/DestilleerderijNes?sk=wall
black sheep

Location: Ameland (small island on the north of The Netherlands)

Postby Odin » Thu May 30, 2013 5:04 pm

Guess I ain't that true a god after all, then!

Odin.
Odin

Postby sweden » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Odin wrote:When is a hobby turning into an obsssion. Dunno exactly. But when I find myself behind my computer at 3 o'clock in the morning, staring at screens, trying to make sense out of this batch like draw off and diving into all the posts on automated stills, without having had a drink for hours ... I guess that's the moment when that happens.

Just to explain myself: it is the "for hours without a drink" that scared me most. You got that already, right?

:lol:

The washes you do, Sweden, I can turn into good vodka's with a pot still. I do not mean that in any offensive way. Just stating I did. At the beginning of my stillin' career. Mighty impressive! Three runs thru my 4 liter airstill. Taking cuts at each run. Took it to the family in law and we compared it with Prince Eristov Vodka. Mine won. So happy and proud. Year later. Marriage. People drinking my whiskey, genever ... and vodka. Vodka? Did I make vodka? "No, but some was left from last year". I took a glass and thought ... rotgut?!? F*ck! I didn't make that!. My distilling evolved from pot to fractionating and so did my taste.

Sweed, just to cut a long story short: if that's the washes you are using ... I will use a similar wash in a short time. In my fractionating old style CM they turn into pretty darn good neutrals. But I distill twice. Potstill first so the abv is higher and I can collect a bit faster. With this new rig, I will do it in one run and I am confident it will do a better job at it then my CM, given its not too good heads compression.

Telling more about the steps? A bit. No technician. It takes steps of 0.02 millimeter. That sounds impressive to me. But I have no experience with needle valves, so that's maybe just me. I think 24 is open, so 12 is half open. "0" should be closed. Haha, and you liked the movies? My friend you have seen nothing yet. Or at least you have heard nothing yet. This is fun, sitting here. You can hear valves opening, clicking. First time the water selenoid kicked in, I jumped half a meter in the air. Sounds like that, when distilling manually (now that's old school!) :lol: ... mean you are in trouble. But here ... it is just the higher management getting into gear.

The other number is a potentiometer (?), I think. It is just there to monitor that the stepper motor is working. Something like that.

Minime, I think an on/of selenoid would be way to crude. Hmm ... almost sounds like I am the expert here ... Not. No problem you were out to lunch. The fun is in "getting it". Lunches are sometimes needed. ;)

Stinger, nothing special. I will post it some time soon. I thought to bring wash nutrients in by vits & mins. Just what the yeast needs. No more. I then thought of some boiled yeast for ... proteins? Or maybe somebody told me to not forget about that. Yeah, that was it.

I have been playing around with a 14% recipe. Per 10 liters 1 multivit (you know, the 100% of your daily requirement) and 0.5 b-vit and one spoon of boiled yeast. Sugar, water, yeast as well. Funny thing was it smelled a bit sulphury in the beginning, but now it smells like a chardonay white wine. Problem is ... it is fermenting for almost 4 weeks now. Okay, cold conditions, but I am thinking there is some preservative stuff in the vits.

I did this because I don't like TPW. I feel my close to neutral an all bran is great, tastewise. And I actually like A48 turned into a neutral. But TPW ... feels so "dead" to me. That's why I journied into developing a recipe of my own. For whiskey or rye, you could try my Cornflakes Whiskey or Odins Rye Whiskey. That later one is the one I did today on the new rig. I will post them here as well.

Sweed, that big filter you write about. That's a bad ass thief. First time you use it, it will hold like 1.2 liter of your precious azeo. But from that point on, it will just give pretty much right away. Why? Because it stays full.

Okay, hope I covered all of your Q.s!

Odin.

Okej what ever ;-)
sweden

Previous

Return to Reflux & Packed Column