the modern distiller

Retainer for SPP or Other Packing

Retainer for SPP or Other Packing

Postby Brewsmith » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:32 pm

So I am in the process of putting my first reflux column together and I have hit a design question that I would love some input on. My Column is made from 2 pieces 24" lenghts of 2" copper pipe that have had 2" SS tri clamp ferrules hammered into the ends for the connections, and I am going to be running SPP from Manu as the packing. My question is how folks here have installed a retaining device to hold the packing in the column.

I know it is recommended to put a few scrubbies on the bottom to keep the SPP in place, what I am looking for is a solution that will be able to hold all that weight without collapsing. I have also read that some people are using mesh cones to increase the surface area for vapor entering the column, any design ideas there? Any ideas (and pics!) would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Brewsmith

Re: Retainer for SPP or Other Packing

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:39 pm

an inverted cone shaped screen seems to be the best option for the weight... there is a photo or two somewhere ... I will try and find it and post....the link
FullySilenced

Postby Bogdan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Simple - You make a plate with plenty of appropriate sized hole that fits between the faces of the tri clamp flanges - you will need some gasket material both sides of the plate. If you have ever seen the way the bubble plate fits into a SD column you will understand what I mean, although they use a single gasket with the plate smaller than the flange OD. This is a good idea as well and you just need to carefully cut the inner bit off a 2" silicon gasket to make it work.
Bogdan

Postby myles » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:49 pm

As your stainless ferrule is inside the copper tube the top of the ferrule makes a lip you can rest on.

Solder up a simple X from 2 strips of copper, so that it is a bit bigger than the copper tube. Push it in from the ferrule end and the ends of the copper X will rest on the lip with the centre domed up to support a stainless scrubber. The weight of the packing just pushes it into the lip, but you can remove it later if you wish to, by pushing the X up into the column and releasing the legs from the lip. (Long nose pliers make it easy.)
myles

Postby Brendan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 pm

I agree with myles, if you can utilise the lip of the stainless steel ferrule...

Here's a method that I used in a 500mm tall modular section...

Made a 4" ring out of 1/4" tube, as you would do for an easy flange, then cut a little bit out of it to make it slightly smaller so that it would fit inside the 4" coloumn. Make it just small enough, so that it needs a good tap with the hammer to get in there, that way it wont be falling out and will hold a bit of weight.

Then cut up a plate which was just small enough to be able to slide down the 4" tube, and drilled lots of holes in it. This way the plate is not fastened, but supported by the ring, and the plate can be removed easily :handgestures-thumbupright:

retainer1.JPG

retainer2.JPG

retainer3.JPG

p.s. This isn't the 500mm section obviously, just a test piece.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brendan

Postby manu de hanoi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm

scrubbers will hold, they hold on 3" too.
manu de hanoi

Postby Bushman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:28 am

I got a scrap piece of stainless steel grate, drew a circle to size, cut it with snips and tacked it on.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby DrWho » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:01 am

brewsmith, the mesh cones are the way to go:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=211&start=20

The bottom edge of the cone is retained by the sanity flange. It just rests on it.

There is also a picture of the mesh screen I was using. That caused terrible flooding at low power levels with both the lava rock and the SPP.

???
DrWho

Postby Brewsmith » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Agreed, I think the mesh cone approach will be the first I go with. I think I may still have some coarse ss mesh from a hopback I made for brewing, but for the record, what type of mesh have others used?

Ill dig up that mesh and try and work something out these next few days. Thanks for the numerous and prompt replies, keep em coming!
Brewsmith

Postby myles » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:08 pm

On the build I am doing at the moment I have a 3" column into a 2" connector to the keg. I soldered a ring onto the top of the 2" tube to make a small reduction in diameter and then soldered a length of flattened 1/4" tube across the centre. It is a bit basic but it should be sufficient to retain 1 stainless scrubber, that in turn will support the SPP.

The reduction in diameter is minimal - in fact it is fairly close to the internal dimension of the keg neck so it is not an issue, and it will help to support the stainless scrubber.

SPP retainer.jpg
myles

Postby Odin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:29 pm

A cross welded into the bottom of your column, one pad, then the SPP, then another pad.

http://www.istill.eu/#!iStill-pads-iPad ... /image1msf

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby myles » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:32 am

A pad at the top between the SPP and the reflux return point? Does that help disperse the retuning reflux condensate into the packing?
myles

Postby DAD » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:28 am

Hand bent, pressed fit SS Screen or several wires and a Scrubbie will do it! This has a gallon 6 kgs off SPP on top of it.
bottom r.jpg

I put another Scrubbie on top to disperse the reflux and prevent a flash flood on top the SPP.
DAD

Postby Odin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:11 pm

myles wrote:A pad at the top between the SPP and the reflux return point? Does that help disperse the retuning reflux condensate into the packing?

No Myles, dispersion or centering rings are not needed as long as SPP is smaller than 10 times column diameter. It is simply there to keep the SPP in place.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby Danespirit » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:50 am

Something like this could work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPDM-TRI-CLAMP- ... 2eb5ce2a0f

Of course with the appropriate dia in the meshholes.
Easy solution that fits with the triclamp. I thought about this when i was thinking about how to hold rashig rings in the column.

Dane
Danespirit

Return to Reflux & Packed Column